Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:52
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same here! Sep 15, 2017

Natalia Pedrosa wrote:
I must admit I am a very early riser and a late owl, so I cover practically all time zones.
What I must also say is that my performance at work is better in the morning and late at night.

Exactly my case. Most productive early in the morning and then after 8 PM or so, even if I get tired when this goes for many days in a row. My plan and wish is always to stop working at 3 PM in a working day (I mean Mon-Fri) and enjoy the afternoon off, but I can do that twice or thrice in the year. Most of the year, I also get up early on Saturdays and Sundays and work for a couple of hours to catch up on next Monday's deliveries.

Yolande Hivart
Yolande Hivart
Austria
Member (2016)
German to French
Morning Sep 15, 2017

I love the morning hours before anyone thinks of sending me an e-mail or calling me. I use these few hours for work that demand most concentration. I do not use an alarm clock however, i can wake up on 6 or as well as 9 if i had a long working night before.
Before working, I have however quite a morning ritual that takes some time but then afterwards i am most awake.
Unless i have a heavy workload I use the hours before going to sleep for less demanding tasks. After 8 to 10 hours bra
... See more
I love the morning hours before anyone thinks of sending me an e-mail or calling me. I use these few hours for work that demand most concentration. I do not use an alarm clock however, i can wake up on 6 or as well as 9 if i had a long working night before.
Before working, I have however quite a morning ritual that takes some time but then afterwards i am most awake.
Unless i have a heavy workload I use the hours before going to sleep for less demanding tasks. After 8 to 10 hours brainstorming, i spend the late hours on the receptive modus, reading or doing light hobbies. Translations done on the night time are not of my bests.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Fiona Sep 15, 2017

Fiona Grace Peterson wrote:
So what about you? How do your sleep habits fit into your work schedule?

I'm 6 hours ahead of most of my clients, so delivering at "start of business" means delivering at 3 PM, which is nice.

It also means, however, that work can come in at any time until 11 PM. If I go to bed before 11 (or even slightly after 11), I sometimes/often miss assignments (the ones sent by clients who stay at their offices until 6 or 7 in the evening). It also means that if I do get such a late assignment, and I learn about it at 9 AM in my own time zone, I can't get any confirmation of the job until 3 PM (unless the agency has multiple offices).

Nadja Balogh
Nadja Balogh  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Japanese to German
+ ...
No late night work for me! Sep 15, 2017

I never work later than 6 PM - just as much as I need enough sleep, I absolutely need the evening time off after a day of work, which usually starts on the early side, though not lark-early. This also means that I never accept any rush projects which would force me to work in the evening/at night.

My Asian clients can reach me in the morning, my European clients during the day and my US clients shortly before I’m done with work, so everything works quite well without adapting to a
... See more
I never work later than 6 PM - just as much as I need enough sleep, I absolutely need the evening time off after a day of work, which usually starts on the early side, though not lark-early. This also means that I never accept any rush projects which would force me to work in the evening/at night.

My Asian clients can reach me in the morning, my European clients during the day and my US clients shortly before I’m done with work, so everything works quite well without adapting to anyone else’s time zone.
Collapse

Ioanna Daskalopoulou
Ioanna Daskalopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 23:52
English
+ ...
Night owl! Sep 15, 2017

Hello everyone and thank you for raising this interesting topic.

I usually work better during the night as being a mother of two children I do all my work concerning family (and not only) during the morning hours.
As our profession requires a lot of concentration and we need to be coherent to our texts, I personally concentrate better during night hours because I can work without being disturbed by anyone.

In the morning of course I usually tend to review my text
... See more
Hello everyone and thank you for raising this interesting topic.

I usually work better during the night as being a mother of two children I do all my work concerning family (and not only) during the morning hours.
As our profession requires a lot of concentration and we need to be coherent to our texts, I personally concentrate better during night hours because I can work without being disturbed by anyone.

In the morning of course I usually tend to review my texts to make sure I didn't miss anything out during my night 'adventure'!
Collapse

Helga Lemiere
Helga Lemiere  Identity Verified
France
German to French
it depends Sep 15, 2017

personally I work on regular jobs between 9 am and 2 pm, and handle high volume projects mainly between 7 pm and 10 pm. I need 7 hours of sleep to be 100 percent efficient. I found my rythme, not only my 'work and sleep' ryhme but my personal 'work-family-couple-hobbies-sleep' rythme. Mainly after very high volume projects, I take off for 3 or 4 days sleeping a little bit more ;-D

AgriTech
AgriTech  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
More of a night owl Sep 15, 2017

I never have been good at getting up early, I guess that's probably because I have a hard time getting to bed early... ;o)
I used to get up to get my daughter to school at 6:30, and then I stayed up, walked the dog and got to work, but I was always feeling tired and grumpy.
The last two years, I started going back to bed for another sleep cycle until 9:30-10:00, and I find myself much more productive and in a better mood with the extra sleep!!! Sure, I also have to sometimes work fo
... See more
I never have been good at getting up early, I guess that's probably because I have a hard time getting to bed early... ;o)
I used to get up to get my daughter to school at 6:30, and then I stayed up, walked the dog and got to work, but I was always feeling tired and grumpy.
The last two years, I started going back to bed for another sleep cycle until 9:30-10:00, and I find myself much more productive and in a better mood with the extra sleep!!! Sure, I also have to sometimes work for a couple hours in the evening if I have a morning deadline or a big project, but I don't mind, now that my daughter is older she doesn't need me that much before bed anymore... ;o)
It sure is nice to have the luxury of setting your own work hours!
Collapse

Sarah Lewis-Morgan
Sarah Lewis-Morgan  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
Not a morning person Sep 15, 2017

I don't function properly until after about 10 am. I had to this morning after receiving an early phone call about an urgent job, but normally I ease myself into working late in the morning and I often work quite late. But having the dog to force me to take breaks, and aiming to fit in some riding as often as I can, my working day tends to be broken up into chunks. I work about 8 hours a day, sometimes more depending on the available work - and the weather. I could never go back to working in a ... See more
I don't function properly until after about 10 am. I had to this morning after receiving an early phone call about an urgent job, but normally I ease myself into working late in the morning and I often work quite late. But having the dog to force me to take breaks, and aiming to fit in some riding as often as I can, my working day tends to be broken up into chunks. I work about 8 hours a day, sometimes more depending on the available work - and the weather. I could never go back to working in a 9 to 5 job.Collapse

Joohee Kim
Joohee Kim  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 05:52
Member (2017)
English to Korean
+ ...
Night owl Sep 18, 2017

My sleep habit depends on the deadline, but I usually sleep 6-7 hours. Also, it's good to be a night owl as a freelance translator!

Dimitar Dimitrov
Dimitar Dimitrov
Bulgaria
Local time: 23:52
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
I'm a typical owl Dec 17, 2018

So i absolutely prefer working in the late hours. I very rarely accept work that is to be done before noon.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sleep habits and freelancing

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »