Exporting comments to Excel (Trados 2021)
Thread poster: Sarah Gregg
Sarah Gregg
Sarah Gregg
Italy
Local time: 15:11
Italian to English
+ ...
Aug 15, 2022

In the past I often used the excellent Capybara Comment View plugin to export comments to Excel for review by the client. I am now working on a document with nearly 100 comments I need to send to the client and I find to my horror that the plugin is not compatible with Trados 2021 (or so it seems). Does anyone know another way to export the comments to Excel (or Word)? The idea of extracting/copying/pasting them "by hand" fills me with dread ... See more
In the past I often used the excellent Capybara Comment View plugin to export comments to Excel for review by the client. I am now working on a document with nearly 100 comments I need to send to the client and I find to my horror that the plugin is not compatible with Trados 2021 (or so it seems). Does anyone know another way to export the comments to Excel (or Word)? The idea of extracting/copying/pasting them "by hand" fills me with dread . Many thanks in advance.Collapse

Hung Mai
Hung Mai
Vietnam
Local time: 20:11
English to Vietnamese
Try "Export for Bilingual Review" option in Batch Task Aug 15, 2022

I can use the "Export for Bilingual Review" option in Batch Task to extract a bilingual Word file with comments in Trados 2017, guess it's the same in Trados 2022. You can find Batch Task in the ribbon in Files or Editor pane, or when you right click on the needed file(s) in Files pane.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
CafeTran Aug 15, 2022

Open the files in CafeTran. From the Project menu choose Export, Bilingual with notes.

Sarah Gregg
Sarah Gregg
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Aug 15, 2022

Thanks to you both for your replies, but perhaps I didn't explain myself clearly in my original question. I know you can export the text with the comments, but what I need to do is to export JUST the comments together with their context (segment no. source segment, destination segment, comment) into an Excel file to send to the client WITHOUT the text... exactly as with the excellent and sorely-missed Comment View plugin.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
That’s possible Aug 15, 2022

Just filter on segments with notes before you export to a docx table.

Sarah Gregg
Sarah Gregg
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CafeTran Aug 15, 2022

CafeTran sounds interesting, I'll certainly give it a try. Thanks.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:11
English to Russian
Export to Excel (exports the output.xlsx to the project/target language folder) Aug 15, 2022

You can use this Export to Excel plugin. This is a batch task that you can configure to export only comments by ticking the relevant checkboxes:

... See more
You can use this Export to Excel plugin. This is a batch task that you can configure to export only comments by ticking the relevant checkboxes:

If you can't download it from the RWS Appstore site, you have to setup a Private Appstore with your version. Even if you can [download plugins from the Appstore], you'd still better set up it because it allows you to download and install plugins that are currently not available from the Appstore.
Collapse

Sarah Gregg
Sarah Gregg
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Export to Excel does it Aug 15, 2022

Thanks Stepan, I've installed the plugin and it seems to be pretty well what I need.

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:11
English to Russian
Update: don't tick the 'Exclude segment categories' Aug 15, 2022

I assumed that ticking them all will export comments only, but I was wrong with my assumption. You have to export all, unless you know it for sure that you can exclude some types of segments, and then filter the output Excel file by the column D contents (Comments text).

*The o
... See more
I assumed that ticking them all will export comments only, but I was wrong with my assumption. You have to export all, unless you know it for sure that you can exclude some types of segments, and then filter the output Excel file by the column D contents (Comments text).

*The output Excel file may be protected. If the filtering feature is not active for you, go to the Review tab and click 'Unprotect Sheet'.

[Edited at 2022-08-15 11:39 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exporting comments to Excel (Trados 2021)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »