Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
États-Unis
Local time: 04:13
Membre (2002)
anglais vers espagnol
+ ...
Sep 8, 2011

Dear all

I recentley downloaded the demo version of Translation Office 3000. I've already created a couple of clients. Nevertheless, I'm not sure about the difference of "projects" and "jobs". Could someone explain?

Besides, I have entered five clients in the database: CLIENT1, CLIENT2, CLIENT3, and so on. Next I select create a "new job" and the new job wizard opens. Only two clients are shown. (At the upper right corner, a text box reads: "clients in database 5" "cli
... See more
Dear all

I recentley downloaded the demo version of Translation Office 3000. I've already created a couple of clients. Nevertheless, I'm not sure about the difference of "projects" and "jobs". Could someone explain?

Besides, I have entered five clients in the database: CLIENT1, CLIENT2, CLIENT3, and so on. Next I select create a "new job" and the new job wizard opens. Only two clients are shown. (At the upper right corner, a text box reads: "clients in database 5" "clients displayed 2". Why?

Thanks

Clarisa
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
États-Unis
Local time: 05:13
anglais vers français
+ ...
That's why I gave up Sep 8, 2011

That is one of the reasons I gave up on the demo, but I have to admit that I did not research the documentation too much.

That application is not intuitive at all.

Clarisa Moraña
États-Unis
Membre (2002)
anglais vers espagnol
+ ...
AUTEUR DU FIL
Difference found! Sep 8, 2011

As part of the TO3000 provided documentation at http://www.to3000.com/Documentation/TO3000_FAQ.pdf

I quote:

"3.4 What is the difference between project and job?
Project is a group of jobs, and usually corresponds to client’s purchase order (which may include a number of jobs). Client job represents certain amount of work (words, pages, hours and so on),
... See more
As part of the TO3000 provided documentation at http://www.to3000.com/Documentation/TO3000_FAQ.pdf

I quote:

"3.4 What is the difference between project and job?
Project is a group of jobs, and usually corresponds to client’s purchase order (which may include a number of jobs). Client job represents certain amount of work (words, pages, hours and so on), done while performing certain service type (translating, proofreading and so on), at certain rate.
For example, client sent you a document to translate. Translation includes translating, proofreading and DTP services, which will naturally have different rates. These three services become the three client jobs within one project, all three related to single document and a single client purchase order."

Anyway, I would appreciate further examples of use.

Thanks

Clarisa
Collapse

Frank van Thienen (X)
Frank van Thienen (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:13
néerlandais vers anglais
group of jobs Sep 9, 2011

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

Project is a group of jobs

Indeed it is. How you handle this will depend on your clients, the way they order from you, the way you invoice at the end of a job (or project), etc.

99% of my jobs are little jobs, one assignment for each, in which case I create a project, then create a job within that project, mark both as completed when done, and prepare the invoice.

Some jobs, or projects, are more complex and you may indeed need to create several jobs within a single project.

It may seem a bit cumbersome at first, but once you get used to it, creating a project and jobs within projects is a matter of a minute or so. What is somewhat time-consuming is setting up your units and unit pricing, modify the invoice template(s) the way you want.

I consider myself a spreadsheet wizard, but my home-made spreadsheets to keep track of projects and bookkeeping didn't provide the ease of bookkeeping I'm experiencing now with TO3000. I wish TO had a bit more in the way of productivity tracking, so for that I still maintain a spreadsheet.

HTH,
Frank

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Espagne
Local time: 11:13
Membre (2004)
espagnol vers anglais
monthly projects Sep 9, 2011

I create a monthly project for each client. Any jobs that I receive from one particular client goes into the corresponding monthly project.
So I may have 10-20 jobs for regular clients in their projects by the end of the month. But a one-off client will only have one job in his project.
It makes invoicing very easy at the end of the month.

I believe the project/job set-up may be optional in the next version of TO. There i
... See more
I create a monthly project for each client. Any jobs that I receive from one particular client goes into the corresponding monthly project.
So I may have 10-20 jobs for regular clients in their projects by the end of the month. But a one-off client will only have one job in his project.
It makes invoicing very easy at the end of the month.

I believe the project/job set-up may be optional in the next version of TO. There is a very interesting discussion here: http://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/202627-suggestions_for_translation_office_3000_to3000_version_10-page5.html

Re: why you only see 2 clients when you want to create a new job.
Well, new jobs can only be created once you have set up a project, so probably you have only created 2 projects so far for your 5 clients.
Collapse

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
Royaume-Uni
Local time: 10:13
Membre (2004)
anglais vers letton/lette
+ ...
The reason I gave up on TO Sep 9, 2011

Projects and job were the reason I gave up on TO altogether. I was very happy with the previous versions where you entered each job separately and then they changed it and I could no longer use the programme. They will probably revert back to normal system in their next upgrade but since I paid for the upgrade which made me stop using TO, I doubt I will pay again for another upgrade.

Clarisa Moraña
États-Unis
Membre (2002)
anglais vers espagnol
+ ...
AUTEUR DU FIL
I believe I will use TO3000 a lot Sep 9, 2011

Dear all

Thanks for your replies (and for changing the thread location). All of them are very valuable-

I've 20 more days for testing the tool and I want to learn to use properly. To do that, I'm reading the help file and watching the video here at proz (the bad thing is that my Internet provider is not very good, and I have had no time for watching it all).
Emma's suggestion of one month project containing all the small jobs coming from one single client fits t
... See more
Dear all

Thanks for your replies (and for changing the thread location). All of them are very valuable-

I've 20 more days for testing the tool and I want to learn to use properly. To do that, I'm reading the help file and watching the video here at proz (the bad thing is that my Internet provider is not very good, and I have had no time for watching it all).
Emma's suggestion of one month project containing all the small jobs coming from one single client fits to one of my clients. I have also other clients that might need one project/one job scheme... Some of my clients request invoices inmediatly after the translation is delivered, and I always forget to do so. I believe the PM might be tired of her reminders, "please, deliver your invoice ASAP to close the job".
If at the end of the month, the tool works for me, I will consider its purchase.

Dear Burrel, you said you could not longer use the programme. Didn't you had the option to use the old version? The one you were using earlier?

Emma, before reading your reply, I also suspected that I could not create any new job because I had only created two projects for two clients. I created a new project for a third client, and thus the new job for such client could be created. So you (and I) were right. That was the reason.

Have a great day

Clarisa
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Differences between "Job" and "Project" at T03000

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »