投稿者: Williamson
Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:29
英語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
Auto- and not so autosugesstions Jun 15, 2009

[/quote]

The difference is that in MemoQ you do not have to prepare the entries beforehand from a large database of past translations, but it gives suggestions from real-time updated TM. In other words, you can get suggestions from the project you are currently working on, where they are most likely to be found... [/quote]

The only thing in MemoQ is that you always have to keep an eye on the Translation results pane, which is disturbing the translation flow. Sugg
... See more
[/quote]

The difference is that in MemoQ you do not have to prepare the entries beforehand from a large database of past translations, but it gives suggestions from real-time updated TM. In other words, you can get suggestions from the project you are currently working on, where they are most likely to be found... [/quote]

The only thing in MemoQ is that you always have to keep an eye on the Translation results pane, which is disturbing the translation flow. Suggestions in the target field would be nice. Also scrolling down for results is time consuming. MemoQ has indeed the potential to become the better Trados.

Regards

Noe

Lucky me that I didn't upgrade. Some colleagues said all bugs will be eliminated in the beta phase with the help of experienced users (hihi like me).
Collapse

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
ポーランド
2004に入会
ドイツ語 から ポーランド語
+ ...
Recently received from a client, Jun 15, 2009

[quote]Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Celine H wrote:

My conclusion: Great agencies will not buy it.

one of the main suppliers in Europe:

This note is to provide YYY suppliers with guidance regarding the use of SDL Trados Studio 2009 on translation jobs from YYY. SDL Trados 2009 Studio was released earlier today.

YYY processing will continue to be based on the SDL Trados 2007 platform. This means that we will continue to send TTX files and to make translation memory available in TMW format or the SDL Trados 2007 text export format. There are no current plans to change to SDL Trados Studio 2009. YYY processes do not currently support SDL Trados Studio 2009.

At this time we require suppliers to continue to use existing SDL Trados versions (2006 (7.X) or 2007 ), when translating YYY jobs.

Regards

A.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
ペルー
Local time: 00:29
メンバー
スペイン語
+ ...
What's the point then? Jun 15, 2009

Noe Tessmann wrote:

The only thing in MemoQ is that you always have to keep an eye on the Translation results pane, which is disturbing the translation flow. Suggestions in the target field would be nice. Also scrolling down for results is time consuming. MemoQ has indeed the potential to become the better Trados.

What's the point then? That would be a concordance result, wouldn't it?. The reason why AutoSuggestion is such a great feature is because the results are presented in real time, in the target language. So the first letter triggers the AutoSuggestion term or terms and it can just be inserted with one or two keystrokes. If the AutoSuggestion dictionaries are good enough, which is my case, the results are very accurate most of the times.

Rod Walters
Rod Walters  Identity Verified
日本
Local time: 14:29
日本語 から 英語
Not so difficult in fact Jun 15, 2009

Claudia, Auto-suggest in MemoQ isn't really a problem. It's one of several options in a pane at the right of the window. You can easily transfer the result to the translation window. It might be nice if there were an option to have it transferred automatically, if that's your favourite workflow.

If several people ask for it, and Kilgray see nothing wrong with the idea in principle, I'm sure they would work quickly to implement it.

But even as it stands, it's a very use
... See more
Claudia, Auto-suggest in MemoQ isn't really a problem. It's one of several options in a pane at the right of the window. You can easily transfer the result to the translation window. It might be nice if there were an option to have it transferred automatically, if that's your favourite workflow.

If several people ask for it, and Kilgray see nothing wrong with the idea in principle, I'm sure they would work quickly to implement it.

But even as it stands, it's a very useful and effective feature. And not a separate module that can be charged for at an optional price for marketing purposes!
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
ポルトガル
Local time: 06:29
ドイツ語 から 英語
+ ...
The purple autoassemble item Jun 15, 2009

Rod Walters wrote:

But even as it stands, it's a very useful and effective feature. And not a separate module that can be charged for at an optional price for marketing purposes!

Essentially the only difference between MemoQ and DVX in this regard is that DVX's autoassemble automatically dumps everything in the target field, and I have to use a keystroke to do this in MemoQ. However, on the whole the MemoQ approach is a bit more efficient for me. Much of the time it actually slows me down in DVX to overwrite useless assembled text, and the keyboard inserts of terms & phrases are faster.

Still, you're right Rod - it would be very easy to implement an auto-insertion of the assembled MemoQ chunk (the purple-marked item). Ora t least always make it Ctrl+0 or something like that.

I would also like to see an option to sort the term/phrase hits by occurrence order rather than alphabetically, maybe with a hotkey to switch between sort modes. And with the autoassembled item always on top of the list.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
ラトビア
Local time: 08:29
2003に入会
英語 から ラトヴィア語
+ ...
An Agency view Jun 15, 2009

Basically we can do all that is expected from us as an Agency (proofreading, TM export, database creation) in older Trados versions (though we have 7th, but we also have learned to overcame compatibility issues with earlier versions- believe me- there are yet some translators working with version 5).

However, for any practical reason of file management, Trados already for some time has not a monopoly status - there are out at least 20 other softs allowing perfect management of Trado
... See more
Basically we can do all that is expected from us as an Agency (proofreading, TM export, database creation) in older Trados versions (though we have 7th, but we also have learned to overcame compatibility issues with earlier versions- believe me- there are yet some translators working with version 5).

However, for any practical reason of file management, Trados already for some time has not a monopoly status - there are out at least 20 other softs allowing perfect management of Trados compatible files (and they do not cost a fortune and some of them are freeware). So we sure do not intend to buy Studio 9 now or ever.

Of course, this is just an Agency view- as we do not do the actual translations inhouse, we just need to proof and verify files before delivery, so I cannot judge the real advantages of Studio 2009 in the real translation process. However, I very much doubt improvements there are cost compatible with other, much more democratic CAT tools (to mention just a few- MemoQ and Cafetrans).

Uldis
Collapse

Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
英語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
Sort of concordance search Jun 16, 2009

Claudia Alvis wrote:

What's the point then? That would be a concordance result, wouldn't it?. The reason why AutoSuggestion is such a great feature is because the results are presented in real time, in the target language. So the first letter triggers the AutoSuggestion term or terms and it can just be inserted with one or two keystrokes. If the AutoSuggestion dictionaries are good enough, which is my case, the results are very accurate most of the times.

Hello Claudia,

it's some sort of concordance search. It shows you subsegment hits in a separate results pan. Some of them you can insert with a keystroke (CTRL + Number) and with others (multiple choices) you have to open the concordance search and you can insert the selected part into your target field.

It seems to be more up-to-date since the results come directly from the active TMs and IMO more efficient. As I already mentioned in another thread Studio never came up with a suggestion for p.e. "professional and managerial staff" although it was all over the text and plenty of times in the TM from which the autosuggest dic was created.

If I understand it right Studio comes up with a suggestion if you start your phrase in the right way otherwise it remains silent? Matching subsegments will never be an exact science, so it'll always suggest just a fraction of what is in your TM. The rest you have to look up with concordance search anyway. MemoQ gives you directly a big percentage of all possible subsegment matches in a results pane.

Regards

Noe

@Kevin

I don't know if dumping autoassemble by a single keystroke is the the solution. MemoQ says that's what you can have by pretranslating your text. I am missing the auto-insertion of fuzzy matches from the TM and better showing the differences like Trados and Wf. The Studio approach of getting suggestions as you go is not a bad thing by itself.

[Edited at 2009-06-16 08:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-06-16 08:11 GMT]

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
英国
Local time: 06:29
フラマン語 から 英語
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Babylon 7.0 Jun 17, 2009

Claudia Alvis wrote:

Noe Tessmann wrote:

Churn out another 200$ extra for 1 feature. Why don't they add a manual: how to suck money out of peoples' pockets? Total about 1000 $ for one software package. Don't forget training and Trados certification + version 2011 in 2 years from now with "new" revolutionary features and early birds.
Babylon 7.0 does not cost 200 $ extra and has an autosuggestion feature too. That is probably where Trados got the mustard. Pdf transformer by Abbyy has been on the market for a long time and some versions of Office2007 (Pro?) have the pdf transformation feature too. Acrobat 9.0 saves files as rtf.

[Edited at 2009-06-17 13:20 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Natalie[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados studio 2009: buy or wait....

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »