Thread poster: Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:55
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Jul 16, 2022

I am working on an 8,000-plus segment file in Studio 2019 SR2. By my standards this is an unusually large file. I have many 100% matches. After confirming such a match, Studio will often throw up a "Auto-propagating translation" notice. This takes several seconds.

Is there a way around this, or a better approach? I do want propagation, of course, but it's also slowing me down.

Regards,
Dan

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
"Options" Jul 16, 2022

I believe you need to go to "File", select "Options" and set "Never - always auto-propagate translations without prompting user".
Please check if your settings are similar to these:

Capturar

That way, I think you can avoid that prompt that makes you slow down your translation.
I hope it helps!

Stepan Konev
Dan Lucas
Sebastian Witte

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
All or nothing Jul 17, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:
That way, I think you can avoid that prompt that makes you slow down your translation.
I hope it helps!

Thank you for that expressis. Having experimented a bit, I realise that I am being unrealistic in my expectations. What I really want is a kind of background auto-propagation that doesn't steal the focus, which I guess isn't going to happen until Studio becomes properly multi-threaded. The current settings seem to be, essentially, an on/off switch.

I have been able to reduce the impact by bulk-copying the many segments that consist of numbers and confirming them en masse. This works to an extent, and for certain very simple strings, but it still leaves me with a lot to do. Oh well. Onwards and upwards.

Regards,
Dan

expressisverbis

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:55
English to Russian
Regex Jul 17, 2022

Probably you know that but just in case... You can use regex like ^[\d.]+$ for segments that only contain numbers with dots.
Or something like this:
^\P{L}*\d\P{L}*$
or even this
^\P{L}*\d\P{L}* .+$
When I work with bigger projects, I always begin with these regular expressions to find, handle and lock all such short/number-only segments.

expressisverbis
Dan Lucas

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Good approach Jul 17, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:
Probably you know that but just in case... You can use regex like ^[\d.]+$ for segments that only contain numbers with dots.

Thank you Stepan, I do something similar for numbers with commas - don't tend to get that many decimals, but will certainly give this a go.

Dan

[Edited at 2022-07-17 20:27 GMT]

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Always a great help Jul 19, 2022

A valuable help from Stepan, and not underestimating other colleagues.
Thanks to everyone who helps us with the "problems" we encounter with our CAT tools on a daily basis.

Dan Lucas

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yeah Jul 19, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:
A valuable help from Stepan, and not underestimating other colleagues.

Agreed, Step's the man.

Dan

expressisverbis

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:55
English to Russian
Thank you :D Jul 19, 2022

Just my googling skill

expressisverbis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Delaying / pausing auto-propagation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »