Thread poster: Anja Evans
Anja Evans
Anja Evans  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:02
English to German
Jul 22, 2004

Dear fellow translators,

I am about to start my thesis for a technical translation course. My subject will be the evaluation/usabiliy testing of a speech recognition software.

I would like to consider the needs of translators/non native speakers for this evaluation in particular. For that purpose I need testers. At this time I only want to evaluate how many people would be ready to help me.

The actual tests will probably take place around October or Novembe
... See more
Dear fellow translators,

I am about to start my thesis for a technical translation course. My subject will be the evaluation/usabiliy testing of a speech recognition software.

I would like to consider the needs of translators/non native speakers for this evaluation in particular. For that purpose I need testers. At this time I only want to evaluate how many people would be ready to help me.

The actual tests will probably take place around October or November in the UK and/or Germany. The test will consist of two main tasks (dictation and correction of a private and a business letter) and a questionnaire. An introduction into working with the software will be given as far as necessary for the tasks (That are my first thoughts. I am still open for suggestions for test tasks that you think are more appropriate for the needs of translators).

The tests will be recorded (video and sound for transcription). But the records will not be published (unless explicitely permitted by the test person) and serve only an exact avaluation (and in the case of permission by tester for presentation of my thesis).

Tester profile:
- professional translator or translation student
- interested in speech recognition (experience is not necessary)
- native speaker of either English or German and fluent/working in the other
- resident of the UK (if possible North East) or Germany (around Hanover)or willing to travel for the test

I hope some of you match the profile and are willing to participate in the test. About 5 to 10 testers are needed.

Thank you very much in advance

Anja Schultz
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
I can participate Jul 22, 2004

Anja Schultz wrote:

Dear fellow translators,

The actual tests will probably take place around October or November in the UK and/or Germany. The test will consist of two main tasks (dictation and correction of a private and a business letter) and a questionnaire. An introduction into working with the software will be given as far as necessary for the tasks (That are my first thoughts. I am still open for suggestions for test tasks that you think are more appropriate for the needs of translators).

The tests will be recorded (video and sound for transcription). But the records will not be published (unless explicitely permitted by the test person) and serve only an exact avaluation (and in the case of permission by tester for presentation of my thesis).

Tester profile:
- professional translator or translation student
- interested in speech recognition (experience is not necessary)
- native speaker of either English or German and fluent/working in the other
- resident of the UK (if possible North East) or Germany (around Hanover)or willing to travel for the test

I hope some of you match the profile and are willing to participate in the test. About 5 to 10 testers are needed.

Thank you very much in advance

Anja Schultz
Hello Anja, Ich kann bei dem Test teilnehmen. Ich wohne aber in Belrin, und habe auch div. speech recogtion tools (IBM Via Voice, Dragon Speech usw., Du kannst mich durch Profilepage kontaktieren.
Gruss
Brandis

Jan Neumann
Jan Neumann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
Im Prinzip gern Jul 30, 2004

Hallo Anja,

Im Prinzip wäre ich gern bereit, bei der Sache mitzumachen - kommt ein bisschen auf den genauen Termin an. Wenn Du Dich 2-3 Wochen vorher nochmal bei mir meldest, müsste das eigentlich klappen.

Wohne im Süden von Hamburg in Autobahnnähe.
Erfahrung mit Sprecherkennungssoftware habe ich keine.

Gruß

Jan Neumann
(04174) 590 644

Anja Evans
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Vielen Dank und ich hoffe auf mehr Tester! Jul 31, 2004

Hallo,

erstmal bedanke ich mich recht herzlich bei den beiden, die sich bereits bereit erklärt haben.
Aber ich brauche immer noch weitere Tester! Wenigstens noch drei. Mehr schaden auch nicht! Also, wer will noch dazu beitragen, dass Spracherkennung auch für uns ("Sprachberufler" und "Fremdsprachenbenutzer") nützlicher wird, indem wir herausfinden, was noch nicht so gut läuft.

Vielen Dank schon mal im Voraus.

MFG

Anja Schultz

msherms
msherms  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
well... Sep 17, 2004

Hi Anja,

I am not quite sure if I fit your profile or not. I am a full-time translator (German-English). My native language is American English (hence the uncertainty) and I live in Bremen. I am fluent in German and I speak English/German at home. I would be willing to partipate if contacted ahead of time. Over the school holiday we may travel to Austria (this would be some time before Halloween and it is not a sure thing).

If you are interested, you can contact me via
... See more
Hi Anja,

I am not quite sure if I fit your profile or not. I am a full-time translator (German-English). My native language is American English (hence the uncertainty) and I live in Bremen. I am fluent in German and I speak English/German at home. I would be willing to partipate if contacted ahead of time. Over the school holiday we may travel to Austria (this would be some time before Halloween and it is not a sure thing).

If you are interested, you can contact me via my profile (if that doesn't work, let my know over the forum and I will somehow get in contact with you).

Regards,
Melanie Herms

msherms (user name)
Collapse

Anja Evans
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Vielen Dank Sep 19, 2004

Hello Melanie,
I've just tried to reply via your profile page and could not access it. Hopefully just a temporary problem.
I thank you for your willingness to take part in the test. As I've written in the request I want to first evaluate how many people would be willing to help me and with which language combination. Of course, the group of testers who will in the end actually take part should be quite homogenenous. But then again with the little number of testers I have found so far
... See more
Hello Melanie,
I've just tried to reply via your profile page and could not access it. Hopefully just a temporary problem.
I thank you for your willingness to take part in the test. As I've written in the request I want to first evaluate how many people would be willing to help me and with which language combination. Of course, the group of testers who will in the end actually take part should be quite homogenenous. But then again with the little number of testers I have found so far I might not be able to be very "picky".
We will see: I have to hand in the abstract for my thesis by the end of this month and am still looking for more testers to be able to be more precise about the actual candidates.

Thank you very much again and I will keep you and of course the others who were kind enough to declare their willingness to help me up to date concerning the thesis.

Have a nice rest of the weekend and a nice week ahead.

Anja

msherms wrote:

Hi Anja,

If you are interested, you can contact me via my profile (if that doesn't work, let my know over the forum and I will somehow get in contact with you).

Regards,
Melanie Herms

msherms (user name)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tester needed for graduation thesis on speech recognition

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »