TRADOS: how do I get Trados to change date formats?
Thread poster: Jeremy Somerson
Jeremy Somerson
Jeremy Somerson
Local time: 15:49
German to English
May 23, 2006

I am using TRADOS 7.0

I would like to have Trados change date formats automatically from the German dd/mm/yyyy to the US mm/dd/yyyy when translating in Word. This works automatically when the dates are embedded in a sentence. However, standalone dates are skipped. Please advise!

Jeremy

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Changing the date format May 23, 2006

Options, then Translation Memory Options, then Substitution Localization. After that, choose your date format.

Astrid

Note added: Ah, sorry! I see what you mean! I think the way not to have dates or numbers skipped is to unclick the boxes concerned in the Substitution Localisation menu, so that they are no longer treated as variables. However, then you would have to manually change the format each time, so I guess it is better to leave things the way they are!

[E
... See more
Options, then Translation Memory Options, then Substitution Localization. After that, choose your date format.

Astrid

Note added: Ah, sorry! I see what you mean! I think the way not to have dates or numbers skipped is to unclick the boxes concerned in the Substitution Localisation menu, so that they are no longer treated as variables. However, then you would have to manually change the format each time, so I guess it is better to leave things the way they are!

[Edited at 2006-05-23 18:17]
Collapse

Jeremy Somerson
Jeremy Somerson
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Standalone dates are skipped May 23, 2006

Yes, that's the problem I found. It's either one or the other...

Anyone else have a solution for this?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Purely numerical dates are non-translatable content May 23, 2006

Sorry, Jeremy - dates containing numbers only are not recognised as translatable text.

Best regards,
Ralf

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Word or TagEditor? May 23, 2006

You can open the ttx files in a plaintext editor admitting regular expressions and use a regex search&replace run.

In MS Word, the wildcards are not as good as the "usual" regex, so I am not sure if you can do it without resorting to VBA (but using VBA you can make it for sure).

If it is a few dates only, it is probably not worth the effort. For a larger file or repetead use, you migt find it a viable option.

HTH

Antonin

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:49
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
You can do a lot with wildcard searches May 23, 2006

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

In MS Word, the wildcards are not as good as the "usual" regex, so I am not sure if you can do it without resorting to VBA (but using VBA you can make it for sure).

It's true that wildcards are not as powerful as full-fledged regular expressions, but you can still do a lot with them.

You may find this article useuful - it specifically deals with converting number formats using wildcards searches in MS Word:

http://aboutranslation.blogspot.com/2005/05/how-to-use-wildcard-and-format.html

[Edited at 2006-05-23 20:45]

[Edited at 2006-05-24 16:34]

Jeremy Somerson
Jeremy Somerson
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tips May 24, 2006

Thanks Riccardo - yours seems to be the best solution out there. A bit complicated, but workable!

Too bad that TRADOS doesn't provide a workaround for this. It seems to be a pretty significant drawback.

Thanks again to all for your input.

Jeremy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS: how do I get Trados to change date formats?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »