Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Rates for telephone interpreting
Thread poster: Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
atarget (X)
atarget (X)
Local time: 19:13
Polish to English
Been doing OPI in the US Jan 19, 2011

Interpreter246 wrote:

I was wondering if anyone can advise me on the telephone providers contract for a landline. I am considering having a landline installed to try telephone interpreting. The provider I signed the contract promised the wrong install date, 4 weeks difference I shouldn't complain really.;).
My issue is -he claims I should not have signed up for a contract for private landline use for interpreting purposes but should have informed it's for business use. I disagree as I am not even sure I will be doing phone interpreting at all so in this case the landline would be for my private use.
What's more, I've read somewhere that sole proprietors like myself are treated as private users by phone companies.
Can anyone tell me if I have broken any law, which I never heard of to report that I might use my landline for work from home? Or is this phone company just bluffing trying to get out of his won obligations?
Has

S

for quite a few years . If you're an IC no agency can make you restrict your landline to "business use". Additionally, if you also have a cell phone you are allowed to deduct ALL landline expenses as a cost of running business from your home. In fact, even if you do not have your own cell phone but your kid who has one lives with you, same deduction is allowed. If you're an employee of OPI company, they usually pay for both : installation of second landline in your dwelling and monthly bill for that line. Some companies will give you " a stipend" for the latter - based on "nationally averaged phone bill". Here, if you're IC working from home, you are also allowed to deduct a fraction of your property taxes , utilities and property depreciacion, as well as (amortized) costs of new office equipment and other office expenses. All of it gives you nice deduction and significantly lowers taxes you owe.
Hope it helps.

[Edited at 2011-01-19 13:52 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-01-19 13:52 GMT]

Interpreter246
Interpreter246
Local time: 00:13
Thank you very much Jan 19, 2011

That does help a lot. That is exactly what I thought- the phone operator trying to justify his own incompetence by making up non- existing laws. It's good I can add the line rental etc to my expenses for tax purposes. The agencies however do not offer to reimburse the costs here. The main one, the one that widely operates in the US doesn't refund the costs in the UK either. Or maybe it's just me.
Thank you do much again-I
... See more
That does help a lot. That is exactly what I thought- the phone operator trying to justify his own incompetence by making up non- existing laws. It's good I can add the line rental etc to my expenses for tax purposes. The agencies however do not offer to reimburse the costs here. The main one, the one that widely operates in the US doesn't refund the costs in the UK either. Or maybe it's just me.
Thank you do much again-I couldnt find this info anywhere else.
Collapse

Cristiano Vladmaker
Cristiano Vladmaker
Brazil
Local time: 20:13
Member (2023)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
As a telephone interpreter in Brazil. Feb 20, 2011

I totally agree with Stevenal...

Jennifer Gal
Jennifer Gal  Identity Verified
Hungary
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Other reasons to do OPI Feb 23, 2011

Parrot wrote:

You know? For people who stay at home with nothing to do but twiddle their thumbs. Might as well employ them.

There is a broader set of reasons to do OPI. For instance:

1.) Being a stay-at-home mom. It's actually pretty cool to take a break from laundry and use a skill that I worked 15 years developing before I had kids. I'm not twiddling my thumbs at home, nor am I unqualified for other types of interpreting. It's a lifestyle choice that fits my values.

2.) To accommodate physical disability.

3.) For interpreters who are uncomfortable in social settings, for instance if they're shy about their physical appearance. They could still have excellent language skills, and work well with the shield of the telephone.

4.) To earn extra money while doing written translations. For instance, when working on a long document, taking breaks is healthy and refreshing. Interpreting calls are great for this purpose, and neither activity detracts from the other.

5.) For the pleasure of providing assistance to one's compatriots. For the most part, OPI calls are from people of my ethnicity who experience medical difficulties in the U.S. Navigating such circumstances is rendered a little less unpleasant by having an interpreter, especially one who is competent in the specificities of medical interpreting. I enjoy helping my compatriots in that way. This is particularly applicable to interpreters of very rare languages. For the speaker of a rare language, having an interpreter can be a tremendous blessing, sometimes a lifesaving one!

6.)One could do OPI just to maintain sharp speaking skills between in-person assignments, especially if one doesn't have many other opportunities to speak the language and can't visit the other country very often. Even one or two hours a day of phone interpreting can be beneficial in this regard. Also, it can reinforce terminology learned through written translations. Hearing and speaking a word implants it in the mind better than just reading and writing it. However, one might not have a reason to discuss chemotherapy protocols or ARV drugs in everyday life, especially if it's not pertinent to one's immediate acquaintances. So phone interpreting can be a venue for that.

I'm sure there are other reasons, too.

Darko Bartula
Vehbi Bajraktari

ingridleeman
ingridleeman
United States
Local time: 18:13
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Stipend Jun 20, 2012

So I have been doing OPI for over 4 years and I have a full time job who nicely pay benefits and not so bad pay per hour and I also do freelancing as an IC when I am not on my shift.
I have been unable to work full time because of health related issues, so I just take calls when I am able.
Since the call volume for the company I work as an IC , dropped ( and I am pretty sure it is because they are contracting work from other country with less pay), I have been looking for a company w
... See more
So I have been doing OPI for over 4 years and I have a full time job who nicely pay benefits and not so bad pay per hour and I also do freelancing as an IC when I am not on my shift.
I have been unable to work full time because of health related issues, so I just take calls when I am able.
Since the call volume for the company I work as an IC , dropped ( and I am pretty sure it is because they are contracting work from other country with less pay), I have been looking for a company with higher call volumes to aggregate.
So this company sent me an offer that includes a stipend and minute pay (lower than I am used to) and I have never heard of it be fore and would like to know how it works.

ompensation Package:
The following is our rate offer:
1. Stipend: $?.?0 for every call after an hour interval, so if U receive 2 or more calls within the hour, U will receive the $?.?0 stipend for the 1st call only and U won't receive the $?.?0 stipend for the second and succeeding calls WITHIN THE HOUR.
2. Per minute rate: $0.??/min. for the actual serviced call.

(Sorry I did not show amounts for NDA purposes but it is more than 1 dollar and less than 3)

So what does this mean? Any insights/knowledge about it?

[Edited at 2012-06-20 23:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-06-20 23:11 GMT]
Collapse

Marzena Fryc-Gibson

Yama144
Yama144
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:13
Greek to English
+ ...
Hi, Feb 15, 2018

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons) wrote:

Hi, I am aware that this issue depends on various elements, as for instance the language combination and location, demand, etc., but I am wondering whether I am the only one which is offered ridiculous rates like 0.30 US cent per minute, for the language combination En/It/En and medical interpreting (!!)

Thank you,
Giusi

I have a similar query and came across your post. It does depend on a various factors. Having said that I am working at a rate of 035 GBP per minute and this includes anti-social hours during the holidays i.e the Christmas that has just passed.

I was wondering what the industry standard was. As I am not that experienced. Although I do have my own opinion on the matter.

My specialty is legal and this is a more generic interpretation for the commercial sector. Calls are often taken from overseas hence the anti-social hours.

Thanks

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for telephone interpreting

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »