How to use Trados pretranslated files with different colours?
Thread poster: Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:16
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Dec 14, 2005

Hello,
One of my clients has sent me two Word docs: one is the original version of the file to be translated, the other is a Word file that has been pretranslated in Trados and has different colours.

The original text is now green.
All new, no match text is now in black.
All fuzzy match text is now red.
All text for 100% matches is now blue.

My question is, what is the best way of using this pretranslated file? My client (incorrectly) told me to
... See more
Hello,
One of my clients has sent me two Word docs: one is the original version of the file to be translated, the other is a Word file that has been pretranslated in Trados and has different colours.

The original text is now green.
All new, no match text is now in black.
All fuzzy match text is now red.
All text for 100% matches is now blue.

My question is, what is the best way of using this pretranslated file? My client (incorrectly) told me to just clean up the pretranslated file to update my memory, but obviously this has added all the different colours to the TM. Not only that, the TM now thinks that the untranslated text in black is now the correct translation, when in actual fact it's identical to the original text.

How can I use the pretranslated file in an efficient way? At the moment, I can only think that I have to keep switching between the two files (the "virgin" file and the pretranslated file).

Thanks in advance,

Joanne
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 08:16
English to Czech
+ ...
How to use Trados pretranslated files with different colours? Dec 14, 2005

You should work with the pretranslated file and:
- translate the black text,
- edit the red text,
- keep (proofread) the blue text.

Also, you should set the same colours in Trados (Options - Translated Text Colours), so that the colours are not added to your TM. (I hope I'm correct with this.)

You are right, cleaning the whole pretranslated file into TM is not a good idea. You might clean up the blue segments only to have some segments in the TM to beg
... See more
You should work with the pretranslated file and:
- translate the black text,
- edit the red text,
- keep (proofread) the blue text.

Also, you should set the same colours in Trados (Options - Translated Text Colours), so that the colours are not added to your TM. (I hope I'm correct with this.)

You are right, cleaning the whole pretranslated file into TM is not a good idea. You might clean up the blue segments only to have some segments in the TM to begin with.

BUT: The best would be if the client sent you their TM and you started with the original file.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to use Trados pretranslated files with different colours?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »