Error messages when trying to view target word doc, trial version of Trados
Thread poster: Bryce Bray
Bryce Bray
Bryce Bray
United States
Jul 5, 2021

Hello,

I am close to finishing a translation using Trados version 16.0.1.2917. It is the one-month trial version.

I wanted to see if I could actually open the document I have been working on but I get an error message with three different problems.

- check file or unit permissions
- check if enough free memory or disk space
- open the file with Text Recovery converter

Is this because I have not finalized the translation?

... See more
Hello,

I am close to finishing a translation using Trados version 16.0.1.2917. It is the one-month trial version.

I wanted to see if I could actually open the document I have been working on but I get an error message with three different problems.

- check file or unit permissions
- check if enough free memory or disk space

Is this because I have not finalized the translation?

The file name is still the same as the source file, so maybe it was set to read only. Could this be the problem? Not sure how to change this from within trados.

Or is this a problem due to the trial version?

Thanks, I have two days left of the trial version, so I appreciate your help. If I can't figure this out, then I probably won't be sticking with trados, seems like a pain.

Bryce
Collapse

Mair A-W (PhD)
Mair A-W (PhD)
Germany
Local time: 20:37
German to English
+ ...
Tags? Jul 5, 2021

Do I understand correctly: you have used "Generate Target Translations" to create the target document, and are having trouble opening it in ?Word?

Can you open the source document successfully? If so, there may be a problem with tags in the target document. Run the tag checker (Review -> Quality Assurance) in Trados and make sure you have transferred all the tags to the target document and do not have any ghost tags.

... did you try this?

Bryce Bray
Bryce Bray
United States
TOPIC STARTER
still not opening, but fixed ghost tags and spacings Jul 5, 2021

Hi Mair,

Thanks for this. That was indeed a problem, but I still get the same message upon trying to open the word document.

I ignored three instances where tag order was changed and fixed a few spaces before tags and several ghost tags.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again,

Bryce

Bryce Bray
Bryce Bray
United States
TOPIC STARTER
docx vs doc Jul 5, 2021

do you think it has to do with it being docx vs doc?

I found this:
https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/studio/13573/cannot-open-target-file/47928#47928

I will try this out and see

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error messages when trying to view target word doc, trial version of Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »