Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
A new linguistic challenge in France? No using meat words for vegeterian foods?
Thread poster: Caryl Swift
Nina Esser
Nina Esser
Germany
Local time: 21:06
English to German
Cow's milk and babies Apr 23, 2018

I'm aware it's got nothing to do with linguistics, but I can't help to point out that you shouldn't be feeding cow's milk to babies either. Cow's milk is for calves. Babies should be breastfed or receive formula.

A bit more on-topic: I've always thought that the main idea behind all those vegetarian alternatives was to provide vegetarians with something that tastes like meat, but without the 'ethical' burden of real meat (how livestock is raised and slaughtered). I don't see the poi
... See more
I'm aware it's got nothing to do with linguistics, but I can't help to point out that you shouldn't be feeding cow's milk to babies either. Cow's milk is for calves. Babies should be breastfed or receive formula.

A bit more on-topic: I've always thought that the main idea behind all those vegetarian alternatives was to provide vegetarians with something that tastes like meat, but without the 'ethical' burden of real meat (how livestock is raised and slaughtered). I don't see the point in finding a different name for the product and establishing a whole new food universe when the main selling proposition of the product actually is close resemblance to the existing food universe...
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Er... Apr 23, 2018

DZiW wrote:
Unfortunately, uneducated, weirds, criminals, "especials", and other self-injurious and self-restraint politically-corrected 'alternatives' deliberately use twisted words with 'intra-meaning',r cant expressions, exclusive argotic rights and sheer casuistry--imposing "their rules".

Blimey, it’s like when Confucius met Google Translate

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
yes and no Apr 24, 2018

Nina Esser wrote:

A bit more on-topic: I've always thought that the main idea behind all those vegetarian alternatives was to provide vegetarians with something that tastes like meat, but without the 'ethical' burden of real meat (how livestock is raised and slaughtered). I don't see the point in finding a different name for the product and establishing a whole new food universe when the main selling proposition of the product actually is close resemblance to the existing food universe...

You are quite right Nina, that babies should be breastfed or receive formula, unfortunately it is not always the case especially in places where formula is expensive. Mothers start out wanting to give the formula precisely because it's expensive (and therefore perceived as modern and Western and scientific), they think it must be better than their own milk. Especially in societies that denigrate women. Then when money gets tight the baby is switched to watered-down cow's milk.

As for your second point: yes, there are vegetarians who still hanker after the taste of meat and they may want to eat substitutes that attempt to imitate the taste. But then there are also vegetarians who would rather simply eat food knowing that it isn't meat. Some find anything that resembles meat to be disgusting. Some avoid meat for health reasons only and don't care about the ethics. So there's a whole range of possibilities, and lots of different categories for marketing departments to cater to. The one thing that is important across the board is that everyone should be aware of what the food actually is, in case of allergies and any other health issues.

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Milk Apr 24, 2018

Let's hope no-one is feeding their babies cleansing milk or having a nibble on sausage dogs.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Vegan sausage Apr 24, 2018

If you can't call it a vegan sausage, what can you call it? A vegan banger? Might be a dodgy alternative. Vegausage? Are we seeing a breakthrough here? No? Well, come on, you MPs, if you're going to pose the problem, at least try to come up with a few alternatives yourselves. Could be part of a larger sinister master plan to do away with vegan and force people back on to meat. If they can't sell it, nobody can eat it. Fiendishly simple. I think we should be told.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:06
Danish to English
+ ...
Vegan sausage Apr 24, 2018

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

If you can't call it a vegan sausage, what can you call it?

Edible object of plant origin in the shape of an elongated rod with semi-spherical ends.

Accompanied by two pages of disclaimers to warn carnivores that it isn't meat, and vegetarians and vegans that is has no relation to meat, and people in general not to feed it to their babies, cats, dogs, pet frogs or any other animal without prior medical or veterinarian approval, and that this is not a complete nutritional substitute for meat, and that the company shall not be liable for any inappropriate use of their product.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thomas Apr 24, 2018

Kind of cuts out the snappy marketing, though. Choose the XYZ Edible Objects of Plant Origin in the Shape of an Elongated Rod with Semi-spherical Ends Company for your delicious edible objects of plant origin in the shape of an elongated rod with semi-spherical ends. We've been making edible objects of plant origin in the shape of an elongated rod with semi-spherical ends for years. Once you try one of our edible objects of plant origin in the shape of an elongated rod with semi-spherical ends, ... See more
Kind of cuts out the snappy marketing, though. Choose the XYZ Edible Objects of Plant Origin in the Shape of an Elongated Rod with Semi-spherical Ends Company for your delicious edible objects of plant origin in the shape of an elongated rod with semi-spherical ends. We've been making edible objects of plant origin in the shape of an elongated rod with semi-spherical ends for years. Once you try one of our edible objects of plant origin in the shape of an elongated rod with semi-spherical ends, you'll never go anywhere else for edible objects of plant origin in the shape of an elongated rod with semi-spherical ends.Collapse

Andrey1
Andrey1  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:06
English to Russian
+ ...
The veggie burger that bleeds when you cut it Apr 24, 2018

"Evan McCormack, 19, is staring at a big juicy burger on his plate at a local cafe. It looks like meat. It smells like meat. It even bleeds like meat. But it's not." http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43802572

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A new linguistic challenge in France? No using meat words for vegeterian foods?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »