Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:56
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Good point Oct 17, 2005

Yes, my favourite two cash machines are not there. You are probably right. Thanks!

Jana Teteris
Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Latvian to English
+ ...
Airport web-site Oct 17, 2005

Burrell -

I just checked the Balice airport website and it says that there is an ATM (and that the bank is open until 9pm), so you should be ok.

If not, I'm sure Yuri (aka the knight in shining armour) will offer to collect you and make sure you get to the hotel.

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I could not find this info Oct 17, 2005

[quote]Jana Teteris wrote:

I just checked the Balice airport website and it says that there is an ATM (and that the bank is open until 9pm), so you should be ok.

I looked everywhere on their site, found info on bank, currency exchange, mother and baby room but no ATM. Oh, well, one less thing to worry about.

Cheers,
Burrell

Yuri Smirnov
Yuri Smirnov  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:56
English to Belarusian
+ ...
If not... Oct 17, 2005

Jana Teteris wrote:

If not, I'm sure Yuri (aka the knight in shining armour) will offer to collect you and make sure you get to the hotel.

If not... I stress the "if not" clause. But "if so" will not let me use my rusty armour to help my Northern neighbours. Which I am 100% confident of. I haven't seen a shop in Poland without an ATM, not to say of an airport.

[Edited at 2005-10-17 16:54]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:56
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
There IS a cash maschine on Cracow airport Oct 17, 2005

or at least it was there I last time visited the city.
And the same about the Katowice airport.
But even if they wouldn´t have any cash maschines - there are a lot of shopping centres in the near of the hotel, so if you show the taxi driver you need a cash maschine, he will find his way there.

Please remember, you are comming to one of the biggest cities in Poland and one great european city. You will not see any traces of the iron curtain.

Regards
Je
... See more
or at least it was there I last time visited the city.
And the same about the Katowice airport.
But even if they wouldn´t have any cash maschines - there are a lot of shopping centres in the near of the hotel, so if you show the taxi driver you need a cash maschine, he will find his way there.

Please remember, you are comming to one of the biggest cities in Poland and one great european city. You will not see any traces of the iron curtain.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Cash machine Oct 17, 2005

Dear Jerzy,

It is natural for people to want to take control of little details when they are moving into foreign environment. I am a complete control freak so I just have to sort everything out well in advance (apart from bills - I always forget to pay them on time). I remember once being stranded in Paris where I arived by train very late and had to change train stations when all the metro ticked offices had been already closed. If it had not been for a very nice gentlman and his w
... See more
Dear Jerzy,

It is natural for people to want to take control of little details when they are moving into foreign environment. I am a complete control freak so I just have to sort everything out well in advance (apart from bills - I always forget to pay them on time). I remember once being stranded in Paris where I arived by train very late and had to change train stations when all the metro ticked offices had been already closed. If it had not been for a very nice gentlman and his wife who gave me a metro ticket to get to the other train station, I would still be wandering there.
And I am really appologise if I in any way offended you. I know and love Krakow, I just have never been in Krakow airport before.
Mind you, if you asked me whether there is a cash machine in Riga airport in Latvia, I would probably say exactly what you just said (actually I have no idea if there is a cash machine there!!).

Cheers,
Burrell
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No offence here Oct 17, 2005

My reaction was a result of attitude a lot of schoolfriends of our daughter have. Poland - this must be somwhere near Ural and veeeeery primitive...
I remember beeing once in Cracow in end 90ies with some managers from a very big german company. All young people somwhere about thirty... I took them to the market squere in the evening and we were sitting outside in a bar, dinking beer. They have had a real "wow" effect. I could see how astonished they were to see, what they have seen. I ask
... See more
My reaction was a result of attitude a lot of schoolfriends of our daughter have. Poland - this must be somwhere near Ural and veeeeery primitive...
I remember beeing once in Cracow in end 90ies with some managers from a very big german company. All young people somwhere about thirty... I took them to the market squere in the evening and we were sitting outside in a bar, dinking beer. They have had a real "wow" effect. I could see how astonished they were to see, what they have seen. I asked them what they have expected, and the answer was quite smilar to that "near Ural" attitude...
So that´s why I wrote, you are visiting a wonderfull european city, not because you are asking for cash maschines

Cheers
Jerzy
Collapse

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I know exactly what you mean Oct 17, 2005

You would not believe how many people have asked me, if Latvians have their own language and if we have central heating there. Brrr... At least your country is big. We are really small so a lot of people even have no idea where it is located ("Is it somewhere near the Ukrain" is my personal favourite).

[Edited at 2005-10-17 21:24]

aspire
aspire
German to English
+ ...
Hi, with wizzair there is no suitable flight from BUD, but I ' ve found some cheap ticket by MALEV Oct 22, 2005

Csaba Ban wrote:

Kraków is easily accessible from a wide range of European cities by budget airlines, so there is no excuse to miss this event!

Here is a list of European cities that are connected to Kraków by low-cost airlines.

DK: Copenhagen
FR: Paris (ORY)
DE: Berlin (SXF), Köln/Bonn, Dortmund, Hamburg, Stuttgart
GR: Chania, Heraklion, Rhodos
NL: Amsterdam
IE: Dublin
IT: Milano (BGY), Rome (CIA/FCO)
NO: Oslo
ES: Barcelona
UK: Glasgow, London (LGW/LTN/STN), Manchester

For more information, availability, airlines and booking:
http://www.whichbudget.com/en/cheapflights.php?from=KRK

Another option is flying to nearby Katowice, which is connected by frequent bus services to Kraków:

FR: Paris (BVA) (to KTW)
DE: Köln/Bonn, Dortmund, Frankfurt (HHN), Hannover
GR: Athens, Thessaloniki
HU: Budapest
IE: Dublin
IT: Milano (BGY), Rome (CIA)
ES: Gerona
SE: Stockholm
UK: Liverpool, London (LTN)

For more information, availability, airlines and booking:
http://www.whichbudget.com/en/cheapflights.php?from=KTW

There are of cource the regular airlines from some additional destinations.

aspire - Emese Tálas
Hi, with Wizzair there is no suitable flight from BUD, but I ' ve found some cheap ticket by MALEV.

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Balice airport arrivals Oct 22, 2005

Perhaps it will help a bit

http://www.lotnisko-balice.pl/eng/przyloty.asp

MurielP (X)
MurielP (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Flights from UK Oct 30, 2005

Hi,

I'm flying from Gatwick on Thursday 24th on Centralwings (return flight for £121) and was wondering if anyone else was taking that flight. If you are, contact me via my page and we could meet up and travel together. Anyone speaking polish would be of great help:))

Muriel

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Vierified as quite good Nov 2, 2005

http://www.spanie.krakow.pl/en/

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com Conference Krakow 2005: TRAVEL INFO

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »