Thread poster: Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:39
Russian to English
+ ...
Dec 4, 2009

I awoke at 4:00 this morning, unable to sleep because of irritation at a person who was fussing over my absolutely flawless translation. Opening up the Washington Post, I found this review of a new book, Lexicographer's Dilemma: The Evolution of `Proper' English from Shakespeare to `South Park', by Jack Lynch. The review is funny, and makes me want to read the book. A good lesson to "lighte... See more
I awoke at 4:00 this morning, unable to sleep because of irritation at a person who was fussing over my absolutely flawless translation. Opening up the Washington Post, I found this review of a new book, Lexicographer's Dilemma: The Evolution of `Proper' English from Shakespeare to `South Park', by Jack Lynch. The review is funny, and makes me want to read the book. A good lesson to "lighten up"!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/03/AR2009120304129.html
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:39
Italian to English
+ ...
Nice! Dec 4, 2009

Thanks for sharing - I want to go out and buy the book too, now. Although of course if it's in written in US English, it'll provide me with more opportunities to go crazy

Penelope Ausejo
Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks! Dec 4, 2009

Thanks for sharing

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:39
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Thank you for that Dec 4, 2009

A very amusing and well-written review. I wonder if the review is better than the book? Maybe I'll buy the book and find out. Though I too might go crazy about what the Americans have done to "our" language!

TonyTK
TonyTK
German to English
+ ...
The Americans? Dec 4, 2009

Jack Doughty wrote:

A very amusing and well-written review. I wonder if the review is better than the book? Maybe I'll buy the book and find out. Though I too might go crazy about what the Americans have done to "our" language!

No, Jack, they ain't done nothing to it. For sure.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:39
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@TonyTK: Them's fightin' words! Dec 5, 2009

My husband, who convinced me before I married him 40 years ago that he knows practically everything that is worth knowing, and who more recently has spent 10-15 years studying Shakespeare's England and the "America Project" of what remained of the English Renaissance, once told me that American English is closer to Shakespeare's English than British English is. I don't know if that's true or not, but certainly those dudes on the BBC Shakespeare videos speak our common language as though they ha... See more
My husband, who convinced me before I married him 40 years ago that he knows practically everything that is worth knowing, and who more recently has spent 10-15 years studying Shakespeare's England and the "America Project" of what remained of the English Renaissance, once told me that American English is closer to Shakespeare's English than British English is. I don't know if that's true or not, but certainly those dudes on the BBC Shakespeare videos speak our common language as though they had marbles in their mouths.

Susan
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:39
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Ain't done nothing? Dec 5, 2009

Well, they ain't done nothing with the expression "ain't done nothing" anyway. Cor blimey mate, Cockneys have been saying that for centuries (only they pronounce it "ain't done nuffin").

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fighting over the English language - review of a new book

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »