100% - Repetitions
Thread poster: iamsara
iamsara
iamsara
Local time: 20:35
English to Spanish
May 25, 2006

Hi all, I’d like to know exactly the difference between 100% matches and repetitions. I’ve been reading old messages and TW help but it’s not very clear for me.

Thanks

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:35
English to French
+ ...
Hello Dubloc May 25, 2006

Very simple.

Repetitions: segments that are repeated several times within the same text. The first occurrence of the segment is counted as a No Match, a Fuzzy Match or a 100% Match (depending on whether you also received a memory to work with). All other occurrences of the same segment are called repetitions. So, if you have a segment that occurs 10 times within a text, your CAT tool will consider that you have 1 No Match or other category (since the first occurrence of that particu
... See more
Very simple.

Repetitions: segments that are repeated several times within the same text. The first occurrence of the segment is counted as a No Match, a Fuzzy Match or a 100% Match (depending on whether you also received a memory to work with). All other occurrences of the same segment are called repetitions. So, if you have a segment that occurs 10 times within a text, your CAT tool will consider that you have 1 No Match or other category (since the first occurrence of that particular segment WILL need to be translated) and 9 repetitions.

100% Match: First off, you CANNOT have any matches if you don't have an existing memory to work with, supplied by your client. A 100% Match is simply a segment that, when you opened it, was also found in the memory you are using for this particular translation. These are usually segments that you don't need to touch. However, if your client requests that you proof the 100% Matches, you should charge your proofreading rate for all 100% Matches.

So, the difference is that while repetitions can be counted in a source text that you don't have a memory for, 100% Matches are occurrences of an identical segment in a memory - thus, if you don't have a memory, it's impossible to have 100% Matches.

Here's my trick for Trados analyses: I have created a memory that's empty (there are no segments in it and I never worked with it - it's blank) and every time I get a job, I open this blank memory and analyze the document using it. This way, I get to know how many No Matches and Repetitions there are in a text. If you do a test, you will see that when you use a blank memory, the analysis NEVER finds any Fuzzy or 100% Matches - only No Matches and Repetitions are found.

I hope this helps!

Good luck!

[Edited at 2006-05-25 18:51]
Collapse

iamsara
iamsara
Local time: 20:35
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Got it! May 26, 2006

Thanks Viktoria, I am quite familiarized to work with Trados, but wasn´t sure at all whether repetitions where within the source text...

All clear now and thanks also for your tip

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

100% - Repetitions

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »