How to overwrite automatic invoice codes in Translation Office 3000?
Thread poster: Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Australia
Local time: 18:13
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Apr 17, 2008

Hello,

I am using Translation Office 3000 Version 8 and am getting a bit frustrated with the invoicing option. I bought it last year but have not been using it regularly and am now planning to start using it religiously with the beginning of the new tax year here in the UK.

I just entered all customers and jobs done this month and now I am trying to create invoices for these jobs in the system. As I have been invoicing these clients manually with consecutive codes in th
... See more
Hello,

I am using Translation Office 3000 Version 8 and am getting a bit frustrated with the invoicing option. I bought it last year but have not been using it regularly and am now planning to start using it religiously with the beginning of the new tax year here in the UK.

I just entered all customers and jobs done this month and now I am trying to create invoices for these jobs in the system. As I have been invoicing these clients manually with consecutive codes in the past (e.g. "I-XYZTRANS025", I now obviously need to continue with code "I-XYZTRANS026", but as it's the first invoice I am entering in Translation Office 3000 the system automatically assigns invoice number "....01" to it. In the actual invoice it says "Code: Auto". But I want to manually enter my own code for each invoice.

I cannot seem to find a way to overwrite the automatically assigned code and enter the codes I need for each customer. This renders the whole software useless, as I do not want to start at 001 again for customers I have already issued dozens of invoices for. Surely this can't be right and there must be a way to manually enter an invoice number for each individual invoice if we choose to??

I tried their help function, index and google but to no avail, and I cannot see a previous thread on the subject here in the forums. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Nicole
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 13:43
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
See if this is of help Apr 17, 2008

1. Delete the existing codes you don't want in the invoice template.

2. Go to Settings, then Advanced.

3. Then Custom variables. Select New and then create and name the variable you want.

4. Now return to your invoice template and insert the variable you have created at the appropriate place, save the template and close it. You might want to rename this template if you want to retain the original one also.

The inovoice templates can be found
... See more
1. Delete the existing codes you don't want in the invoice template.

2. Go to Settings, then Advanced.

3. Then Custom variables. Select New and then create and name the variable you want.

4. Now return to your invoice template and insert the variable you have created at the appropriate place, save the template and close it. You might want to rename this template if you want to retain the original one also.

The inovoice templates can be found in the folder for Translation Office in Programme Folder. This folder may not allow you to save the files. So save the file on your desktop or some other place and then cut and paste the new invoice template into the invoice template folder in the Programme Folder.

TO3000 v8 is not as intuitive as v7. But since v7 is no longer being supported and it does not function with Windows Vista, we have no choice but to start using v8.

I personally found v7 more user-friendly and sufficient for my needs. But then...
Collapse

Simon Mountifield
Simon Mountifield  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:13
French to English
A possible solution Apr 17, 2008

Yes, I had the same problem when I finally decided to start using TO3000. Until then, I'd been using codes on my invoices as well, such as SBM/218, SBM/219, etc. So the problem was getting TO3000 to start at 220, rather than 001.

This is what I did:

1) Go to Settings and then Advanced.

2) Select Codes.

3) Click on the Next Codes button and in the dialogue box that opens, you can enter the starting code number in the field called Next Global Inv
... See more
Yes, I had the same problem when I finally decided to start using TO3000. Until then, I'd been using codes on my invoices as well, such as SBM/218, SBM/219, etc. So the problem was getting TO3000 to start at 220, rather than 001.

This is what I did:

1) Go to Settings and then Advanced.

2) Select Codes.

3) Click on the Next Codes button and in the dialogue box that opens, you can enter the starting code number in the field called Next Global Invoice Code (in my case, it was 220). This is a bit like forcing Word to start numbering pages at something other than 1.

4) Go back to Codes. In the Global Invoice Codes section, there's a field underneath called Prefix, which is where you can specify your code (SBM/ in my case).

That's it. Providing that the right code is being used in the invoice template (I think it's \INVOICE_GLOBAL_CODE\), it should work - well, it did for me!

If that doesn't work and you want to manually specify an invoice code each time, one solution might be to delete the above code from the invoice template and then add you own one afterwards once you've saved the invoice - a bit tedious, but it might work.

HTH,

Simon
Collapse

Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Australia
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 20, 2008

Thank you both for your suggestions.

Simon, one question regarding your proposal: If I manage to change the global code, will that not mean that each customer's invoice number will follow on from that code, e.g. global code 020 means the next invoice will be SMITHTRANS021, then MILLERTRANS022, etc.?
It's just that I don't use global invoice codes but customer specific ones, say I want the next invoice to be called SMITHTRANS014 and the following one MILLERTRANS005.

... See more
Thank you both for your suggestions.

Simon, one question regarding your proposal: If I manage to change the global code, will that not mean that each customer's invoice number will follow on from that code, e.g. global code 020 means the next invoice will be SMITHTRANS021, then MILLERTRANS022, etc.?
It's just that I don't use global invoice codes but customer specific ones, say I want the next invoice to be called SMITHTRANS014 and the following one MILLERTRANS005.

Balasubramaniam, I tried your suggestion but when I go back to create a client's invoice it again comes up with "Code: Auto" and "Global Code: Auto". This is driving me nuts!

I'm starting to think that all possible solutions are too cumbersome to effectively use TO3000 V.8 without spending ten minutes reconfiguring invoice settings after each job. Maybe I should just start a dual invoicing system and keep manually assigning my invoice numbers and then start a spreadsheet tieing them in with the TO3000 invoice numbers but surely that defeats the whole point of using TO3000 in the first place.

I've just logged a support ticket with TO3000 and will let you know what the official reply is.
Collapse

Simon Mountifield
Simon Mountifield  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:13
French to English
Defeated Apr 21, 2008

Oh yes, I see what you mean about customer-specific codes. I don't think my solution would work in your case. It's OK for global invoice codes, but you'd end up with a numbering problem if you use different codes for each customer. You could enter the codes manually in the invoices, but as you quite rightly say, it defeats the whole point of using TO3000. There might be a way if you create a specific invoice template for each customer where you could specify the code (such as MILLERTRANS+number ... See more
Oh yes, I see what you mean about customer-specific codes. I don't think my solution would work in your case. It's OK for global invoice codes, but you'd end up with a numbering problem if you use different codes for each customer. You could enter the codes manually in the invoices, but as you quite rightly say, it defeats the whole point of using TO3000. There might be a way if you create a specific invoice template for each customer where you could specify the code (such as MILLERTRANS+number or SMITHTRANS+number). You could then select the appropriate template in the "RTF Templates" field of the "Invoices" tab, but then you'd need to create a macro or something to automatically increment the invoice number by one each time (which goes way beyond my humble computing skills).

I'd be curious to see what the official response is.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Simon
Collapse

Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Australia
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Official response Apr 21, 2008

Hi Simon,

The official response was:

"Both global invoice code and client specific invoice code can be deposed only in increasing direction, using next code options. Unfortunately codes can not be rolled back.

To set next global invoice code, please, go to Settings > Advanced > Codes > Next codes and manually type code number into appropriate field."

So it looks like I will need to continue with my manual system and write off the money spent on
... See more
Hi Simon,

The official response was:

"Both global invoice code and client specific invoice code can be deposed only in increasing direction, using next code options. Unfortunately codes can not be rolled back.

To set next global invoice code, please, go to Settings > Advanced > Codes > Next codes and manually type code number into appropriate field."

So it looks like I will need to continue with my manual system and write off the money spent on TO3000, or start from scratch with a completely new invoicing system.

As you can imagine I'm not a happy camper!

Anyway, thanks for your input, at least we learned something new again hey.

Nicole
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to overwrite automatic invoice codes in Translation Office 3000?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »