I love it when they tell you they want the translation back by Monday 12:00 and then...
Thread poster: Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:09
Spanish to French
+ ...
Oct 2, 2017

you get this when you send it:

"Thank you for your message. I am currently out of office. I will be back on Wednesday, October 4th, 2017."

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2017-10-03 14:10 GMT]

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
A possibility Oct 2, 2017

Christophe Delaunay wrote:

they tell you they want the translation back by Monday 12:00 and then you get this when you send it:

"Thank you for your message. I am currently out of office. I will be back on Wednesday, October 4th, 2017."

Hi Christophe,

The following situation could have happened:

If an office is closed it doesn't mean emails are not received.
Maybe the company/person doesn't want to deal with new emails/projects till October 4th, but he/she receives your email & your translation on his/her mobile phone/home pc/laptop etc. If this is the case usually the person sends you a feedback that your translation was received and so she/he can send it either to the end clients or to the proofreader.

Hopefully this happened with your mail.

Best regards,
Katalin

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Lol Oct 2, 2017

... and then some time in November they email you to ask whether you've done it yet

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
... they get frantic ... Oct 2, 2017

... about the must-have deadline for Monday at 12 noon for a can't-miss meeting, and then they tell you post-delivery at 5 pm on Monday that they've made a few changes for another must-have can't-miss deadline the following day.

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
...long-standing collaboration with you... Oct 2, 2017

When they tell you, because of late payment (and multiple reminders)that you should have been more understanding and trusting because of 'the long-standing collaboration they have had with you! As if the collaboration was not mutually beneficial but benefited only the translator! It cuts both ways! They know you cannot use the BB as you would not want to risk not getting any more work from them if possible, but who wants to run the risk of not being paid or being paid when they are in a position... See more
When they tell you, because of late payment (and multiple reminders)that you should have been more understanding and trusting because of 'the long-standing collaboration they have had with you! As if the collaboration was not mutually beneficial but benefited only the translator! It cuts both ways! They know you cannot use the BB as you would not want to risk not getting any more work from them if possible, but who wants to run the risk of not being paid or being paid when they are in a position to pay, maybe, besides the hassle of finding ways to contact them so as to get paid?Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:09
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
... they ask me about the translation I should have delivered a week ago... Oct 2, 2017

... and I give them the date, hour, minute and time zone when I sent it via e-mail - as requested - ten days ago, and they find it in their inbox, unopened.

Best case so far was when asked me about when I would be delivering a translation that I had uploaded to the proper place in their messy FTP site, as requested, two weeks before.

Laura Kingdon
Laura Kingdon  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:09
Member (2015)
French to English
+ ...
I return an "urgent" translation... Oct 3, 2017

...and then hear nothing for a month or more, and then suddenly they want me to look over some edits or terminology changes they made. Naturally, my review should also be finished urgently, even though this project is evidently not so urgent that it couldn't wait a month while they made their changes.

Vera Schoen
Vera Schoen  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2008)
German to Swedish
+ ...
My best one Oct 4, 2017

A PM once phoned and was furious about me not having delivered a very, very important and urgent (so she said) translation that was due a week ago. Turned out she had never sent me a request or the job, she just thought she had.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I love it when they tell you they want the translation back by Monday 12:00 and then...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »