QHE
QHE
United States
Local time: 22:00
English to Chinese
+ ...
Claim KudoZ points for you Nov 12, 2013

wherestip wrote: "诉讼苦衷"

Sometimes it's the other way around too. Some terms lose their traditional meaning after repeated use in some specialty field, to the extent that correct usage sometimes is perceived as wrong.

I remember responding to a KudoZ question way back when. I gave a suggestion of "权利诉讼 或 权利要求" for the English phrase "claims of privilege", which was met with a snide remark of "that is absurd". Granted, my Chinese was kind of rusty at that point - and to some extent it still is, especially when it comes to the new-fangled Chinese people speak today - but I don't think it stunk to the level of soliciting that kind of vehement indignation.

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/english_to_chinese/law:_contracts/1615402-honor_claims_of_privilege_recognized.html

从上下文看,”claims of privilege”应该是保密权利要求(有如Attorney–client privilege),也涉及不到裁决问题(同意即可)。

Doroto wrote:

... "诉讼" is just limited to a court litigation in Chinese.Thats very bad chinese, actually. Trust me.

What an arrogant attitude!

[Edited at 2013-11-13 15:52 GMT]

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:00
Chinese to English
+ ...
Attitude Nov 13, 2013

Yep. That's what left such a bad impression on me. It wasn't so much a language issue.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

译文探讨1

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »