Philippe Noth
Philippe Noth  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 21:00
Member (2015)
German to French
+ ...
Mar 10, 2023

I have been working occasionally in Smartling. It looks like a good web-based tool, but there is something that baffles me since the beginning: this concept of segments and subsegments. I just do not get it, am I missing something?

So here I am, reviewing a translation, confirming segments like in any other CAT tool… and suddenly comes a multi-segment. And with the same key combination, I am suddenly confirming not one sentence, the one I read, but a bunch of sentences, which I di
... See more
I have been working occasionally in Smartling. It looks like a good web-based tool, but there is something that baffles me since the beginning: this concept of segments and subsegments. I just do not get it, am I missing something?

So here I am, reviewing a translation, confirming segments like in any other CAT tool… and suddenly comes a multi-segment. And with the same key combination, I am suddenly confirming not one sentence, the one I read, but a bunch of sentences, which I did not read. It is very disruptive, I now need to scroll back to read the parts I missed.

My only answer to this issue is to keep looking ahead to see whether I jumped into a single segment or a multiple one. Do I really have to do that?

2023-03-10_14-11-14
[Illustration taken from Sandberg's knowledge base about Smartling]

Thanks in advance for your enlightenment.

Philippe
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:00
English to Russian
Paragraph-based segmentation Mar 10, 2023

This resembles a paragraph-based segmentation in Trados or memoQ.

Philippe Noth wrote:
My only answer to this issue is to keep looking ahead to see whether I jumped into a single segment or a multiple one. Do I really have to do that?
You have to keep an eye on the green marker on the left. When you see it, you are in a paragraph consisting of multiple segments. Review/edit all the paragraph segments covered by that green marker and only then confirm them.

[Edited at 2023-03-10 14:30 GMT]

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:00
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
  Mar 10, 2023

Philippe Noth wrote:

I believe so. It's one of my biggest bugbears with Smartling – maybe the only one.

I have been using Smartling for years and really like it, but I haven't yet found a way around the problem you describe.

Philippe Noth

Philippe Noth
Philippe Noth  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 21:00
Member (2015)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, at least I know… Mar 10, 2023

Thomas Pfann wrote:

Philippe Noth wrote:

I believe so. It's one of my biggest bugbears with Smartling – maybe the only one.

I have been using Smartling for years and really like it, but I haven't yet found a way around the problem you describe.

Thanks, at least I know that I am not the only one to be bothered by that. I have been reading every information available about Smartling, hoping to find what I did wrong – a command to confirm/step into subsegments, a better workflow. But nope! All help about Smartling described this "feature" as it were perfectly normal and desirable, so I felt stupid not being able to work with it.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:00
English to Russian
Export as xliff Mar 10, 2023

Thomas Pfann wrote:
I haven't yet found a way around the problem you describe.
I downloaded the content (Job - Export Content) as xliff files along with TM and glossaries, translated them with Trados or memoQ, and then imported back into Smartling (Import Content).

[Edited at 2023-03-10 20:22 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Smartling confusion

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »