Off topic: Do you have typoglycemia? Probably!
Thread poster: Jande
Jande
Jande  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 18:42
Danish to English
+ ...
Sep 3, 2009

After hours of proofreading I wonder!

What is typoglycemia? This is from the Wikipedia:

I cdn'uolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg: the phaonmneel pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rseearch taem at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs
... See more
After hours of proofreading I wonder!

What is typoglycemia? This is from the Wikipedia:

I cdn'uolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg: the phaonmneel pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rseearch taem at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Such a cdonition is arppoiatrely cllaed Typoglycemia- Mbaye taht's why FCUK T-srihts are so cmoomn?
Amzanig huh? Yaeh and you awlyas thguoht slpeling was ipmorantt.

No such research was carried out at Cambridge University. The creation of such email messages started with a letter to the New Scientist magazine from Graham Rawlinson in which he discusses his Ph.D. thesis:

In a puiltacibon of New Scnieitst you could ramdinose all the letetrs, keipeng the first two and last two the same, and reibadailty would hadrly be aftcfeed. My ansaylis did not come to much beucase the thoery at the time was for shape and senqeuce retigcionon. Saberi's work sugsegts we may have some pofrweul palrlael prsooscers at work.The resaon for this is suerly that idnetiyfing coentnt by paarllel prseocsing speeds up regnicoiton. We only need the first and last two letetrs to spot chganes in meniang.

Wonder if this works in other languages?
Collapse

Ma.Elena Carrión de Medina
Ma.Elena Carrión de Medina  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 03:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wow! Sep 3, 2009

Hlleo Jnade,

I jsut raed and uonotsredd the wlohe acrtlie wtih no pelborm at all!! Azmiang!!

Deos taht mkae me a tgcypmoyeilan??????

I dno´t mnid, I jsut hpoe I dn´ot satrt wtnriig lkie tihs!... or tihs tgcypmoyeilan wlil lsoe her job! : )

Tahkns for snirhag...
Elena

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 10:42
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
WoW! Sep 3, 2009

I wish my transloationjs would raed as nealisy as your text.

Dreaming of Speech recognition I ma

Yuors sncierely

Mtas Wanim

Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:42
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Word is the smallest meaningful unit of written language Sep 3, 2009

I think this proves that the word, and not the letter, is assumed by most of us as the smallest meaningful unit of written language. So probably the phonetic alphabet was not the best invention of man. Just count how much time and space and ink we waste to eventually come to the final result of ignoring all these intermediate signs and reading just words.

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:42
English to German
Yes, it works in other languages, too. Sep 3, 2009

yonedatransterp
yonedatransterp
Local time: 01:42
Japanese to English
+ ...
limitations exist though. Sep 3, 2009

A dootcr has aimttded the magltheuansr of a tageene ceacnr pintaet who deid aetfr a hatospil durg blendur

same rules.

A doctor has admitted the manslaughter of a teenage cancer patient who died after a hospital drug blunder.

some words are ambiguous, so there are limitations to the ability to reconstruct meaning from a set of words. Its really that there are only so many words within the language of X letters, that start with, and end with th
... See more
A dootcr has aimttded the magltheuansr of a tageene ceacnr pintaet who deid aetfr a hatospil durg blendur

same rules.

A doctor has admitted the manslaughter of a teenage cancer patient who died after a hospital drug blunder.

some words are ambiguous, so there are limitations to the ability to reconstruct meaning from a set of words. Its really that there are only so many words within the language of X letters, that start with, and end with the specific letters. most words being around 5-6 letters long, thats only 3-4 variable letters. Vowel placement has rules, and so that further narrows down the possible combination. As the human brain is good at pattern recognition, the rest of it is quite easily done as a background process. Its a simple question of combinatorics, and how much parallel processing the brain can do. The better educated, and stronger vocabulary one has, the better ability to reconstruct the sentence.

this breaks down as soon as words become longer, and escape beyond a small set of potential words. teenage, for instance has 3 vowels, of which are difficult to place as the ratio of vowels to consonants doesn't allow for the placement rules to narrow down the possibilities. and so on.
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
French and Portuguese Sep 3, 2009

Sleon une édtue de l'Uvinertisé de Cmabrigde, l'odrre des ltteers dnas un mtos n'a pas d'ipmrotncae, la suele coshe ipmrotnate est que la pmeirère et la drenèire soit à la bnnoe pclae. Le rsete peut êrte dnas un dsérorde ttoal et vuos puoevz tujoruos lrie snas porlblème. C'est prace que le creaveu hmauin ne lit pas chuaqe ltetre elle-mmêe, mias le mot cmome un tuot.

De aorcdo com uma pqsieusa de uma uinrvesriddae ignlsea, não ipomtra em qaul odrem as lrteas de uma plravaa
... See more
Sleon une édtue de l'Uvinertisé de Cmabrigde, l'odrre des ltteers dnas un mtos n'a pas d'ipmrotncae, la suele coshe ipmrotnate est que la pmeirère et la drenèire soit à la bnnoe pclae. Le rsete peut êrte dnas un dsérorde ttoal et vuos puoevz tujoruos lrie snas porlblème. C'est prace que le creaveu hmauin ne lit pas chuaqe ltetre elle-mmêe, mias le mot cmome un tuot.

De aorcdo com uma pqsieusa de uma uinrvesriddae ignlsea, não ipomtra em qaul odrem as lrteas de uma plravaa etãso, a úncia csioa iprotmatne é que a piremria e útmlia lrteas etejasm no lgaur crteo. O rseto pdoe ser uma ttaol bçguana que vcoê pdoe anida ler sem pobrlmea. Itso é poqrue nós não lmeos cdaa lrtea isladoa, mas a plravaa cmoo um tdoo.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you have typoglycemia? Probably!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »