Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:51
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Which version of Multiterm? Feb 23, 2006

Did you try to enter terms from Word or other software or directly in Multiterm?

Regards
Jerzy

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I suppose it must be Version 7 Feb 23, 2006

[Edited at 2006-03-11 21:09]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Please be more specific... Feb 23, 2006

Hi Astrid,
As Jerzy correctly pointed out, it's vital to indicate which version you're using (hence the notice in red that is displayed when you're posting a new topic...).

The full version number is displayed in the software (go to Help - About - this is where you will find version info for virtually all Windows applications).

I suppose there's no way of mending this cumbersome piece of expensive software once it breaks?

How much did you pay for MultiTerm, then?
Seriously: I don't think you can 'break' the software.

I cannot make any new entries into my termbases, because the form to type the entries into no longer appears.

Which is a user-defined form called an input model. What happens if you select the default input model?

It always did take a long time, with each individual entry, before the "Applet controller" started up, that made the form appear. In the past few days it would not work any more until I re-booted the computer, which is usually terribly inconvenient, as start-up is so interminably slow and it takes up to half an hour to get everything going again, and now, even on re-boot, the Applet controller will not start.

TBH this sounds like the problem lies with your system rather than with MultiTerm... what operating system are you using? Which system gave you the message about an applet controller? Are you using firewall software?

A Windows XP system should not take much more than a minute to start up...

I did not have all that many entries in these termbases yet, so they can't exactly be overloaded, but I guess it's just my tough luck that it broke at such an early stage - or is there a possible way to fix it, without going to the expense of buying it all over again?

Why would you need to buy it again? Assuming there's something wrong with the installation (and we haven't ascertained that yet), why couldn't you reinstall?

Best regards,
Ralf

Richard Hall
Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:51
Italian to English
+ ...
Try reinstalling Feb 23, 2006

I recently had the same experience. To fix it, I uninstalled both Multiterm and Workbench, trashed the multiterm and workbench templates in the word start-up folder and then reinstalled everything. It now works perfectly. Note that I had previously tried a repair reinstall from "add and remove program control panel" and that did not work. The reinstall may also work for your.

Take heart, this is a typical experience with Trados and there always seems to be a fairly straight forward
... See more
I recently had the same experience. To fix it, I uninstalled both Multiterm and Workbench, trashed the multiterm and workbench templates in the word start-up folder and then reinstalled everything. It now works perfectly. Note that I had previously tried a repair reinstall from "add and remove program control panel" and that did not work. The reinstall may also work for your.

Take heart, this is a typical experience with Trados and there always seems to be a fairly straight forward solution.
Collapse

Fred Neild (X)
Fred Neild (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Reinstalling Feb 23, 2006

Hi Astrid,

Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling?

HTH
Fred

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please try to do the following steps Feb 23, 2006

I assume you know where your termbank has been saved. Make a backup copy of it.

Go to Start - Control Panel - Software, look for Multiterm and uninstall it.
Restart your PC.
Reinstall MT again.
Go to the program folder of MT (usually: c:\progam files\trados\multiterm) and double click on "#_SelfRegister.bat"
Should this not help, go to Start and point to "Run a program" (this is the lowest item on the right side - I have only a German Windows). Put "regedit"
... See more
I assume you know where your termbank has been saved. Make a backup copy of it.

Go to Start - Control Panel - Software, look for Multiterm and uninstall it.
Restart your PC.
Reinstall MT again.
Go to the program folder of MT (usually: c:\progam files\trados\multiterm) and double click on "#_SelfRegister.bat"
Should this not help, go to Start and point to "Run a program" (this is the lowest item on the right side - I have only a German Windows). Put "regedit" in there and press OK. You will now go to Registry Editor. Please be carefull when using it, as you may damage your system badly, if making inapropriate changes.
Press the plus-sign beside HKEY_CURRENT_USER. This opens the tree. Scroll down t Trados and press the plus sign beside it.
With the right mouse button click on Multierm and select "rename". Place any character before the word Multiterm, so then it reads for example XMultiterm.
Restart your system. Start MT - it should now rebuild this entry and work properly. If it doesn´t, so I don´t know any solution for you.

HTH
Jerzy
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all the advice Feb 23, 2006

I will try some of these suggestions and post in this forum how I get on. But before I uninstall Multiterm, I will contact Trados and find out whether it is possible to download a fresh copy from their web site, without buying it again.

Astrid

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Trados Customer Center Feb 23, 2006

Hi again,
But before I uninstall Multiterm, I will contact Trados and find out whether it is possible to download a fresh copy from their web site, without buying it again.

That is possible - go to the Customer Center where you downloaded the software initially.

Best, Ralf

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
well, the question is, what's broken... Feb 25, 2006

I suppose there's no way of mending this cumbersome piece of expensive software once it breaks?

I may be a late comer to the subject, but my experience is that starting with some magic / dark number of entries MultiTerm turns molassas.

Maybe the solution for you is not changing / refreshing the program, but the data: export the contents to some editable form (xml, txt ...) , brush it up / clean it / dust it/ filter it and then create a fresh/leaner version of the same.

One of these days I intend to do the same with my family jewels (I mean my main TM;)

Regards

smo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm not functioning

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »