Thread poster: Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 15:50
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
May 26, 2006

MS Word .doc files opened in TagEditor (7.5.0.756), ttx translated, when I want to "save target as" TagEditor says "error while writing breaks"; I cannot get the translated doc files out of iit. Any ideas?

TiA

Antonin

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-05-26 13:43]

Richard Hall
Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:50
Italian to English
+ ...
First try to verify tags May 26, 2006

I repeatedly had the same problem a couple of weeks ago and ran the gneral tag verifictation. In the window showing the problem tags, look at the messages precededed by the yellow warning sign. Most of the times, I was able to find an important tag that had not been copied into the target document. When I added it, the target saved properly. Very unfortuneately, though, I had to create a new folder with a new word doc to be translated and auto-translate the whole document all over again. I hope ... See more
I repeatedly had the same problem a couple of weeks ago and ran the gneral tag verifictation. In the window showing the problem tags, look at the messages precededed by the yellow warning sign. Most of the times, I was able to find an important tag that had not been copied into the target document. When I added it, the target saved properly. Very unfortuneately, though, I had to create a new folder with a new word doc to be translated and auto-translate the whole document all over again. I hope you don't have to resort to that.

Good luck
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I know this problem - but not exactly the solution May 26, 2006

It is very likely, that you have a section break or a page break in your document, not having a paragraph mark preceeding it. If you look at the original document and find something like that, than entering a paragraph mark before page/section break might help.

You could also try another machine (mine for example - by sending me the original file and the translated file to info sign doku minus trans dot de).

I have had such problems on some documents and eventually deci
... See more
It is very likely, that you have a section break or a page break in your document, not having a paragraph mark preceeding it. If you look at the original document and find something like that, than entering a paragraph mark before page/section break might help.

You could also try another machine (mine for example - by sending me the original file and the translated file to info sign doku minus trans dot de).

I have had such problems on some documents and eventually decided to retranslate them in Word

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jerzy a lot May 26, 2006

Actually, time was really pressing on me, so I retranslated the files in Transit using an export of the TM. It was a little extra work (mainly due to a few differences in segmenting rules and tagging) but I managed to do it quite quickly, after all.

I should have known I would be sorry when the customer persuaded me they preferred Trados to Transit.

Is it a known bug of TagEditor then? I could make a "p
... See more
Actually, time was really pressing on me, so I retranslated the files in Transit using an export of the TM. It was a little extra work (mainly due to a few differences in segmenting rules and tagging) but I managed to do it quite quickly, after all.

I should have known I would be sorry when the customer persuaded me they preferred Trados to Transit.

Is it a known bug of TagEditor then? I could make a "prefiltering macro" for Word files before convering them into ttx to avoid this problem, but this should be done by Trados programmers at the first place, for the money the program costs. Oh, well.

Thanks once again.

Antonin
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Well, I don´t know if it is a known bug May 26, 2006

as I have had that before I had my support contract with them.

Would I have been in your shoes I would have done the same. TBH it is exactly the same I did once, but I uses Word/Trados instead of Transit. Somehow I cannot warm my heart up for this tool

Regards
Jerzy

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
It IS a known problem. May 31, 2006

It's documented in SDL's knowledge base:
http://sdl.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sdl.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1684

Regards,
Benjamin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error while writing breaks

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »