ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:57
English to Chinese
+ ...
泄密 Jun 10, 2010

nigerose wrote:

害得人家这份试题不能再用了。

据我所知,这家翻译社在试译前是要求试译者签保密协议的。尽管该专利已经公开,但作为试卷而言是需要保密的。未被录用就给人泄密,这种做法很不道德。要是人在美国,很可能因此而吃上官司。美国公司一般都不敢用这样的人。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
a small world indeed Jun 10, 2010

wherestip wrote:

ysun wrote:

如果谁能查到别人已经译成英文而且已经发表的同一篇专利,当然不用翻词典就能交出这篇试译稿了!不过,过了初一,却过不了十五。如果没有真本事而靠歪门邪道蒙混过关,等到客户让你翻译类似专利时,照样也难以过关!

Yueyin,

Yes, indeed. Patents, once filed, are out in the public domain. Anyone can Google for a certain patent.

That a section of a patent you translated in the past would show up as a sample test is just incredible. IMO, it defeats the whole purpose of the selection process.

And what a small world it is, indeed.

[Edited at 2010-06-10 18:20 GMT]

Steve,

弯曲模量、翘曲度、黄变指数等术语,并非是什么日常生活用语。聚对苯二甲酸丙二醇酯、聚对苯二甲酸乙二醇酯之类的化学名称,都有好几种英文表达方式(synonyms)。对于一个没有化工专业背景的人来说,如果不用查词典或参考书就能把这些专业术语译得与已发表的英文专利一字不差,那就神了!话说回来,如果整篇试卷都能译得与已发表的英文专利一字不差,那就肯定能通过考试!

Alan Wang
Alan Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 23:57
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
cheer up Jun 10, 2010

Hamish Young wrote:

我在翻译的过程中查Google时竟然发现这个试译已经贴在这儿,而且是好几个月以前的事情,这个公司到现在还没有换试译了。

依我看,Alan的错误可能不光是在语法方面, 术语好像也弄迷糊了,比如 “聚对苯二甲酸丙二醇酯” 不是什么trimethyl东西,而应该是 polypropylene terepthalate (后边是不是加一个glycol是个难题,我没有加)
这个东西是由terephthalic acid (对苯二甲酸) 和 propylene glycol (丙二醇酯) 组成的。
‘vapor’ 这个词未必指 water vapor.

”本实施例说明“ 我觉得是 'This example illustrates', 如ysun所说,example和embodiment的用法很微妙。

还不知道通不通过这此试译。。。

I hope you get through.
If you do, please come here and say you did it. We can all have a cheer up.

By the way, did you sign a NDA before the test?

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
from the bottom of my heart Jun 10, 2010

Alan Wang wrote:

Hamish Young wrote:

还不知道通不通过这此试译。。。

I hope you get through.

I hope so too!

[Edited at 2010-06-11 07:28 GMT]

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
A brief response Jun 11, 2010

Alan Wang wrote:

wherestip:

I know you sometimes cannot resist the temptation to lash out at people, people you for whatever reason dislike, barely know (for example, how much do you know the site owner?) or have had a history with, who have no proper defense for themselves due to various reasons such as they are not present.
Fortunately, I am here. And I don’t like to be painted as you would like to paint me into without an objection. I am sure you can understand that.

Tried as I have to play the game with a light heart, such as when you talking about my activity at that site you say "it figures" (contemptuously, you forget being civil), I pretended to believe you are preoccupied with my name only (figure large) and not preoccupied with painting me into an ugly corner at the slightest chance.

Well, that goes. You will understand what I mean. If not, read the following.

I think there is an (inordinate) obsession with someone in connection with someone who has been banned.

So it goes: "Figure large is not as good as that obsession" or perhaps the poorer version: Figure large could mean obsession in a lesser degree, while an obsession could be more inordinate.

Alan,

To tell you the truth, I find the term "lash out at people" very offensive.

Other than that, I think we have a big communication problem. A lot of the things you say are not understandable to the average English-speaking person. And the problem, in my estimation, might be mutual, meaning many of the things I say you don't necessarily understand.

But I think if you had the right attitude, most misunderstandings could easily be resolved. And I will try my best in the future to do my part.

[Edited at 2010-06-11 17:04 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Big communication problem Jun 12, 2010

wherestip wrote:

Alan,

Other than that, I think we have a big communication problem. A lot of the things you say are not understandable to the average English-speaking person.

以前有别的翻译同事在下面那个讨论里已经很含蓄地要求他不要再用英语发帖,以免别人看不懂。

"Out of the blue (Winner of Chinese to English translation contest)"
http://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/123965-out_of_the_blue_winner_of_chinese_to_english_translation_contest.html
wherestip wrote:

And the problem, in my estimation, might be mutual, meaning many of the things I say you don't necessarily understand.

But I think if you had the right attitude, most misunderstandings could easily be resolved. And I will try my best in the future to do my part.

在《谁来谈谈北京翻译职业大会的情况吧》那里,他连你的中文帖子都没看懂,更何况你的 English idiom 呢?

此论坛上许多类似的争论就是这样开始的。

Alan Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What's going on Jun 12, 2010

You can have the last words on what happened anywhere, and you may underestimate me. But, frankly, perhaps you might want to consider not to underestimate me the way you would have wanted to.

wherestip wrote:

Alan,

Other than that, I think we have a big communication problem. A lot of the things you say are not understandable to the average English-speaking person. And the problem, in my estimation, might be mutual, meaning many of the things I say you don't necessarily understand.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
那好 Jun 12, 2010

Alan Wang wrote:

You can have the last words on what happened anywhere, and you may underestimate me. But, frankly, perhaps you might want to consider not to underestimate me the way you would have wanted to.

Alan,

I wouldn't lie to you on a matter like this. I've told you in no uncertain terms my opinion of your language ability, because you keep asking others to comment on it. So please take it or leave it. It doesn't do me any harm.

Good luck.

Alan Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ego again Jun 12, 2010

Wherestip

How about we talk a little again about the “ego” thing?

I have just browsed through the “out of the blue ” post brought to my attention again by Ysun.

I noticed that after you admitted failing to understand the original Chinese text, therefore failing to detect an error in the translation, you refocused your volley of attack on the original text as poorly written and so on in order to assuage the severity of your own mistake.

... See more
Wherestip

I have just browsed through the “out of the blue ” post brought to my attention again by Ysun.

I noticed that after you admitted failing to understand the original Chinese text, therefore failing to detect an error in the translation, you refocused your volley of attack on the original text as poorly written and so on in order to assuage the severity of your own mistake.

Does that tell something about your ego or it's really always somebody’else’s error that made you slip?

Just a thought!
Collapse

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Sorry Jun 12, 2010

Alan Wang wrote:

Just a thought!

Well, keep thinking, because I don't have time to play these silly games with you.

And next time try to find someone with more logical sense, and preferably a higher moral standard to do your bidding as a "ghostwriter". I doubt it's doable, for obvious reasons.

Have a good day, the both of you.

[Edited at 2010-06-12 14:41 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
找点活干吧 Jun 12, 2010

Alan Wang wrote:

Wherestip

Dumont,

如果你实在没事干的话,不妨与拒你的这家客户再联系一下。他们的项目真的很多。前不久,他们一下子就要我翻译五篇中文专利,但我实在太忙,只接受了一篇。你问问他们,其余的能否让你翻?我可以给他们写信替你美言。

即使按你报给他们的那个价,最短的专利每篇也可挣个五、六百美元。像你这样的高水平,三天翻译一篇是轻轻松松的。不知对你而言,到底是 "ego” 重要,还是 money 重要?

Alan Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 12, 2010

Ysun
Actually I have a job at hand today.

But thanks for the consideration.

If they want to contact me, fine. Since they rejected me, the ball is at their side.

ysun wrote:

Alan Wang wrote:

Wherestip

Dumont,

如果你实在没事干的话,不妨与拒你的这家客户再联系一下。他们的项目真的很多。前不久,他们一下子就要我翻译五篇中文专利,但我实在太忙,只接受了一篇。你问问他们,其余的能否让你翻?我可以给他们写信替你美言。

即使按你报给他们的那个价,最短的专利每篇也可挣个五、六百美元。像你这样的高水平,三天翻译一篇是轻轻松松的。不知对你而言,到底是 "ego” 重要,还是 money 重要?

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
那就算了 Jun 12, 2010

Alan Wang wrote:

If they want to contact me, fine. Since they rejected me, the ball is at their side.

我想他们不会自作多情地来碰你这个钉子的,因为一开始你就对他们说过,如果他们再来与你联系,你会让他们“在后排等着”。

Alan Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
pragmatism Jun 13, 2010

ysun

I will certainly forget what I have said about asking them to queue.

You see I am pretty much a man of pragmatism, especially when there isn't a queue right now (but that doesn't mean there couldn't be a queue tomorrow).

ysun wrote:

Alan Wang wrote:

我想他们不会自作多情地来碰你这个钉子的,因为一开始你就对他们说过,如果他们再来与你联系,你会让他们“在后排等着”。

[修改时间: 2010-06-13 02:21 GMT]

Alan Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
a little bit Jun 13, 2010

wherestip

It's a little bit pathetic to suggest a "ghostwriter".
A little bit beneath you, or not?

wherestip wrote:

Alan Wang wrote:

Just a thought!

Well, keep thinking, because I don't have time to play these silly games with you.

And next time try to find someone with more logical sense, and preferably a higher moral standard to do your bidding as a "ghostwriter". I doubt it's doable, for obvious reasons.

Have a good day, the both of you.

[Edited at 2010-06-12 14:41 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

被拒的试译稿

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »