Is there a way to import a two-columns Word doc for translation?
Thread poster: Fabio Tursi
Fabio Tursi
Fabio Tursi  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:50
English to Italian
May 23, 2017

Hello!
I have a docx with two columns. The first one contains the source, the other is blank for translation.
Is there a way to import this in MemoQ, without having to copy&paste to an Excel Spreadsheet to use the multilingual delimited filter?
I thought I could copy the source on target, but I can't have MemoQ ignoring the source column.
Thank you!

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 17:50
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
hidden source text May 23, 2017

There's a simple procedure in MS Word when you copy the source text into the target column so the source column matches the target one precisely. Then, select the entire source column, press Ctrl+D and check the option that says "Hidden". Save and exit the Word file. Now you can import the Word file into memoQ and memoQ will ignore the source column because it ignores any hidden text. You will be working on the target text only and the source one is going to stay intact. After translating the fi... See more
There's a simple procedure in MS Word when you copy the source text into the target column so the source column matches the target one precisely. Then, select the entire source column, press Ctrl+D and check the option that says "Hidden". Save and exit the Word file. Now you can import the Word file into memoQ and memoQ will ignore the source column because it ignores any hidden text. You will be working on the target text only and the source one is going to stay intact. After translating the file, open the file, select the source column again, press Ctrl+D and uncheck "Hidden" option.Collapse

Fabio Tursi
United Kingdom
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Older version of Word, maybe? May 23, 2017

First of all, thanks for the answer.
If I press CTRL+D, it opens the font screen and I can't find "hidden" there or anywhere else. May this be an option not present in Word 2010?

Andriy Yasharov wrote:

There's a simple procedure in MS Word when you copy the source text into the target column so the source column matches the target one precisely. Then, select the entire source column, press Ctrl+D and check the option that says "Hidden". Save and exit the Word file. Now you can import the Word file into memoQ and memoQ will ignore the source column because it ignores any hidden text. You will be working on the target text only and the source one is going to stay intact. After translating the file, open the file, select the source column again, press Ctrl+D and uncheck "Hidden" option.

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 17:50
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Screenshot May 23, 2017

I believe that pressing Ctrl+D opens Font window where there's an option "Hidden" as shown below:

font-hidden-word

Fabio Tursi
United Kingdom
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 23, 2017

Thank you so much! I didn't notice. Great!!!

Nicholas Khow
Nicholas Khow
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:50
English to Russian
+ ...
Hidden text Jun 7, 2017

Ctrl + Shift + H is easier and faster

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to import a two-columns Word doc for translation?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »