Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:55
Dutch to English
+ ...
I take my hat off to you Apr 16, 2015

Victoria Britten wrote:

Rachel Waddington wrote:

Not much call for that kind of knowledge in the technical documentation that I translate (or in any kind of formal writing, I would think).

And almost too much call for it in some of what I do, the most extreme (and recent) example being subtitling a documentary about teenage girls on inner-city housing estates!

That would be my nightmare job - I simply wouldn't understand it. Give me train wheels and wind turbines any day!

Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:55
Chinese to English
Lucky so far Apr 16, 2015

It's a minor miracle that #7 hasn't (yet) inspired dozens of irate posts.

[Edited at 2015-04-16 13:52 GMT]

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:55
Dutch to English
Can an agency be my colleague? Apr 16, 2015

Good list, but as for #10, I don't have a colleague to proof my work. The extra costs would price me out of my market (agencies). Agencies pay me less than direct customers would and one of the reasons is that they take responsibility for proofreading my work. This works fine for me (and, I assume, for them).

AnneMarieG
AnneMarieG  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:55
German to French
+ ...
Right! Apr 17, 2015

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei wrote:

Icecreamqueen wrote:
6. A good translator is a word nerd with at least four books stacked on their bedside table.

Pfft. Amateurs.

Amateurs!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Ten Commandments of How to be a Good Translator

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »