Off topic: Really bad joke for IT>EN translators / barzelletta tristissima per traduttori IT>EN
Thread poster: Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:28
Italian to English
+ ...
Dec 14, 2009

Two cups were on holiday in Italy. Also on the tour bus were some knives and forks, saucers, a family of mugs, etc..

One day the tour bus stopped in the piazza of a small, medieval village in Tuscany. As the cups and saucers were getting out, a dinner plate walked up to them and started abusing the tour group. "You damn foreign crockery!" he yelled (in Italian). "I hate you all!" This abuse went on for some time, using language that was pretty colourful. Finally the plate got tir
... See more
Two cups were on holiday in Italy. Also on the tour bus were some knives and forks, saucers, a family of mugs, etc..

One day the tour bus stopped in the piazza of a small, medieval village in Tuscany. As the cups and saucers were getting out, a dinner plate walked up to them and started abusing the tour group. "You damn foreign crockery!" he yelled (in Italian). "I hate you all!" This abuse went on for some time, using language that was pretty colourful. Finally the plate got tired of shouting and screaming and went away.

The tour guide apologised to the cups and saucers etc. for this behaviour, and as an explanation he said: "It's a typical plate of the area"...
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:28
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Cutlery joke to go with the crockery one. Dec 14, 2009

There's a very old weak English joke which goes:
"Who was that lady I saw you with last night?"
"That was no lady, that was my wife!"

Several other jokes were based on this, including:

The spoon says to the fork: "Who was that ladle I saw you with last night?"
The fork replies: "That was no ladle, that was my knife!"

Anna Lanave
Anna Lanave  Identity Verified
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
Translation question Dec 14, 2009

What's the point of translating "bad joke" with "barzelletta tristissima"?

Thanks
Anna

Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:-( Dec 14, 2009

lanave wrote:

What's the point of translating "bad joke" with "barzelletta tristissima"?

Thanks
Anna

I originally put this in the Italian forum, but it got moved here.
Thanks for reading...
C

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Really bad joke for IT>EN translators / barzelletta tristissima per traduttori IT>EN

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »