Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66] >
Off topic: 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing
Thread poster: Renquan Yang
chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
为什么没有证据就坚持认为他说过? Apr 17, 2008

在这种敏感时刻,我希望大家说话要认真考虑,不要火上加油。

wherestip wrote:

isahuang wrote:

如果巴黎市长真地说过类似的话,我是一定会看他当时所说的原话及时什么情况下说的。当然,不管是在如何的context下说的,如果他真说过,都是极其不妥。

Well, even shock jocks could only push the envelope so far. Remember Don Imus and his nappy-headed hos comment?

For a big city mayor to utter such derogatory racial remarks is totally unthinkable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Imus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_jock

[Edited at 2008-04-17 15:23]

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:20
Chinese to English
+ ...
Speaking up Apr 17, 2008

chance wrote:

为什么没有证据就坚持认为他说过?

chance,

Where do you see me saying that he uttered those remarks? I just want to condemn them since they are in black and white.

The same thing applies to many of the inappropriate racial remarks, be it intentional or out of "thoughtlessness".

[Edited at 2008-04-17 17:47]

isahuang
isahuang
Local time: 22:20
English to Chinese
+ ...
我想 Apr 17, 2008

Jason Ma wrote:

"courage", "threat" is not mentioned in the above post. I believe there is slight difference there.

What Jason meant is being an actress, Joan Chen has to think about her career and what an article like that would cost her career. But Joan Chen is well established and she has not been very active in Hollywood for a while. So It won't really have any impact on her career. True here you can express all kinds of opinions in ways permitted by law. But you also need to prepare to face the consequences your action might bring. Government here doesn't 封杀 media or different opinions, but its the various organizations or simply general public that will strongly protest offensive remarks or thoughts that go against the mainstream thinking. IMO China should let the general public have more power. It won't necessarily all go against the government. The link below shows what happened to Dixie Chicks after their anti Bush remark.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Music/03/14/dixie.chicks.reut/

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
如果你能尽量用中文 Apr 17, 2008

也许我能更好地理解你的意思。

前面不是有人强调应该尽量用中文吗?这样可以更好地避免误会。

wherestip wrote:

chance wrote:

为什么没有证据就坚持认为他说过?

chance,

Where do you see me saying that he uttered those remarks? I just what to condemn them since they are in black and white.

The same thing applies to many of the racial remarks made in this forum.

[Edited at 2008-04-17 15:31]

isahuang
isahuang
English to Chinese
+ ...
I was about to mention don Imus Apr 17, 2008

wherestip wrote:

isahuang wrote:

如果巴黎市长真地说过类似的话,我是一定会看他当时所说的原话及时什么情况下说的。当然,不管是在如何的context下说的,如果他真说过,都是极其不妥。

Well, even shock jocks could only push the envelope so far. Remember Don Imus and his on-the-air racial slur?

For a big city mayor to utter such derogatory racial remarks is totally unthinkable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Imus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_jock

[Edited at 2008-04-17 15:26]

Jack Cafferty's remark reminded me of Don Imus. If Cafferty's remark was made referring to the Chinese here, he would surely have to resign.

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
你说的美国这种情况,我也知道一些 Apr 17, 2008

但是这次美国舆论和大众不是没有对西藏问题及其有关方面做更多的评论吗?

isahuang wrote:

Jason Ma wrote:

"courage", "threat" is not mentioned in the above post. I believe there is slight difference there.

What Jason meant is being an actress, Joan Chen has to think about her career and what an article like that would cost her career. But Joan Chen is well established and she has not been very active in Hollywood for a while. So It won't really have any impact on her career. True here you can express all kinds of opinions in ways permitted by law. But you also need to prepare to face the consequences your action might bring. Government here doesn't 封杀 media or different opinions, but its the various organizations or simply general public that will strongly protest offensive remarks or thoughts that go against the mainstream thinking. IMO China should let the general public have more power. It won't necessarily all go against the government. The link below shows what happened to Dixie Chicks after their anti Bush remark.

isahuang
isahuang
English to Chinese
+ ...
这主要是因为美国人比较实际 Apr 17, 2008

chance wrote:

但是这次美国舆论和大众不是没有对西藏问题及其有关方面做更多的评论吗?

isahuang wrote:

Jason Ma wrote:

大批国债掌握在中国人手里,中国现在是美国人的银行。还有就是美国政府在这件事上主张幕后外交,因为在跟中国政府交往了这么多年后,他们知道幕后外交比公开的抵制及一味的批评更有效。

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
如果幕后外交能更有效 Apr 17, 2008

当然更好,谁也不愿看到现在的局面。

isahuang wrote:

还有就是美国政府在这件事上主张幕后外交,因为在跟中国政府交往了这么多年后,他们知道幕后外交比公开的抵制及一味的批评更有效。

Jason Ma
Jason Ma  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 10:20
English to Chinese
+ ...
Then it's a different story Apr 17, 2008

and it surely doesn' apply to Joan Chen's situation.

chance wrote:
我加了一段,你再看看是否有联系?
如果你仍不同意,那么你认为在何种情况下才需要勇气呢?

Jason Ma wrote:

Jason Ma
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Hi! folks, is there anyone interested in Olympic GAMES? Apr 17, 2008

Maybe it's too far away. 100 days is long enough to wait.

[Edited at 2008-04-17 16:27]

[Edited at 2008-04-17 16:31]

[Edited at 2008-04-17 16:33]

isahuang
isahuang
English to Chinese
+ ...
I wish I could be in Beijing at that time to see myself Apr 17, 2008

Jason Ma wrote:

Maybe it's too far away, 100 days.

but the airline tickets are prohibitively expensive. so I have to wait after the game.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:20
English to Chinese
+ ...
化名 Apr 17, 2008

陈冲如果用一个Chamerica之类的化名,那就无论在哪里发表文章、无论说什么样的话都不会受到什么威胁了,而且还可以表示既爱中国,又爱美国。:D

Jason Ma
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
I guess Apr 17, 2008

American track teams will capture plenty of gold medals this time. Any favourite sports star in your mind?

isahuang wrote:

Jason Ma wrote:

Maybe it's too far away, 100 days.

but the airline tickets are prohibitively expensive. so I have to wait after the game.

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
总不能为威胁人的做法自豪吧? Apr 17, 2008

总不能为威胁人的做法自豪吧?也不能采用造谣生事的方法来恶意重伤或挑拨离间。

[Edited at 2008-04-17 16:44]

Jason Ma
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Hahaha, Mr. Sun, you followed Chance all the way here from her tea house Apr 17, 2008

Joan Chen could have used the name you proposed. plus, there's nothing wrong to love parents and in-laws at the same time.
Secretly speaking, I still adore her. I hope my understanding of her article was not misled by the person she is
Yueyin Sun wrote:

陈冲如果用一个Chamerica之类的化名,那就无论在哪里发表文章、无论说什么样的话都不会受到什么威胁了,而且还可以表示既爱中国,又爱美国。:D

[Edited at 2008-04-17 17:01]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

2008 Olympic Games in Beijing

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »