Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Studio 2014 doesn't open InDesign CC file (idml format)
Thread poster: Jutta Deichselberger
Jutta Deichselberger
Jutta Deichselberger  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:58
French to German
+ ...
Oct 4, 2013

Although InDesign CC figures in the list of supported file types (CS4 - CC IDML), I cannot open an InDesign file (created by the customer on InDesign CC and saved in IDML Format).

Each time when I try to open it, I get the following error message:
The selected file was not created in InDesign CS4 and cannot be processed.

(Something like this - the message appears in German).

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you very much in advance. This is r
... See more
Although InDesign CC figures in the list of supported file types (CS4 - CC IDML), I cannot open an InDesign file (created by the customer on InDesign CC and saved in IDML Format).

Each time when I try to open it, I get the following error message:
The selected file was not created in InDesign CS4 and cannot be processed.

(Something like this - the message appears in German).

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you very much in advance. This is really driving me crazy....

Jutta
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Can I see the file... Oct 4, 2013

Hi Jutta,

Studio 2014 should be able to handle these as we made a few changes to the filetype according to the spec. provided by Adobe. Certainly worked during our testing.

Perhaps you can share the file with me so we can test it and perhaps see how it can be handled?

Kind regards

Paul
[email protected]

FaberFischer
FaberFischer  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Was a solution found to idml-error in Studio 2014? Oct 17, 2013

Hi Jutta and Paul
I have the exact same problem. I'm opening an InDesign file in Creative Cloud, then exporting it in idml-format for translation in Studio 2014. I get this error message:

"Pre-scanning failed to identify the file type, the following messages were generated:
Pre-scanning error: The selected IDML file was created by an unsupported version of Adobe InDesign and will not be processed."

I get the same message if I create a new file in Adobe Indes
... See more
Hi Jutta and Paul
I have the exact same problem. I'm opening an InDesign file in Creative Cloud, then exporting it in idml-format for translation in Studio 2014. I get this error message:

"Pre-scanning failed to identify the file type, the following messages were generated:
Pre-scanning error: The selected IDML file was created by an unsupported version of Adobe InDesign and will not be processed."

I get the same message if I create a new file in Adobe Indesign CC and export it in idml.

It's driving me cracy too. I sincerely hope there is a fix to this issue, since I expected this to run smoothly when upgrading to 2014 ... and a deadline is coming up.

Am I overlooking something?

Kind regards
Charlotte
Collapse

Jutta Deichselberger
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Charlotte Oct 17, 2013

This ist the way you have to proceed:
http://kb.sdl.com/?portalid=23&articleid=4871#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4871

In order to open the idml file with Studio 2011 you have to change the product name to "8.0 (370)".
In order to open it with Studio 2011 you have to change it to "9.0(244)"

In my case it worked perfectly:-)
... See more
This ist the way you have to proceed:
http://kb.sdl.com/?portalid=23&articleid=4871#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4871

In order to open the idml file with Studio 2011 you have to change the product name to "8.0 (370)".
In order to open it with Studio 2011 you have to change it to "9.0(244)"

In my case it worked perfectly:-)

Best regards,

Jutta
Collapse

FaberFischer
FaberFischer  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Solution found for idml problem in Studio 2014 Oct 18, 2013

Hi Jutta
This worked perfectly. Thanks a million.
Charlotte

Jutta Deichselberger
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're welcome Oct 18, 2013

)

David Smith
David Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:58
Member (2008)
Chinese to English
Studio 2014 not opening my InDesign CC file (idml format) Jul 4, 2014

Hi,

I'm using Trados Studio 2014 and it just won't let me open my InDesign file. I've tried the two steps which seem to be geared at 2011 anyway, so for 2014, I have no idea. I'm getting the same error message "The source file was created in an unsupported version of InDesign" etc.

Have there been any developments in this?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Adobe CC 2014 ? Jul 4, 2014

Hi,

If this is Adobe CC 2014 then the reason is probably because it was released into production around the 18th June I believe and we have not released an update for this yet.

The current thinking is this will be available around the end of August – if we don’t find any critical issues.

So in the meantime you have the ability to take on board the risk (or benefit) of changing the version number in the file yourself via the advice in the KB article. I
... See more
Hi,

If this is Adobe CC 2014 then the reason is probably because it was released into production around the 18th June I believe and we have not released an update for this yet.

The current thinking is this will be available around the end of August – if we don’t find any critical issues.

So in the meantime you have the ability to take on board the risk (or benefit) of changing the version number in the file yourself via the advice in the KB article. I haven't tried this with an Adobe CC 2014 file yet, so if you're struggling feel free to send it to me and I'll be happy to take a look. But keep in mind that the version number alone may not be the only difference so even if Studio can open it there is no guarantee it will extract the information correctly until we provide a proper update.

Kind regards

Paul
[email protected]
Collapse

artbook
artbook  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Does Studio 2014 SP1 solve the issue with Adobe CC 2014 files? Sep 22, 2014

Hi,
I'm writing to know if the issue concerning CC 2014 files has been fixed in Studio 2014 SP1 (released in September).
Thanks,
Claudia

Michael Broström
Michael Broström
English to Swedish
+ ...
Fixed? Feb 16, 2015

Hi

Has this issue been resolved? Not upgrading to 2014 if this is still an issue (receiving +20 IDML files monthly and the resaving in InDesign 6 is soon not possible (client is leaving 6 completely).

BlueRunner
BlueRunner
Italy
new CS6 update Feb 19, 2015

with the last Indesign CS6 update, the idml version is now 8.1(420) and Studio cannot open it anymore!(

Andrei Sidorov
Andrei Sidorov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
File type error Mar 12, 2015

Dear Colleagues,
Please, advice on appropriate version of InDesign to be inserted in txt-file as I've tried both 8.x and 9.x. ones.
Original file version 10.1 doesn't fit as well. Thanks in advance.

[Редактировалось 2015-03-12 19:05 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
use the checkbox for unsupported versions... Mar 12, 2015

BlueRunner wrote:

with the last Indesign CS6 update, the idml version is now 8.1(420) and Studio cannot open it anymore!(

... which you can find here:

Whenever Adobe make changes they might do something to affect the correct extraction of translatable text, or worse, so using this option will allow you to process the file (unless the change is a really big one!) and we will update any necessary changes in a future update.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
What do you mean here? Mar 12, 2015

Andrei Sidorov wrote:

Please, advice on appropriate version of InDesign to be inserted in txt-file as I've tried both 8.x and 9.x. ones. Original file version 10.1 doesn't fit as well.

Hello Andrei,

What are you trying to accomplish? I don't really understand what you mean by inserting an InDesign file into a text file.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Mariusz Bonecki
Mariusz Bonecki
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
It still does not work Mar 19, 2015

Does anyone have a clue how to resolve the problem?
I cannot process the documents in IDML and I just have to copy the contents to a WORD document and than copy it back
It's so embarassing...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014 doesn't open InDesign CC file (idml format)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »