Alternative to Translation Office 3000?
Thread poster: Brian Jones (X)
Brian Jones (X)
Brian Jones (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:47
French to English
Nov 5, 2009

First, I must say that I did enjoy using version 7 of Translation Office for about two years. I especially liked how it handled project folder structures. Then I switched to Mac. There is no Mac version of this software. In addition, there is a security feature that does not allow this software to run on a virtual PC on the Mac. I've been using MacFreelance for the past two years, and it just doesn't do what I want it to do. Does anyone know of any open-source, online, or Mac software that w... See more
First, I must say that I did enjoy using version 7 of Translation Office for about two years. I especially liked how it handled project folder structures. Then I switched to Mac. There is no Mac version of this software. In addition, there is a security feature that does not allow this software to run on a virtual PC on the Mac. I've been using MacFreelance for the past two years, and it just doesn't do what I want it to do. Does anyone know of any open-source, online, or Mac software that would be similar to Translation Office? Yes, I know that I could use QuickBooks or even the new Proz billing feature, but I really want to integrate billing with the folder structures and management interface provided by TO. Please also keep in mind that I am just a single freelancer. Therefore, I don't need something extravagant or expensive. Thanks!Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:47
English to French
+ ...
Zoho Apps and other web services Nov 6, 2009

I think you should look into the possibility of using a web service for your invoicing.

Here is a link to some invoicing web services for freelancers: http://www.lifehack.org/articles/money/invoicing-web-20-style-a-quick-guide-to-your-options.html

However, I think the best thing to do is to use Zoho apps (you can si
... See more
I think you should look into the possibility of using a web service for your invoicing.

Here is a link to some invoicing web services for freelancers: http://www.lifehack.org/articles/money/invoicing-web-20-style-a-quick-guide-to-your-options.html

However, I think the best thing to do is to use Zoho apps (you can sign up free at zoho.com). Zoho Apps basically allows you to create an online application based on your own criteria. You can use it to enter data and you can then create reports of the data. I believe it would be fairly easy to create an invoice form that you can fill in, a list of clients, etc. The only thing I think you will need besides this is a local invoice template to create the actual invoice to send to your client. Well, this should be feasible even in Zoho Apps, but you wouldn't be able to customize the look of it as much as with your favorite word processor.

If you do check out Zoho, also take a look at the othe services they offer. Zoho Office brings together most of their services under one neat interface. I find it all very useful (Zoho CRM, for instance, is great for creating and maintaining lists of prospects for marketing your services).

All the best!
Collapse

Thomas Dihrberg
Thomas Dihrberg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:47
Spanish to German
+ ...
T.O.M Nov 6, 2009

Hi Brian,

i wouldn´t recommend a webservice for invoicing as this data is highly sensible and shouldn´t be exposed to third parties. I know, everybody will say that they have high security levels, etc., but even the person working for this webservice will have access...
I´m working with T.O.M. Software from Jovosoft and I´m very happy as I save a lot of time. Maybe you can check out on their web if it will work with MAC.

rgds from Spain,

Thomas

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Alternative to Translation Office 3000? Nov 6, 2009

Brian Jones wrote:

First, I must say that I did enjoy using version 7 of Translation Office for about two years. I especially liked how it handled project folder structures. Then I switched to Mac. There is no Mac version of this software. In addition, there is a security feature that does not allow this software to run on a virtual PC on the Mac. I've been using MacFreelance for the past two years, and it just doesn't do what I want it to do. Does anyone know of any open-source, online, or Mac software that would be similar to Translation Office? Yes, I know that I could use QuickBooks or even the new Proz billing feature, but I really want to integrate billing with the folder structures and management interface provided by TO. Please also keep in mind that I am just a single freelancer. Therefore, I don't need something extravagant or expensive. Thanks!

I am not very sure, but did you think about tryng to use TO3000 with tools like VMvare Fusion or alike?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-11-06 15:07 GMT]

Brian Jones (X)
Brian Jones (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:47
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
TO3000 will not run on VMWare Nov 6, 2009

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

I am not very sure, but did you think about tryng to use TO3000 with tools like VMvare Fusion or alike?

I have been using VMWare Fusion on my Mac for two years. The developer of TO3000 specifically told me that there is a security feature that will not allow the program to run on a virtual machine. That makes absolutely no sense to me, and I have never had that issue with any other software.

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Alternative to Translation Office 3000?" Nov 6, 2009

Brian Jones wrote:

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

I have been using VMWare Fusion on my Mac for two years. The developer of TO3000 specifically told me that there is a security feature that will not allow the program to run on a virtual machine. That makes absolutely no sense to me, and I have never had that issue with any other software.

Hi, Brian: Good to know. Thanks for share this information.
In my humble opinion, if you have paid for this software, the logical thing is that you could use it where do you want . At least, that the contract specifies the opposite...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alternative to Translation Office 3000?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »