Thread poster: Dr. Mara Huber
Dr. Mara Huber
Dr. Mara Huber  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:33
English to German
+ ...
Apr 27, 2017

Another money laundering attempt. I have reported it to the Canadian government agency FINTRAC that the scammer uses for his false identity:
------------------
Dear Sir or Madam,

please find enclosed an e-mail from someone claiming he is Mr. Cossette, director of Fintrac. His first mail came through the translator´s platform proz.com, http://www.proz.com/translator/1338704
... See more
Another money laundering attempt. I have reported it to the Canadian government agency FINTRAC that the scammer uses for his false identity:
------------------
Dear Sir or Madam,

please find enclosed an e-mail from someone claiming he is Mr. Cossette, director of Fintrac. His first mail came through the translator´s platform proz.com, http://www.proz.com/translator/1338704 on April 19; I have not kept it. In that first mail he asked to contact him for financial translation. In his second mail, which I have attached in order to preserve its IP, it is clear what he really wants. Hope this is useful.
--
Ein freundlicher Gruss / Kind regards

Dr. Mara Huber
www.language-wizard.de (Deutsch)
www.language-wizard.eu (English)
-----------------------------
His text is:

"Dear Huber,

I have been very busy with work that's why there has been slow communication between us. However, after my client passed away, we have not been able to locate any next of kin for the funds we have been trying to get released to her before her death. So now that this is becoming a huge challenge for us, myself and my associates are willing to put you as the next of kin of our late client so we can instruct our bankers to release funds to you while you take 30% and have the rest 70% wired to us.

If you are willing to do this, do let me know so I can provide proper documentations and more informations. Thanks

Mr. Cossette."
Collapse

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:33
Japanese to English
+ ...
Money laundering Apr 27, 2017

This used to be a Nigerian scam. They tell you about "a child now orphaned" or a "widow" who has a huge inheritance and they would like to deposit the inheritance in your bank account. The inheritance consists of millions of dollars (or pounds or euros) but they would need you to put up a certain amount of money (usually in the 1000's of dollars) in advance to "facilitate transfer". And of course they would never lie to you. etc, etc, etc.

Dr. Mara Huber
Dr. Mara Huber  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:33
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nigeria Connection Apr 27, 2017

Yes, that used to be the Nigeria Connection. However, they used to make more spelling and grammar mistakes than this one, and give British mail addresses. This is a LITTLE bit more sophisticated, but quite the same MO.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beware of money laundering attempt using false FINTRAC identity

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »