Okapi Framework Error: "this application requires a java runtime environment 11" (which I do have)
Thread poster: Esteban Ectaymech
Esteban Ectaymech
Esteban Ectaymech
Argentina
Local time: 10:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 28, 2023

Can't run Okapi framework tools (okapi-apps_win32-x86_64_1.45.0)
, like Rainbow, on Windows 10.
By the way, I have OmegaT 6.0.0 installed with its own 64-bit JRE (Java Runtime Environment),
but shouldn't affect the execution of Okapi.

When executing Rainbow.exe (or any other) gives me the error:
"this application requires a java runtime environment 11".
(which I have).

I've tried many things:
- Created environment variable JAVA_HOME... See more
Can't run Okapi framework tools (okapi-apps_win32-x86_64_1.45.0)
, like Rainbow, on Windows 10.
By the way, I have OmegaT 6.0.0 installed with its own 64-bit JRE (Java Runtime Environment),
but shouldn't affect the execution of Okapi.

When executing Rainbow.exe (or any other) gives me the error:
(which I have).

I've tried many things:
- Created environment variable JAVA_HOME
- Deleted other Java versions except for Java 11
- Tried with Java 8, Java 11 and Open JDK 11.0.2
Only thing i achieved was to get 2 new errors

Second error:
"could not open: ...\lib\jvm.cfg"

Third error:
Error: Could not find or load main class C:\...rainbow.exe
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: C:\...rainbow.exe

I'm running out of ideas. Don't know what else to do to make it work
besides formatting my pc.
Collapse

Magnus Eriksson
Magnus Eriksson  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:41
Portuguese to Swedish
+ ...
Finally working Dec 28, 2023

Hi Esteban,
I had the exact same problem today. My old Okapi installation worked, but Rainbow in okapi-apps_win32-x86_64_1.45.0 kept asking for Java Runtime Environment 11. Downloading the Java version from the link that opens when you click the error message (Version 8 Update 391) and adding that to the environment variables JAVA_HOME, JRE_HOME and system Path or creating symlinks in C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath didn't help.

What finally worked was this:
Opening
... See more
Hi Esteban,
I had the exact same problem today. My old Okapi installation worked, but Rainbow in okapi-apps_win32-x86_64_1.45.0 kept asking for Java Runtime Environment 11. Downloading the Java version from the link that opens when you click the error message (Version 8 Update 391) and adding that to the environment variables JAVA_HOME, JRE_HOME and system Path or creating symlinks in C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath didn't help.

What finally worked was this:
Opening the Java Runtime Environment Settings (on my PC: Start Menu > Programs > Java > Configure Java). Apparently I had two versions of JRE 1.8, one JRE 11 and one JRE 17. The JRE 11 installation pointed to javaw.exe for a specific application. I put the link to the bin folder containing that javaw.exe (C:\Program Files\specific application\jre\bin) in the system Path environment variable. Then Rainbow started without complaints.

I guess you know how to edit the system Path variable, otherwise this is what you do:
Click System Properties > Advanced > Environment Variables... and double-click on Path under System variables. There you click New and insert the path to your bin folder containing the JRE 11 javaw.exe. I also clicked Move Up until the path was at the top of the list. Hope it works out!
Collapse

Esteban Ectaymech
Esteban Ectaymech
Argentina
Local time: 10:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
better, but still not working Dec 29, 2023

by creating a path, I no longer have the error

But now have a new error:
"Java Virtual Machine: A java exception has ocurred".

I guess is a progress since now at least is detecting the JRE

Magnus Eriksson
Magnus Eriksson  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:41
Portuguese to Swedish
+ ...
Try changing JAVA_HOME Dec 29, 2023

I ran into the same error message ("Java Virtual Machine Launcher: A Java Exception has ocurred") at one point when I was fiddling with the environment variables yesterday. It appeared when I changed JAVA_HOME from "C:\Program Files\Java\1.8.0_391" (which is not a physical path on my PC) to "C:\Program Files\Java\jre-1.8". Switching it back to "C:\Program Files\Java\1.8.0_391" or changing it to "C:\Program Files\Java\jre-1.8\bin" made the error message go away. I guess there is some kind of conf... See more
I ran into the same error message ("Java Virtual Machine Launcher: A Java Exception has ocurred") at one point when I was fiddling with the environment variables yesterday. It appeared when I changed JAVA_HOME from "C:\Program Files\Java\1.8.0_391" (which is not a physical path on my PC) to "C:\Program Files\Java\jre-1.8". Switching it back to "C:\Program Files\Java\1.8.0_391" or changing it to "C:\Program Files\Java\jre-1.8\bin" made the error message go away. I guess there is some kind of conflict between different environment variables and different JRE versions so I recommend changing or clearing the JAVA_HOME (or JRE_HOME if it is defined) value to see if it helps.Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 16:41
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Install the development kit Feb 5

I experienced the same problem. No matter what I tried, the Okapi apps would complain about Java. The only thing that worked was to install the JDK (Java Development Kit) instead of the JRE (Java Runtime Environment), from here: https://download.oracle.com/java/21/latest/jdk-21_windows-x64_bin.exe

The reason why this happened? No idea. Java will always be
... See more
I experienced the same problem. No matter what I tried, the Okapi apps would complain about Java. The only thing that worked was to install the JDK (Java Development Kit) instead of the JRE (Java Runtime Environment), from here: https://download.oracle.com/java/21/latest/jdk-21_windows-x64_bin.exe

The reason why this happened? No idea. Java will always be Java.
Collapse

Christof Schneider

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Java Feb 6

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

The reason why this happened? No idea. Java will always be Java.

That's why CAT tools like CafeTran Espresso, Swordfish and Wordfast Pro now come with an embedded Java runtime. No more hassle.

Epameinondas Soufleros

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Okapi Framework Error: "this application requires a java runtime environment 11" (which I do have)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »