Best trad software for excel, text with html tags in? Help!!
Thread poster: Ben Curtis
Ben Curtis
Ben Curtis
Spanish to English
Jun 17, 2005

Hi,

I have a very large excel document, around 15,000 words of technical translation. I need to copy each cell of text (an example below), into the adjacent empty cell and then translate it. I think a cat tool may be able to help me out but have no idea where to start looking... I have used wordfast with word a lot, but of course that won't work in excel. Any ideas (especially about free software) would be greatfully apreciated. Thanks.
This is the sort of thing I'm dealing wi
... See more
Hi,

I have a very large excel document, around 15,000 words of technical translation. I need to copy each cell of text (an example below), into the adjacent empty cell and then translate it. I think a cat tool may be able to help me out but have no idea where to start looking... I have used wordfast with word a lot, but of course that won't work in excel. Any ideas (especially about free software) would be greatfully apreciated. Thanks.
This is the sort of thing I'm dealing with:

Información hardware del sistema, organizada en las siguientes secciones:

• Información General: Datos del Sistema Operativo instalado, nombre e IP del servidor y procesador (CPU) actual.
  • Tiempo en marcha del sistema: Tiempo en activo del sistema. El tiempo vuelve a comenzar cuando sucede un reinicio del sistema.
  • Carga del sistema: Valor de carga del sistema actual (últimos 5 minutos y últimos 15 minutos). ▲ Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:14
English to German
+ ...
Wordfast does work on Excel Jun 17, 2005

You can work with WF on Excel files.

However, WF will simply overwrite the source text. I therefore suggest you work on a copy of your file, translate it with WF (see the WF manual on how to do that) and then copy the column with your translation into the right position of the original file.

HTH.

Sonja

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Works fine with DVX, but ... Jun 17, 2005

... you need to fiddle with the Excel file first.
My suggestion:
1. Mark the column that contains your text and "Copy"
2. Mark the next free column and "Paste"
(You should now have 2 identical text columns).
3. Change the text colour in the first column to red.
4. Import the file into DVX with "Ignore red text".

WARNINGS:
1. DVX is a powerful piece of software (and a good solution for HTML, too), but it takes some time to get used to. It's n
... See more
... you need to fiddle with the Excel file first.
My suggestion:
1. Mark the column that contains your text and "Copy"
2. Mark the next free column and "Paste"
(You should now have 2 identical text columns).
3. Change the text colour in the first column to red.
4. Import the file into DVX with "Ignore red text".

WARNINGS:
1. DVX is a powerful piece of software (and a good solution for HTML, too), but it takes some time to get used to. It's not worth getting just for a single job (and it's not free, either).
2. Excel files are often a beast to translate. If the formatting is complex, you may need to spend ages preparing the file before you import it.
3. Sometimes the sentences in Excel text files are split in the middle (a line per cell, so any continuous sentences that go over several lines are hopelessly chopped to bits). I doubt if any CAT tool can handle sentences like that (so again, you would need to spend time formatting the beast before you can start work).
Collapse

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
SDLX for Excel file Jun 18, 2005

I had a (relatively simple) Excel file to translate last week. What I did was similar to the options given above, but in SDLX. I imported the Excel file as a project in SDLX, translated it, selected preview (then you get the translation back in Excel)and then copy-pasted the translated column in the original file. Make sure to make a copy of the original file just in case some unwanted overwriting happens - I don't remember if SDLX automatically saves the translation somewhere else.
SDLX o
... See more
I had a (relatively simple) Excel file to translate last week. What I did was similar to the options given above, but in SDLX. I imported the Excel file as a project in SDLX, translated it, selected preview (then you get the translation back in Excel)and then copy-pasted the translated column in the original file. Make sure to make a copy of the original file just in case some unwanted overwriting happens - I don't remember if SDLX automatically saves the translation somewhere else.
SDLX offers a FREE evaluation version (30 days) and it's easy to use. (even I can work with it...)
http://www.sdl.com/es/products-translation/products/sdlx/products-downloads-sdlx/downloads-sdlx-evaluation.htm

I don't know if there's anything else you have to do about the tags in the text - SDLX tends to handle them OK in other formats (it'll translate an XML file without needing a description of the tags for instance).
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Best trad software for excel, text with html tags in? Help!! Jun 18, 2005

Have you tried OmegaT?

You would first need to convert to OOo format, which is straightforward.

After translation, you should be able to mark whole columns and copy & paste them back into the original document (or a copy of it).

HTH,
Marc

Ben Curtis
Ben Curtis
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jun 19, 2005

Thanks very much for all the replies so far, I will try the Wp and the SDLX solutions for now... any more ideas always welcome!
Ben

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best trad software for excel, text with html tags in? Help!!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »