ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:40
English to Chinese
+ ...
“不掌握CAT工具,确实太可惜” Sep 4, 2013

Renquan Yang wrote:

“内容类似、重复性强的项目”,则就是业内所称的“系列案”。此时借助CAT工具时,处理速度会更快,8小时12k到13k英文是完全可以达到的。我就曾经遇到过这种案子,有一天的速度达到这个水平 。不过这类系列案往往不会外包,要么翻译公司内部自己留着消化了,要不机构自行按照以前校对过的案子处理了。总之,系列案外包的情况不多。因此,我这里所提及的速度一般是指非系列案。这时,如果案子内部存在相似或相同的句段的比例达到20%(软件可自行分析),则利用工具的情况下,上述翻译速度是可以实现的,并且译文质量可以接受,尽管有点瑕疵,但瑕不掩瑜:)。
目前正在研究如果这种相似程度都不到的情况下,如何借助CAT工具达到类似的高速度。我已经遇见一款工具,阅读其介绍并与其开发团队交流后,感觉这个工具似乎能够达到我想要的那种效果,不过究竟如何,还需要实践验证。
不可否认,计算机的记忆和检索能力是强大的,因此即便译者“无法都背(诵)出来,但 CAT 工具都给你记着”,会在你需要的时候蹦出来。有时候,看着计算机提示出来的自己过去翻译过的译文,感叹如果人工去检索和记忆,无论如何都无法做到这么快捷和迅速。但是,对于计算机给出的参考译文,时刻要保持挑剔的态度,毕竟,以往的译文也可能存在当时未曾发现的问题。然而,从头翻译和在既有基础上翻译的效率不可同日而语。
总之,对于处理技术文件的译员来说,不掌握CAT工具,确实太可惜。

[Edited at 2013-09-04 00:39 GMT]

我们这里的翻译公司也许与中国的翻译公司不大一样。这里翻译公司自己留着消化的项目不多。有些翻译公司即使有 in-house 的中英文翻译,一般也只翻译 general 的东西,翻译不了专利之类技术性较强的东西,所以主要靠外包。我收到“内容类似、重复性强的项目”是常有的事。很多同一技术领域的专利都来自于同一翻译公司,甚至同一最终客户。100% match 的内容达到 20% 以上是常有的事,有一次甚至达到 40% 以上。因为天下文章一大抄!

我十分同意你的这一意见:“但是,对于计算机给出的参考译文,时刻要保持挑剔的态度,毕竟,以往的译文也可能存在当时未曾发现的问题”。我记得你以前说过,当心不要被 Trados 带到沟里去,依我理解就是这个意思。确实,对于“蹦出来”的以往的译文确实还得仔细看一下。一方面可能会有些小错误,另一方面,我们现在的翻译水平比五年前、十年前的水平肯定会高不少。

Renquan Yang
Renquan Yang  Identity Verified
China
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
莫非大家都混业经营? Sep 4, 2013

nigerose wrote:

J.H. Wang wrote:

Renquan Yang wrote:

“内容类似、重复性强的项目”,则就是业内所称的“系列案”。此时借助CAT工具时,处理速度会更快,8小时12k到13k英文是完全可以达到的。

如果对内容非常熟悉,达到 “所见即所得” 的程度,那么翻译的速度基本上就取决于打字的速度。在这种情况下,可以达到很高的速度。

哈哈,这是我提出过的理论。
当然,这是理想状况。比如让你翻译小学课本中的英文文章。

[修改时间: 2013-09-04 03:32 GMT]

莫非大家都混业经营?跨行业翻译?反正我做不到,至今只囿于生物化学医药专利领域,其他领域很少涉足。不过这个领域的特点就是庞杂,所谓对内容非常熟悉,其实也难;基本术语熟悉倒是可以做到,稍微新一点的术语往往要网络检索后才能确定词义。除非是做系列案,否则难以遇到重复率高的案子,然而在国内捞着做系列案的机会太少了,看到老sun的描述,那个羡慕啊,嘿嘿。至于“所见即所得”的情况,也少,往往得看完权利要求书部分后才大概明白这专利要说啥,然后处理其他部分时心里惦记着这个主题,随后会看得快一点而已。

[Edited at 2013-09-04 09:40 GMT]

nigerose
nigerose  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 19:40
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
深奥 Sep 4, 2013

Renquan Yang wrote:

nigerose wrote:

J.H. Wang wrote:

Renquan Yang wrote:

哈哈,这是我提出过的理论。

莫非大家都混业经营?跨行业翻译?反正我做不到,至今只囿于生物化学医药专利领域,其他领域很少涉足。不过这个领域的特点就是庞杂,所谓对内容非常熟悉,其实也难,术语熟悉倒是可以做到。除非是做系列案,然而在国内捞着做系列案的机会太少了。至于“所见即所得”的情况,也少,往往得看完权利要求书部分后才大概明白这专利要说啥,然后处理其他部分时心里惦记着这个主题,随后会看得快一点而已。

其实大生化领域已经非常庞杂,一些生物前沿领域内容深奥难懂,或者就算不难懂,但句子写得复杂,表达精细,或者要查的术语很多,总之翻译起来快不了。纯化学的案子还相对简单。反正我是远远达不到你的飞快速度的,敬佩ing。

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
我做的专业比较杂 Sep 4, 2013

Renquan Yang wrote:

nigerose wrote:

J.H. Wang wrote:

Renquan Yang wrote:

哈哈,这是我提出过的理论。

莫非大家都混业经营?跨行业翻译?反正我做不到,至今只囿于生物化学医药专利领域,其他领域很少涉足。不过这个领域的特点就是庞杂,所谓对内容非常熟悉,其实也难;基本术语熟悉倒是可以做到,稍微新一点的术语往往要网络检索后才能确定词义。除非是做系列案,否则难以遇到重复率高的案子,然而在国内捞着做系列案的机会太少了,看到老sun的描述,那个羡慕啊,嘿嘿。至于“所见即所得”的情况,也少,往往得看完权利要求书部分后才大概明白这专利要说啥,然后处理其他部分时心里惦记着这个主题,随后会看得快一点而已。

[Edited at 2013-09-04 09:08 GMT]

主要是出于兴趣,另外也可以扩展知识面,锻炼多领域的翻译能力。呵呵。

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Very interesting! Sep 4, 2013

wherestip wrote:

Unless I'm dyslexic, which I'm not, I' count 23 down and 23 across. But it clearly says 23 x 22 at the bottom of the page.

我也数了下,果然如你所说的,名实不符。呵呵。

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Here's an example of what a 600-word test sample looks like Sep 4, 2013

http://www.proz.com/post/248979#248979

I think it's totally reasonable. Actually, IMO it's not hard at all for someone proficient in both English and Chinese to finish and do a good job in an hour.

BTW, by my rough count, it's about 602 words.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
重温历史 Sep 4, 2013

那时是中文论坛的“太平盛世”!

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
建议 Sep 4, 2013

Renquan Yang wrote:

[Edited at 2013-09-04 09:40 GMT]

Renquan:

生物化学医药是非常热门的领域。以你的背景和条件,我建议你向国际市场发展。速度倒没必要那么快。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
[0:22] generates 23 lines Sep 4, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Unless I'm dyslexic, which I'm not, I' count 23 down and 23 across. But it clearly says 23 x 22 at the bottom of the page.

我也数了下,果然如你所说的,名实不符。呵呵。

Since it also says "Generated at 2012/1/16 ..." at the bottom, it must have been generated by somebody's program, which had a minor bug somewhere.

[Edited at 2013-09-04 16:01 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
up to '05 Sep 4, 2013

ysun wrote:

重温历史

那时是中文论坛的“太平盛世”!

Yueyin,

Incidentally, I was still relatively new to ProZ.com at the time. I discovered the website around early April that year by accident. At that point, a lot of things Chinese-related were all but forgotten, including some terms and phrases of the language itself.

But it's like riding a bicycle - for all intents and purposes, you can switch things on in almost an instant, and they all come flooding back to you.

I was thinking of taking up translation after retirement. But as you know, I changed my mind after it actually took place. The reason I still hang out here, is because it's kind of an outlet for me. I gave up chatting on stock message boards a long time ago, and know what a waste of time that could be. And I'd be damned if I get sucked into something like Facebook or Twitter. IMO, those are even more of a waste of time compared to this.

[Edited at 2013-09-04 22:16 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
beneficial Sep 5, 2013

Steve,

Yes, it is definitely beneficial to discuss with the right people in the right place at the right time although we still have to pay some prices and waste a lot of time from time to time.

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
翻译速度主要是为国内译者设定的 Sep 5, 2013

jyuan_us wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Yan Yuliang wrote:

The contents are more related to art and literature, and some might be political commentaries, I believe.

Therefore, it should be easy for a native Chinese to understand such contents. All that is left is to see how well the translator can paraphrase them in another language.

That could very well be, that they are assuming the majority of people taking the exam to be native-Chinese speakers, therefore making an allowance for the translation speed in the Chinese-to-English direction. IMO, the way the test is structured actually makes it more difficult for a non-native-Chinese speaker to score high because of the quick response required in rendering into good Chinese for the English-to-Chinese portion of the test.

[Edited at 2013-08-27 00:12 GMT]

at least not that much slower than translating into Chinese.

所以,英译中要求的速度比较高,而中译英要求的速度则低于英译中的速度。

当然,对于长期在英语国家生活的国人和华人而言,中译英的速度会更快些。

[Edited at 2013-09-05 11:41 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-09-06 15:33 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
国内翻译级别测验 Sep 5, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

翻译速度主要是为中国译者设定的

所以,英译中要求的速度比较高,而中译英要求的速度则低于英译中的速度。

当然,对于长期在英语国家生活的华人而言,中译英的速度会更快些。

J.H.,

That's how I feel too.

Something like this typically wouldn't happen in a place like the United States. Perhaps because of the mixed makeup of its demographics. Theoretically, you're not supposed to design a test that favors a certain group(insert here all that race, color, creed, sex, religion, etc. political correctness), especially a test sponsored by a government or government-sanctioned agency.

But I can understand the practicality of it when it comes to an exam of this nature in China.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

“英译汉速度每小时约600个单词”,各位有何评论?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »