Off topic: Is this normal? Are all direct clients like this?!
Thread poster: guybtaylor
guybtaylor
guybtaylor  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 14:21
Dec 20, 2009

I've been trying to increase the number of direct clients I work with recently, and fired off some emails and CVs to a lot of companies.

I have had a few responses so far, but one of the weirdest has come from a major technology company (I won't mention the name). The guy who has been in contact with me (by phone) sounds extremely young - maybe around 17 or 18, and is extremely hyperactive with a very squeaky voice. He calls me several times a day with new project requests and won't
... See more
I've been trying to increase the number of direct clients I work with recently, and fired off some emails and CVs to a lot of companies.

I have had a few responses so far, but one of the weirdest has come from a major technology company (I won't mention the name). The guy who has been in contact with me (by phone) sounds extremely young - maybe around 17 or 18, and is extremely hyperactive with a very squeaky voice. He calls me several times a day with new project requests and won't take no for an answer.

Is this kind of behaviour normal from direct clients? I always imagined the people I would be dealing with would be quiet middle aged women in hr or admin offices. Has anyone else had any similar experiences to mine? What kind of people do you usually find you are dealing with?
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:21
German to English
+ ...
It takes all kinds Dec 20, 2009

I can't say that there is any typical profile for the direct customers I've known. Some are hugely professional, others less so. You might be talking to a marketing intern with ADHD that was given the responsibility for translations so he wouldn't mess up more important work

Edited to add:

If the company pays on time and has interesting texts, I'd say learn to love Mickey Mouse.

[Edite
... See more
I can't say that there is any typical profile for the direct customers I've known. Some are hugely professional, others less so. You might be talking to a marketing intern with ADHD that was given the responsibility for translations so he wouldn't mess up more important work

Edited to add:

If the company pays on time and has interesting texts, I'd say learn to love Mickey Mouse.

[Edited at 2009-12-20 18:23 GMT]
Collapse

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:21
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
:) Dec 20, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:
You might be talking to a marketing intern with ADHD that was given the responsibility for translations so he wouldn't mess up more important work
Edited to add:

[Edited at 2009-12-20 18:23 GMT]

excellent point Kevin
regards, Ewa

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:21
Dutch to English
+ ...
It does take all kinds Dec 20, 2009

My dearest direct client is an elderly gentleman of 84 who owns a sizeable local enterprise. He has been my client since 2004. He regularly sends jobs and wants them asap, preferably yesterday. Things run like a charm through his grandson who curbs his impatience fantastically.

I have been telling my client for years that my fingers and brain are getting on in years. You're only a whippersnapper he says to my 50+ years. He at 84 is right, of course....
See more
My dearest direct client is an elderly gentleman of 84 who owns a sizeable local enterprise. He has been my client since 2004. He regularly sends jobs and wants them asap, preferably yesterday. Things run like a charm through his grandson who curbs his impatience fantastically.

I have been telling my client for years that my fingers and brain are getting on in years. You're only a whippersnapper he says to my 50+ years. He at 84 is right, of course.

We get along fabulously and he pays immediately upon delivery of the work. What else would I want.

So, like Kevin said, if he pays on time and well, love him dearly.

Good luck!
Lucinda
Collapse

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:21
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Very wise Dec 20, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:
You might be talking to a marketing intern with ADHD that was given the responsibility for translations so he wouldn't mess up more important work

You are a very wise man.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this normal? Are all direct clients like this?!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »