Thread poster: Steph Noviss
Steph Noviss
Steph Noviss
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 3, 2017

I'm hoping this is a straightforward question, but I can't seem to find the answer to it anywhere.

I'm a sole trader in the UK and not VAT-registered.

A client has requested a notarised translation of a marriage certificate. I've been quoted £170+VAT for the notarisation and the notary says I will need to pass on the full cost, inclusive of VAT, to the client when I invoice.

Is this correct? Since the client will ultimately be paying me back for the VAT as
... See more
I'm hoping this is a straightforward question, but I can't seem to find the answer to it anywhere.

I'm a sole trader in the UK and not VAT-registered.

A client has requested a notarised translation of a marriage certificate. I've been quoted £170+VAT for the notarisation and the notary says I will need to pass on the full cost, inclusive of VAT, to the client when I invoice.

Is this correct? Since the client will ultimately be paying me back for the VAT as part of the total fee, am I right in assuming there is nothing more I need to do?

Steph
Collapse

Agneta Pallinder
Agneta Pallinder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:32
Member (2014)
Swedish to English
+ ...
You are right May 3, 2017

Because you are not VAT-registered, you will not be able to claim back the notary's VAT. Therefore you need to include the whole amount of the notary's invoice in your calculation of your invoice to your customer. Otherwise you would be out of pocket.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

VAT question (sole trader)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »