Thread poster: Ying Wang
wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:17
Chinese to English
+ ...
Alternating the bottles Sep 18, 2014

I agree with everyone that even if there is some ambiguity in the sentence there is very, very little. I believe most people would read the sentence as referring to alternating the positions of the wine bottles up and down.

As to whether the bottles stand up or down vertically, or lie up or down horizontally depends on the design of the shipping box.

http://gorillashipper.com/buy-wine-shipping-boxes-and-accesories/#moldedpulp

As we can see, for a 12-bottle shipper like this, the wine bottles stand up and down vertically ...

Whereas for a 12-bottle shipper like this, the wine bottles lie up and down(or head to toe) horizontally ...

The sentence that Ying Wang has, IMO most likely refers to the wine bottles being in a horizontal position. To alternate the bottles up and down(or head to toe) not only makes for a more compact fit, but also distributes the weight more evenly, like so ...

Kenneth Woo
Kenneth Woo
China
Local time: 06:17
English to Chinese
Thanks for your comment, Wheretip 前輩. Sep 18, 2014

受教了。: )

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:17
Chinese to English
+ ...
Not much ambiguity Sep 18, 2014

You're welcome, Kenny. I'm no expert in packaging either. But that's what I get out of the stand-alone sentence without further context. IMO, the English sentence is clear enough for a casual reader. In some situations, overthinking the grammar may prove more problematic than prove beneficial.

BTW, I may have been mistaken on how the above shipper box is supposed to be used. Looking closer, all the bottles might be expected to be packed in in the upright vertical position.

[Edited at 2014-09-19 12:24 GMT]

QHE
QHE
United States
Local time: 18:17
English to Chinese
+ ...
Shipping Sep 18, 2014

Fargoer:

用于运输的包装盒,有些是可以倒置的,有些则不可以倒置。后者通常有特殊的标记提醒搬运人员。假如瓶子在运输盒内同方向摆放,运输盒就有了上下倒正之分。这种情况下往往会写请勿倒置的标记。

I agree. That's the most common way the system works.

wherestip wrote:

But that's what I get out of the stand-alone sentence without further context. IMO, the English sentence is clear enough for a casual reader.

I thought so too, Steve.

[Edited at 2014-09-18 20:56 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

请帮忙看一下这句话的理解

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »