Off topic: Some German dictionaries ....
Thread poster: Kathinka van de Griendt
Kathinka van de Griendt
Kathinka van de Griendt  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:52
German to English
+ ...
Nov 5, 2009

I had to call my provider yesterday about a problem I was experiencing with my email account. The consultant, who is of German origin but cannot speak the language, sent me the following when he successfully received my test mail:

"Durchgebraten. Geniessen Sie einen guten Tag!"

After a bit of thinking I concluded that he meant, "Well done. Have a nice day!"

Love it!!!

Kathinka

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Analogy Nov 5, 2009

Kathinka van de Griendt wrote:

I had to call my provider yesterday about a problem I was experiencing with my email account. The consultant, who is of German origin but cannot speak the language, sent me the following when he successfully received my test mail:

"Durchgebraten. Geniessen Sie einen guten Tag!"

After a bit of thinking I concluded that he meant, "Well done. Have a nice day!"

Love it!!!

Kathinka

This reminds me of the advertising slogan for some tobacco brand and its double meaning: "It's toasted!" Na dann, guten Appetit! A day can be quite heavy to... digest in some cases.

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Durchgebratene tests und steaks Nov 5, 2009

Wow, but this here is really wonderful. A "durchgebratener" test... - My compliment: It would have taken me some time to decode this.

The German guest in a British restaurant (in a joke, popular among English teachers), asking the waiter "When will I become my steak?!" - and getting the waiter´s polite answer "I hope never, Sir...", now has a nice equivalent in my private collection...

[Edited at 2009-11-05 23:33 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Some German dictionaries ....

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »