Thread poster: Team Maja
Team Maja
Team Maja
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 15:28
Bosnian to English
+ ...
Oct 2, 2017

I'm using SDL Trados Studio 2017 for the first time and I've watched tutorials on default settings such as Language pairs etc. I've read some of the manuals as well. Still, I've been having some problems setting these. Short instructions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Leighton Jacobs
Leighton Jacobs  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:28
Member (2019)
German to English
+ ...
Default language pair (file->options->language pairs->add) Oct 3, 2017

Hi Team Maya,

Generally, in the past, I set the language pair every time I start a new project. I never worried too much about a default pair because it can be annoying to change it.

But you can set a language pair to act as the default one when you start a new project by going to file -> options -> click on language pairs -> then you should see an 'add' button over to the left.

You can however, just set the language pair each time you start a new
... See more
Hi Team Maya,

Generally, in the past, I set the language pair every time I start a new project. I never worried too much about a default pair because it can be annoying to change it.

But you can set a language pair to act as the default one when you start a new project by going to file -> options -> click on language pairs -> then you should see an 'add' button over to the left.

You can however, just set the language pair each time you start a new project (file->new->new project) the first screen should ask you to choose a template, the second should ask you to title the project, add a description and set where the project is saved and the 3rd screen should allow you to set the language pair. Simply select your source language from the menu. Choose a target language from the scroll down window and click add. It should then be placed into the menu on the right.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Leighton
Collapse

Mats Linder
Mats Linder  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
First time user help Oct 5, 2017

The first time user may find my Trados Studio manual 2017 helpful (lots of people do). It contains 546 pdf pages in A4 format; it is not free, but a purchase entitles you also to all future revisions (very roughly twice a year; just published is edition 2) as well as a 50% discount on future versions (i.e. 2019 or whatever). To be found at tradosstudiomanual.com.

Good luck!
Mats

[Edited at 2017-10-05 16:21 GMT]

Team Maja
Team Maja
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bosnian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
First time user reply Oct 9, 2017

Thanks for both the replies, I think I've managed
I'll certainly have a look at the manual and see what it offers.

I appreciate your taking time to reply.

My best,
Maja

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

First time SDL Trados user

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »