Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Different language, different voice register?
Thread poster: Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:21
Member (2008)
English to French
Dec 15, 2009

Does anyone (male or female) notice that they speak in different registers depending on the language? For example when I speak English my voice is high pitched and when I speak French it is much more guttural If I speak English in my "Fr voice" I sound like a man and when I speak French in my "En voice" I sound like a cartoon character Is it me? Does anyone else cha... See more
Does anyone (male or female) notice that they speak in different registers depending on the language? For example when I speak English my voice is high pitched and when I speak French it is much more guttural If I speak English in my "Fr voice" I sound like a man and when I speak French in my "En voice" I sound like a cartoon character Is it me? Does anyone else change vocal register dramatically from one language to the next. I'm just curious because I find it hilarious and I've never seen it discussed elsewhere!Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:21
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes, deeper in Russian Dec 15, 2009

When I speak Russian (very rarely!) I do so in a deeper tone. Though my spoken Russian is not fluent, I have been told my accent is good, probably because I spent 27 years listening to Russian at BBC Monitoring.

polyglot45
polyglot45
English to French
+ ...
Absolutely Dec 15, 2009

I always drop at least one tone when I pass from English to French and it changes again in my other languages. I much prefer my "French" voice to my "English" one...

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:21
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
yes, higher in French Dec 15, 2009

I (male) just tried it out: I'm speaking in a significantly higher register in French compared to German, English or Dutch (for which I seem to be using more or less the same pitch).

[Bearbeitet am 2009-12-15 08:32 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2009-12-15 08:32 GMT]

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:21
Dutch to English
+ ...
Different Voice register Dec 15, 2009

Good morning Ananne,

What a fun and interesting topic.

I compared Dutch, Spanish and English. My Dutch is definitely heavier, lower with a tendency to roll my 'r' and to me my Spanish and English seem to have the same voice register, perhaps Spanish a bit higher than English.

I also speak a dialect from Suriname, Sranan Tongo. The voice register there seems the same as the English. Not surprising because this dialect is an English based creole dialect.... See more
Good morning Ananne,

What a fun and interesting topic.

I compared Dutch, Spanish and English. My Dutch is definitely heavier, lower with a tendency to roll my 'r' and to me my Spanish and English seem to have the same voice register, perhaps Spanish a bit higher than English.

I also speak a dialect from Suriname, Sranan Tongo. The voice register there seems the same as the English. Not surprising because this dialect is an English based creole dialect.

Do I see here for you a scholarly paper in the making ?

Thanks for sharing this.

Greetings from a rainy Suriname
Lucinda
Collapse

Marie Weber
Marie Weber  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
Indeed an interesting topic Dec 15, 2009

I just noticed this phenomenon the other day when a friend played a message I´d left on his answering machine in my presence. While it´s strange enough to hear me talking on tape in my native tongue (German), listening to my English was an odd thing. Not only in a different pitch, but - strangely - I do speak a lot quicker than I do when talking German.

But then it usually feels odd to hear other people - whos native ´voice´ you got used to - speak in a different language, if it
... See more
I just noticed this phenomenon the other day when a friend played a message I´d left on his answering machine in my presence. While it´s strange enough to hear me talking on tape in my native tongue (German), listening to my English was an odd thing. Not only in a different pitch, but - strangely - I do speak a lot quicker than I do when talking German.

But then it usually feels odd to hear other people - whos native ´voice´ you got used to - speak in a different language, if it is one that you know very well and feel comfortable in. Still the same person, but something seems...a little off. So why should it be different for myself?

Greetings from snowy Munich,
Marie
Collapse

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:21
Member (2008)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Glad everyone finds it interesting :-) Dec 15, 2009

I wonder if there are any implications for voice recognition (as in patterns and echelon-type security programs).

@Lucinda, I never even considered the possibility of this being a research subject though if it has not been addressed before in academia it could be interesting and I'll be sure to keep it on my mental back burner for when I start taking classes again I also speak some Mandarin but not enough to have a "
... See more
I wonder if there are any implications for voice recognition (as in patterns and echelon-type security programs).

@Lucinda, I never even considered the possibility of this being a research subject though if it has not been addressed before in academia it could be interesting and I'll be sure to keep it on my mental back burner for when I start taking classes again I also speak some Mandarin but not enough to have a "normal voice" yet... we'll see where it falls!

@Polyglot: I also find that when I speak with a European French accent (I can pass for French amongst French people so I'm pretty spot on until I slip up and say "magasiner" instead of "shopping" I speak with a higher pitch than québécois but those two are miles away from my English speaking voice.

Dollars to donuts anyone reading this thread is at this moment trying to speak normally (difficult when you're self conscious about it) in different languages to see if it applies to them too

Dull & rainy in Shanghai
Collapse

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
absolutely Dec 15, 2009

I noticed this phenomenon as well: When I speak English, my voice is higher, but deeper when I speak German. Even my English-only speaking partner can hear the difference.

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
No question about it Dec 15, 2009

I first noticed this in myself many, many years ago, but I have also observed it in my wife, my daughters, and many other people who speak more than one language.

RichardDeegan
RichardDeegan
Local time: 02:21
Spanish to English
Yup Dec 15, 2009

My Spanish is a bit higher. Also, local (and other) place and street names come out with true accent when speaking Spanish, but with English (NY) accent when speaking Spanish. Arequipa vs. Airy Quipa, Wheel-sone vs. Wilsun, etc.

Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
Definitely Dec 15, 2009

My partner's voice is much deeper when he speaks in Swedish, as is my son's (and his voice hasn't broken yet). My partner is a native Swedish speaker and my son completely bilingual. I'm fairly sure that my native English voice is a little higher than my Swedish voice, but not by much.

My son also pronounces his name differently depending on whether he's speaking Swedish or English, which never ceases to amuse me!

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:21
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Nope Dec 15, 2009

I speak in exactly the same tone range in English and Portuguese. Go figure!

LittleGreen
LittleGreen
Finland
Local time: 10:21
Japanese to Finnish
+ ...
Very different! Dec 15, 2009

Yes, I noticed this a long time ago. My friends and I have had many laughs thanks to the phenomenon.

Finnish female voice is rather on the lower side, and contrasts greatly to Japanese females who often have a very high-pitched voice (especially at formal situations). I speak considerable higher in Japanese. I always thought it might be because of an unconscious effort to try to sound more like native speakers, even while I make a conscious effort to not speak as high as Japanese wo
... See more
Yes, I noticed this a long time ago. My friends and I have had many laughs thanks to the phenomenon.

Finnish female voice is rather on the lower side, and contrasts greatly to Japanese females who often have a very high-pitched voice (especially at formal situations). I speak considerable higher in Japanese. I always thought it might be because of an unconscious effort to try to sound more like native speakers, even while I make a conscious effort to not speak as high as Japanese women!

My English and German voices are also very different from my regular Finnish voice, although it's more difficult to find a reason why, as I don't think the registers are that different. It could be because the phonemes are a little different.

It'd be interesting to read a research made on this topic. Maybe it'd reveal the reason behind the change!

@Clare Barnes: I also pronounce my name differently when speaking English. I've tried my best to keep the Finnish way, but it's impossible!
Collapse

Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:21
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
An attempt to explain the phenomenon Dec 16, 2009

I think it's not a specific language feature but rather our approach to the language. The better we know the language the lower the pitch and, probably, also the lower the voice. In other words, I think for a foreign language we use a higher pitch and loader voice, because subconsciously we are less self-confident and try to be better understood that way. Of course, there are also some language-specific reasons to change the pitch, for example the speed or musical stress.

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Imitating the natives Dec 18, 2009

I think the reason is that certain languages seem to occupy a higher pitch region than others, and we subconsciously imitate that when we speak.

When I first came to England, I felt that at least half of the female population was virtually squeaking. Males - having a deeper tone - came across more naturally, but perhaps more of them spoke with a lighter, higher voice than I was used to.

I am sure I adapted to it myself, and now I don't notice it any more.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Different language, different voice register?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »