Encrypted cloud backup solution that doesn't need a local folder on the PC?
Thread poster: Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 17, 2016

Is there an encrypted cloud backup solution that doesn't need a local folder on the PC the way Dropbox and Google Disk do and can just track specific files and folders wherever they are?

What I want to achieve is to minimize the amount of data that are backed up in this way.

[Edited at 2016-12-17 17:17 GMT]

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Most cloud backup solutions require a local folder Dec 17, 2016

I use Dropbox, Amazon Cloud, Apple's iCloud and Google Drive (not to mention Microsoft's OneDrive on my iPhone). They all require a local folder on your PC.

Now, these solutions are meant for a few gigabytes (the free versions, that is) of data, not the entire computer hard drive.

The last phrase seems to indicate you want to track specific files and folders. Well, you can't track them unless you synchronize them across one or more computers and the cloud (i.e. Interne
... See more
I use Dropbox, Amazon Cloud, Apple's iCloud and Google Drive (not to mention Microsoft's OneDrive on my iPhone). They all require a local folder on your PC.

Now, these solutions are meant for a few gigabytes (the free versions, that is) of data, not the entire computer hard drive.

The last phrase seems to indicate you want to track specific files and folders. Well, you can't track them unless you synchronize them across one or more computers and the cloud (i.e. Internet). Other than that, you'd need to specify what scenario you want to achieve.
Collapse

Darius Sciuka
Darius Sciuka  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 21:56
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Crashplan Dec 17, 2016

Crashplan, for instance, has the features you need. You can specify files/folders to backup, and they are regularly synchronized with the cloud storage. You can group your backups in sets and specify different synchronization interval for each set. It is designed specifically as a backup solution so it is not good for sharing your images/files or viewing them online.

Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Crashplan looks like something worth considering Dec 17, 2016

Darius Sciuka wrote:

Crashplan, for instance, has the features you need. You can specify files/folders to backup, and they are regularly synchronized with the cloud storage. You can group your backups in sets and specify different synchronization interval for each set. It is designed specifically as a backup solution so it is not good for sharing your images/files or viewing them online.

Thank you Darius, Crashplan looks like something worth considering in my case. For file sharing etc., there are indeed plenty of alternatives including the ones Mario listed.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Encrypted cloud backup solution that doesn't need a local folder on the PC?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »