Which machine translation tool with computer assisted translation tool for freelancers
Thread poster: michellemarie
michellemarie
michellemarie
Local time: 15:50
English to French
+ ...
Sep 14, 2023

Hello community,
I would like to know which machine translation solution seems to be the best for freelancers?
I will probably use Deja Vu as my Cat tool. It can be combined with Systran Translate, Deepl or other. I would like to hear from you.
Thank you

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:50
English to Russian
Qtranslate Sep 14, 2023

I can't say whether it is the best or not but you can try Qtranslate. Unfortunately, its original developer has passed away and now this program is only supported by volunteers. You can find it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Agr9mSC0PL0gqY7q6p8dFxZPhqVBwgvM/view?usp=sharing
This program can use a number of MT engines including GT, DeepL, Yan
... See more
I can't say whether it is the best or not but you can try Qtranslate. Unfortunately, its original developer has passed away and now this program is only supported by volunteers. You can find it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Agr9mSC0PL0gqY7q6p8dFxZPhqVBwgvM/view?usp=sharing
This program can use a number of MT engines including GT, DeepL, Yandex, ChatGPT, Bing, Reverso...
All you need to do is assign a shortcut "Replace selection with translation" and select your MT engine. That's it. Then, in any text editor, you can just select a sentence or even a paragraph and press the assigned shortcut keys—your source text would be replaced with translation.

[Edited at 2023-09-14 19:37 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis

Emal Ghamsharick
Emal Ghamsharick  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Smartling Sep 15, 2023

Try Smartling or Phrase/Memsource. Reasonable pricing. Memsource is more powerful and supports various engines.

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 14:50
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
If you are starting out, Sep 15, 2023

I can recommend Wordfast Anywhere:

https://www.wordfast.com/anywhere

michellemarie
michellemarie
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Choice of machine translation engine with a CAT tool Sep 15, 2023

Thank you to all of you.
I wonder why no one is mentioning Systran Translate? You did not test it, or you did and did not like it?

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 14:50
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Systran Translate Sep 15, 2023

michellemarie wrote:

Thank you to all of you.
I wonder why no one is mentioning Systran Translate? You did not test it, or you did and did not like it?

I'm sorry, I misread your question.
I use Trados Studio MT integrated in a few projects, but I think DeepL is a little bit better.
As for Systran Translate, yes, I agree it is a reasonable MT engine. At least I have used with my working languages with more "basic" texts and I can't complain.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:50
English to Russian
Free VS Fee Sep 15, 2023

michellemarie wrote:
I wonder why no one is mentioning Systran Translate?
As for me, I don't consider using it because you have to pay for it. QTranslate is for free.

expressisverbis

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 09:50
English to Finnish
+ ...
I use DejaVu with Google MT Sep 15, 2023

I used DeepL but I switched. My impression is that after a slow start in MT, Google will dominate and leave DeepL in the dust.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Michelle Sep 15, 2023

michellemarie wrote:
I would like to know which machine translation solution seems to be the best for freelancers? I will probably use Deja Vu as my CAT tool. It can be combined with Systran Translate, DeepL or other.

According to Chat GPT, both Systran Translate and DeepL have the same benefits. The only way to evaluate which one is better is to try them both out.
https://www.systran.net/en/translate/
https://www.deepl.com/translator
I have no idea if the web versions of these two tools are a reflection of the API versions.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
CafeTran Sep 17, 2023

michellemarie wrote:

I would like to know which machine translation solution seems to be the best for freelancers?

CafeTran’s tagging system resembles that of dvu.

CafeTran supports many MT systems and one AI system.

You can arrange the suggestions in any layout you want. You can see all suggestions completely: no tedious scrolling needed, no tiny fonts.

Suggestions can be used entirely or, more important, partially. So you can type your translation and use a few words from MT that you like: very handy.

CafeTran’s development is extremely responsive to requests from freelancers.

Yaotl Altan

Xanthippe
Xanthippe
France
Member (2008)
Italian to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
ModernMT with Trados Studio Sep 18, 2023

Hello,
I use ModernMT with Trados Studio 2022.

Why ModernMT? Because it learns from the context and from your editings.

expressisverbis

michellemarie
michellemarie
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MT engine in CAT Tool with API Sep 19, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

michellemarie wrote:
Thank you Samuel. I read some of your posts on data confidentiality with MT engines. I have read extensively and it seems that using the MT engines through an API "guarantees" confidentiality since no data is kept by them (Google, MS, DeepL) so I will probably anyway choose one of those available with Déjà Vu eventually. Thanks for the input!

According to Chat GPT, both Systran Translate and DeepL have the same benefits. The only way to evaluate which one is better is to try them both out.
https://www.systran.net/en/translate/
https://www.deepl.com/translator
I have no idea if the web versions of these two tools are a reflection of the API versions.

[Edited at 2023-09-19 09:25 GMT]

michellemarie
michellemarie
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Which MT tool with Déjà Vu Sep 19, 2023

Thank you to all of you for replying to my questions. I see that in fact most of us are using very different MT engines in the end I will try to find the best one for my purpose. Thank you again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which machine translation tool with computer assisted translation tool for freelancers

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »