Thread poster: Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
Local time: 15:37
French to English
+ ...
Sorry, it's quite the opposite in my book - er, TM Jun 7, 2012

In my translation experience, I have learned so much that when I come across work that I did years ago I want to erase it all and write it over again.

My TM content is getting better every day, and that is exactly how I can judge the worth of my experience.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Theory vs. real life Jun 8, 2012

verslanglais wrote:

My TM content is getting better every day, and that is exactly how I can judge the worth of my experience.

My, I, my, I, my ... And what about John Doe and Jane Roe?

How can a client be sure that you are not Vanessa IjustExchangeWordsUsingAdictionary?

Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
+ ...
I don't share a general TM with any client Jun 9, 2012

If a client requires part of a TM, it is essential that this be requested in advance. If there is no such mention when a job is ordered, I save the translation to one big TM according to the language variant (US or GB) and keep it for myself. If the client specifically wants their work to be on a TM to be shared or archived, I'll save it to a new TM (or use their existing TM).

I am using first-person pronouns because I am talking about my experience. I can't speak for John Doe or a
... See more
If a client requires part of a TM, it is essential that this be requested in advance. If there is no such mention when a job is ordered, I save the translation to one big TM according to the language variant (US or GB) and keep it for myself. If the client specifically wants their work to be on a TM to be shared or archived, I'll save it to a new TM (or use their existing TM).

I am using first-person pronouns because I am talking about my experience. I can't speak for John Doe or anyone else.

It goes without saying that even with a prolific TM you can't just replace one word for another. Personally I handle marketing texts, where sentence structure is all-important and my clients are very demanding. I wouldn't have gotten a foot in the door if my work hadn't been up to speed. But I digress.

All this is to say that the volume of a TM, as the concept exists today, cannot vouch for experience. For those of you who have not made use of the IATE's on-line TM, you can download it to jump-start your own TM. I found this useful when beginning with Trados Studio. The content is not very reliable -- context is everything -- but the sheer volume will enable your TM to be activated much more quickly than if you were just working alone. (Many people don't realize that a TM must include a certain number of translation units just to start recognizing segments.)

For those of you who are interested, you'll find free TMs on the following website: http://ec.europa.eu/translation/english/guidelines/en_guidelines_en.htm

[Edited at 2012-06-09 09:51 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Use a real percentage comparison to choose the right translator

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »