Opinions and advice sought about Tradulinguas International Technical Translation Conference
Thread poster: Fabio Scaliti
Fabio Scaliti
Fabio Scaliti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:27
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
Feb 3, 2010

Dear Colleagues,

I am considering participating in the International Technical Translation Conference organised by Tradulinguas in Lisbon in May 2010. Website: http://www.tradulinguas.com/conf-tech/index.htm

It looks like a well-focused event aimed at technical translators. However, since similar conferences have already been organised by this company in the past,
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

I am considering participating in the International Technical Translation Conference organised by Tradulinguas in Lisbon in May 2010. Website: http://www.tradulinguas.com/conf-tech/index.htm

It looks like a well-focused event aimed at technical translators. However, since similar conferences have already been organised by this company in the past, I would be grateful for any information and comments provided by colleagues who have already taken part in previous editions.

Thank you in advance,

Fabio Scaliti
Collapse

Titia Meesters
Titia Meesters  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
Highly recommendable! Feb 3, 2010

I was at the Tradulinguas International Translation Conference on Health Sciences in Lisbon in October 2008. It was a well organized and very informative conference. Presentations were of high quality and there were plenty of opportunities to meet with colleagues. If this technical conference will be just as good, I would certainly recommend to go. The only negative point was that originally about half of the presentations were to be given in Portuguese, and the organization was not willing to a... See more
I was at the Tradulinguas International Translation Conference on Health Sciences in Lisbon in October 2008. It was a well organized and very informative conference. Presentations were of high quality and there were plenty of opportunities to meet with colleagues. If this technical conference will be just as good, I would certainly recommend to go. The only negative point was that originally about half of the presentations were to be given in Portuguese, and the organization was not willing to ask people to present in English. I decided at that point hat the other half of the presentations were still worthwile to go. However, in practice, a number of presentators decided right there to present in English anyway. It was great!Collapse

Marcia Liddle BA(Hons), MA, ACIL
Marcia Liddle BA(Hons), MA, ACIL
Local time: 07:27
French to English
+ ...
I would also recommend it! Feb 3, 2010

Hi Fabio,

I also attended the Tradulinguas International Translation Conference on Health Sciences in Lisbon in October 2008. I thought it was really informative and more like a series of intensive well-prepared lectures or seminars, than one of those conferences where you walk around and people try to sell you things (i.e. CAT tools) or give you vague wishy-washy information. They also gave away a free CD with the presentations from the lectures and many useful glossaries and resou
... See more
Hi Fabio,

I also attended the Tradulinguas International Translation Conference on Health Sciences in Lisbon in October 2008. I thought it was really informative and more like a series of intensive well-prepared lectures or seminars, than one of those conferences where you walk around and people try to sell you things (i.e. CAT tools) or give you vague wishy-washy information. They also gave away a free CD with the presentations from the lectures and many useful glossaries and resources. It was aimed at translators already working in the field and the talks were given by translators working in the field or doctors/scientists/dentists etc., so the information was all very in-depth and useful.

The only problem I found was that they had two lecture rooms and lectures running alongside each other all day, which meant that I missed quite a few of the talks that I had wanted to go to.

I will probably be going to the one in May because I have high hopes that it will be just as good, and its also a great excuse to visit Lisbon!

So, perhaps see you there!
Collapse

Fabio Scaliti
Fabio Scaliti  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Obrigado Feb 8, 2010

Dear Titia and Marcia,

thank you very much for your comments about the previous conferences organized by TraduLinguas!

I truly hope that most sessions will be held in English, as my Portuguese is limited to the word in the post title However, I think I will be able to gather more information on this point through the organizers themselves.

Should any other colleague have more comments and info
... See more
Dear Titia and Marcia,

thank you very much for your comments about the previous conferences organized by TraduLinguas!

I truly hope that most sessions will be held in English, as my Portuguese is limited to the word in the post title However, I think I will be able to gather more information on this point through the organizers themselves.

Should any other colleague have more comments and information to share on these events, I will be very pleased to read them. I also think that this kind of information may be useful to many other colleagues who are planning a trip to Lisbon.

Thank you again,

Fabio
Collapse

Karen Tkaczyk
Karen Tkaczyk  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:27
French to English
+ ...
Also heard good things about the last one Feb 18, 2010

Hi,
I researched the last conference too before deciding to attend this one. The feedback I got was strong. What was a bonus for me was that they accepted my speaker proposal so I don't have to pay the registration fee!
Most of the presentations are in English, yes. Even all of them, perhaps, but I'd have to check that.
Karen

João Roque Dias
João Roque Dias
Portugal
Local time: 07:27
English to Portuguese
View how it went May 31, 2010

View the photos here: http://bit.ly/bNhoPq

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opinions and advice sought about Tradulinguas International Technical Translation Conference

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »