English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Apr 3, 2009

Not exactly translation, but check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UgpfSp2t6k

And she teaches how to do it on her web site:
http://www.21accents.com

... on top of being a great singer, dancer etc.
Many of her clips can be found on YouTube.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:25
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Impressing! Apr 3, 2009

Thanks for sharing, that's quite impressing!

Would somebody care to explain what the jokes about the accents from Wellington ("I'm 27, err, 26, err 25 years old") and Toronto ("WHAT?") are about? I suppose they relate to a certain image the respective people have in the english-speaking world?

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
She's good Apr 3, 2009

She didn't do the French accent very well, and the best she did was Aussy accent, considering the fact she is American ?

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
The Irish accents ... Apr 3, 2009

... were a crock, especially the Dublin one. But especially the Belfast one. I could sell her mine, been trying to get rid of it for decades ... to no avail.

Still, no mean feat. Practice makes perfect!

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:25
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
And the response... Apr 3, 2009

... apparently from Israel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0reWzX0IYws

Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
Scottish? Apr 3, 2009

The Scottish accent was pretty poor, throwing in words like 'wee', 'tartan' and 'shortbread' doesn't make it any more genuine!

[Edited at 2009-04-03 19:28 GMT]

JPW (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Och aye (the noo). Apr 3, 2009

The Scottish accent was pretty poor, throwing in words like 'wee', 'tartan' and 'shortbread' don't make it any more genuine!

Ye cannae do tha' mon! Hoots. That's just stereotyping people.

Jocelyne S
Jocelyne S  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
The "What" was from Brooklyn Apr 3, 2009

efreitag wrote:

Would somebody care to explain what the jokes about the accents from Wellington ("I'm 27, err, 26, err 25 years old") and Toronto ("WHAT?") are about? I suppose they relate to a certain image the respective people have in the english-speaking world?

Efreitag, the "What" was her segue into the Brooklyn bit, not a reference to Toronto.

I'm originally from Canada (although not from Toronto) and I found that her California and Seattle accents sounded more realistically "Canadian" (if such a thing exists!) than the Toronto bit.

I didn't get the Wellington joke either.

A nice weekend to all,
Jocelyne

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:25
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Impressive Apr 3, 2009

The German accent wasn't very convincing, though...

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 23:25
Chinese to English
Re: New Zealand accent Apr 3, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C6arOwzsus&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrdii-HPS9U&feature=related

[Edited at 2009-04-03 23:51 GMT]

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 07:25
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
My impressions Apr 4, 2009

I'm a full-leaf Canadian. To wit: Henry D, our dear founder, asked me once if I'd always had that Canadian accent

I found the Toronto accent rather heavy on the oooooo in the Scottish sense, but then this made me think of Henry's observation above. As an added note, I must add that watching our US-heavy TV, I instantly know a Canadian speaker by the oooooo in his/her speech, sooooooo...

I agree with Jocelyn
... See more
I'm a full-leaf Canadian. To wit: Henry D, our dear founder, asked me once if I'd always had that Canadian accent

I found the Toronto accent rather heavy on the oooooo in the Scottish sense, but then this made me think of Henry's observation above. As an added note, I must add that watching our US-heavy TV, I instantly know a Canadian speaker by the oooooo in his/her speech, sooooooo...

I agree with Jocelyne S: the Seattle accent sounds like what I think I sound like when I speak. And as for LA: I remember explaining to an English friend, in England, that actors from the US have been known to come to Canada for accent-adjustment This was while watching Saturday Night Fever, where I had to interpret the Brooklyn accented dialogue for my friends, natives of Suffolk and Wales.

Actually, I found that the Dublin accent resembles what I hear from my neighbours here in Eastern Ontario, but then again that was my impression when I visited that magical part of the world.

And John Paul Weir, when I think of the time in my life when I came soooo cloooooose to moving to Portrush forever, I don't remember the airport officials (erm) sounding anything like that!

Finally, I find that her take on Texas reveals British roots.

My 0.02 CAD

Nancy

[Edited at 2009-04-04 02:27 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
French and/or Spanish accent missing! Apr 4, 2009

Great video. Smashing. I only miss the accent of a French and/or Spanish person speaking English. I can only remember BBC's TV series "Allo Allo!". The story is hilarious, but the accents (English by French, English by Germans, English by English airmen who don't understand English unless it is spoken with an English-airmen accent) add extra power to the fun!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Indeed... Apr 4, 2009

Nicole Schnell wrote:
The German accent wasn't very convincing, though...

I agree....

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Interview Apr 4, 2009

Your post made me curious, so I just googled her and found an interesting interview where she more or less explains this accent idea video:

Doesn't everyone use a number of voices? There's a different energy from when you talk to your grandmother as opposed to your wife or a colleague. People ask me "What's your real accent?" That's such a weird question to me. When I'm with my friend in Australia, I have that accent. You also adopt accents when you speak in French or Spanish, for example.

So true, because intonation and accent can be key elements when trying to communicate well (verbally) in a foreign language, besides the fact that many comedians often make of accent imitation one of their trademarks.

About the imitator (fan?) of her video, he also sounds very good to me, I have to say, but I don't know enough about all the accents, so...

JPW (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Slightly O-T Apr 4, 2009

And John Paul Weir, when I think of the time in my life when I came soooo cloooooose to moving to Portrush forever, I don't remember the airport officials (erm) sounding anything like that!

Nancy, now why would you go and do a crazy thing like that?!

@ Tomás:
Great video. Smashing. I only miss the accent of a French and/or Spanish person speaking English. I can only remember BBC's TV series "Allo Allo!". The story is hilarious, but the accents (English by French, English by Germans, English by English airmen who don't understand English unless it is spoken with an English-airmen accent) add extra power to the fun!

You should have posted a clip of that...and then of course there's always Manuel, the Spanish-speaking waiter from Fawlty Towers, who's making news again, for a rather different reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX85Y5Zb7sw

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090403/ten-bbc-fined-over-sachs-prank-calls-ea4616c.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

21 Accents - Amy Walker

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »