Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 23:10
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jun 5, 2006

I have A, B, C ... translation memories. I want to combine them in ABC, with TUs getting the TM attribute field, with values A, B, C.

- doing it after the fact, I admit, but there's always room for improvement -.

I exported them all, created an ABC TM with the attribute field, valued A, B, C and them imported them (A with field set to A, B with field set to B, C to C) but there's no difference.
... See more
I have A, B, C ... translation memories. I want to combine them in ABC, with TUs getting the TM attribute field, with values A, B, C.

- doing it after the fact, I admit, but there's always room for improvement -.

I exported them all, created an ABC TM with the attribute field, valued A, B, C and them imported them (A with field set to A, B with field set to B, C to C) but there's no difference.

Looks like TUs do not get the textfields and attribute fields tagged to them on import...

So am I supposed to go and add the tags into the exported txt files ?!. Tell me it isn't so...

TiA

Vito
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Add to setup Jun 5, 2006

Hi Vito,

When you import the TMs (File\Import), Trados should give you various options for "Import mode", "Existing translation units" and for *New Fields* either "Ignore" or "Add to setup".

Perhaps the "Add to setup" option was disabled?

If the new field has been added to the TM, it shouldn't take you long to filter the new segments in the Maintenance function and add the values you require.

HTH,

Giles

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Several steps Jun 5, 2006

Hi,
You say that you "set field to A" before importing, but if your exported TUs didn't have any text field, Trados won't add anything when importing.

So you have two possibilities
- modify TMs A, B and C separately to add a text field before exporting them (choose exactly the same field name as in your new global TM)
- import TM A, modify all the TUs to set the text field to A, then import TM B, modify all the corresponding TUs to set the text field to B, and do t
... See more
Hi,
You say that you "set field to A" before importing, but if your exported TUs didn't have any text field, Trados won't add anything when importing.

So you have two possibilities
- modify TMs A, B and C separately to add a text field before exporting them (choose exactly the same field name as in your new global TM)
- import TM A, modify all the TUs to set the text field to A, then import TM B, modify all the corresponding TUs to set the text field to B, and do the same with C.

HTH
Marie-Céline
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
use Maintainance for this purpose (*) Jun 5, 2006

One can add (i.e. add, merge, overwrite) all I wanted in the filter definition of the maintainance command.

Thje most stupid way to get A, B and C then tagged is to import the three files on three different days (gg) . Then one can select the corresponding collections of TUs (call them Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday) and tag them with the selected Attribute.

Of course, you may decide it's not worth waiting and go for three different hours of the day (g).

smo... See more
One can add (i.e. add, merge, overwrite) all I wanted in the filter definition of the maintainance command.

Thje most stupid way to get A, B and C then tagged is to import the three files on three different days (gg) . Then one can select the corresponding collections of TUs (call them Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday) and tag them with the selected Attribute.

Of course, you may decide it's not worth waiting and go for three different hours of the day (g).

smo

(*) which is what I guess both Celine and Giles tried to tell me.

[Edited at 2006-06-05 17:41]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to add attribute fields and text fields to existing TUs

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »