Spanish to Russian
+ ...
Oct 12, 2017

Hello everyone,

I need to proofread an Excel file with 3 columns:

A: Source text
B: Translation
C: (empty) Proofread translation

I'd like to use memoQ for this for a variety of reasons (concordance from my TMs, etc.)

(To make matters worse, I'm asked to only place the proofread translation to C only when if I change something. But that I can deal with with Excel's own tools.)

Is there a way to do this using the multili
... See more
Hello everyone,

I need to proofread an Excel file with 3 columns:

A: Source text
B: Translation
C: (empty) Proofread translation

I'd like to use memoQ for this for a variety of reasons (concordance from my TMs, etc.)

(To make matters worse, I'm asked to only place the proofread translation to C only when if I change something. But that I can deal with with Excel's own tools.)

Is there a way to do this using the multilingual file filter? Right now I can think of 2 options, neither of which works great:

1. Import B as context for A. The downside is that I will have to copy the context manually for each segment from the preview (unless there's a hotkey to copy the context).

2. Configure the filter so that B is the translation for A and import the existing text as edited. The downside is that I will then need to tinker with the target document quite a lot (copy the translated B to C, copy the originally translated B from the source file, etc.

Is there an elegant solution to this problem?

I'm still on 7.8 if that's relevant.

Thanks!

Grigori
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:31
Danish to English
+ ...
Copy B to C first Oct 13, 2017

I would start by copying B to C in Excel, then import C as the translation and ignore B.

If you decide not to change anything in a segment, just leave it blank in MemoQ and say no when it asks you, during export, if you want the source inserted.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading an Excel file in memoQ

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »