Off topic: Best spell check error ever...
Thread poster: Nele Van den Broeck
Nele Van den Broeck
Nele Van den Broeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 17:45
French to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 4, 2015

Today at my secretary day job, I received an e-mail from a very friendly client of ours who e-mails me a lot with the request to send him something we store in our dataroom.

What he wanted to write (on his phone):
Hi Nele,
Can you please send me...

What the spell check produced:
Hi male,

One minute later he sent me his apologies "Try that again (spell check error): Hi Nele, ...."

I was laughing for 20 minutes!
... See more
Today at my secretary day job, I received an e-mail from a very friendly client of ours who e-mails me a lot with the request to send him something we store in our dataroom.

What he wanted to write (on his phone):
Hi Nele,
Can you please send me...

What the spell check produced:
Hi male,

One minute later he sent me his apologies "Try that again (spell check error): Hi Nele, ...."

It's rather funny to know that a phone's spell check corrects your first name to male, especially when you're a member of the opposite sex
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:45
Member (2008)
Italian to English
wow Sep 4, 2015

Nele Van den Broeck wrote:

Wow - it's THAT funny?

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Siri acting up? Sep 4, 2015

It sounds more like a typical voice recognition error. I get them regularly from a friend who uses Siri.

TechStyle
TechStyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Auto-incorrect Sep 4, 2015

At my previous job, anything IT related was centralised: all requests had to be sent to the Helpdesk. The email package we used at the time auto-corrected that to "helpless" by default ... we generally considered this a Freudian slip.

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 17:45
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Talking of Freudian slips... Sep 4, 2015

I once had occasion to write to someone that I had been part of an 'all-gay' film crew; imagine my mirth when the spell-checker corrected that to 'all-American' — terribly Freudian, that

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Affects translation, too Sep 5, 2015

Now imagine trying to translate text messages that contain auto-correct errors. It's some of the most challenging work I've ever done.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:45
Russian to English
+ ...
The best ones I know of. Sep 5, 2015

I was trying to write to a very serious person by the name of Judy, and the phrase was changed form 'Hi Judy" or "Hello Judy" to "Hello Juicy". I caught it the last second.

Then, once my "woman" was corrected into "womb" and "where' changed into "whored" That's about it. Most spelling prediction programs are horrifying, unfortunately, since you never know what they will change to what.

[Edited at 2015-09-05 10:54 GMT]

TechStyle
TechStyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hi gays! Sep 5, 2015

Tony M wrote:

I once had occasion to write to someone that I had been part of an 'all-gay' film crew; imagine my mirth when the spell-checker corrected that to 'all-American' — terribly Freudian, that

That one reminded me of an email my colleague and I got from the boss a few years ago - addressed to "Hi gays". I blamed that on the colourful Hawaiian shirt my (straight, married!) colleague happened to be wearing that day...

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:45
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
My favorites Sep 5, 2015

The Word 2.0 spell checker had some weird habits. One of them was always replacing "nuvens" (= "clouds" in PT) with "nu vens" (= "naked you come" in PT).

A colleague of ours here in Brazil tells that when he was in charge of "Orders Administration" (= "Administração de Pedidos") in a company, he had a very fast typist who always wrote "Administração de Peidos" (= "Fart Administration") in his outgoing correspondence.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:45
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Looks like perfectly normal autocorrect functionality to me Sep 5, 2015

and not a spellcheck issue, at least on a phone. Assuming that the options are statistically driven by the most common typos, Nele>Male isn't that surprising, considering the proximity of n-m and a-e on the keypad

[Edited at 2015-09-05 19:13 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best spell check error ever...

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »