Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
The hazards of crowdsourcing Dec 20, 2009

One of the hazards of free translation via "crowdsourcing" is assuming that everyone is benevolent.

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:15
German to English
+ ...
Oh my. Dec 20, 2009

This is quite inspirational, really. Now I regret my past opposition to crowdsourcing and will take part in such efforts with great enthusiasm. How could I have overlooked the possibilities?

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 14:15
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for replying Jeff and Kevin Dec 21, 2009

Maybe I should spend some time to dig into facefook to find more such hidden treasures. I suppose if it is some kind of joke played by a translator, she will do it more than once.

Actually “笨蛋” is stronger than "stupid" as it is a colloquial noun (some people might think it is a swear word) for "a fool, an idiot", which literally means "stupid egg (or stupid b**l)".

[Edited at 2009-12-21 02:36 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Rude facebook... Dec 21, 2009

Dallas Cao wrote:

Maybe I should spend some time to dig into facefook to find more such hidden treasures. I suppose if it is some kind of joke played by a translator, she will do it more than once.

Actually “笨蛋” is stronger than "stupid" as it is a colloquial noun (some people might think it is a swear word) for "a fool, an idiot", which literally means "stupid egg (or stupid b**l)".

[Edited at 2009-12-21 02:36 GMT]

called "facefook"... especially for Mancunians... lol

[Edited at 2009-12-21 13:32 GMT]

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
The possiblities Dec 21, 2009

You know, Dallas, there are interesting marketing possibilities here. At least I think it would be fun to have a little page on one's web sites inviting those who find your services too expensive to explore the wonders of Google Translate and crowdsourcing. With appropriate examples, of course

This reminds me of stories I have heard of westerners who think that Chinese and Japanese script tattoos are cool and have the
... See more
You know, Dallas, there are interesting marketing possibilities here. At least I think it would be fun to have a little page on one's web sites inviting those who find your services too expensive to explore the wonders of Google Translate and crowdsourcing. With appropriate examples, of course

This reminds me of stories I have heard of westerners who think that Chinese and Japanese script tattoos are cool and have them stuck in (I remember watching Irezumi years ago with a very sick feeling) without checking the meaning of the foreign text. Give me dragons, anchors and mermaids any day. At least I know what I'm getting.
Collapse

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 14:15
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same inspirations Dec 21, 2009

Hi Kevin,

I am amazed that we have similar ideas. I actually started to collect obvious mistakes I come across anytime, without a clear purpose and not limited to crowdsourcing though. But It will definitely be interesting to keep such a page (and helpful to the companies using crowdsoucing).

I have seen a lots of funny Chinese tattoos on the internet too. I remember a friend collected a lot such pictures on his blog. Sadly his blog service provider was down and his bl
... See more
Hi Kevin,

I am amazed that we have similar ideas. I actually started to collect obvious mistakes I come across anytime, without a clear purpose and not limited to crowdsourcing though. But It will definitely be interesting to keep such a page (and helpful to the companies using crowdsoucing).

I have seen a lots of funny Chinese tattoos on the internet too. I remember a friend collected a lot such pictures on his blog. Sadly his blog service provider was down and his blog disappeared with it.

By the way, I got to know your blog quite long time ago through Wenjer, a German-Chinese translator. He recommended some articles you wrote.

Dallas

[Edited at 2009-12-21 15:04 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Someone changes "edit ad" page title of facebook into "I am stupid"

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »