Looking for Pre-owned Trados 6 to 7.1
Thread poster: Vadney (X)
Vadney (X)
Vadney (X)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 13, 2006

Hello:

Does anyone have Trados 6 to 7.1 and is not using it? Perhaps you'd like to re-sell it and recoup some of your investment?

I'm interested in a legal Trados 6 to 7.1 at a reasonable price.

Please contact me directly if you are interested selling your licensed software with the dongle, etc. at [email protected].

Thanks very much,

Harold

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:41
English to Polish
+ ...
Not easy, but there is an alternative Jun 14, 2006

Harold Vadney wrote:

Hello:

Does anyone have Trados 6 to 7.1 and is not using it? Perhaps you'd like to re-sell it and recoup some of your investment?

I'm interested in a legal Trados 6 to 7.1 at a reasonable price.

Please contact me directly if you are interested selling your licensed software with the dongle, etc. at [email protected].

Thanks very much,

Harold

Hi Harold,

I was investigating the possibility of selling my freelance licence, but it turns out that it is assigned personally to the original buyer and any transfers must be done with the knowledge of the SDL company which now owns Trados.

I thought it to be too much of a trouble and upgraded my freelance licence to SDL Trados 2006 for my laptop, so that I do not have to borrow my LSP licence from the PC.

If you want to work with Trados formats, like Workbench RTF and Trados TagEditor, both are supported by the much cheaper XLIFF Translation Editor from Heartsome. I'd suggest buying the Professional Version, it's got a faster TM engine and supports MySQL as the TM backend.

HTH

Piotr

Vadney (X)
Vadney (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Pre-owned Trados Jun 14, 2006

Thank you very much for the recommendation, Piotr, it was very helpful.

I was certain SDL/Trados would have some hitch to their customers' freedom to do what they wish with the product they purchase. I can understand not copying it or distributing it on a network but preventing free and legitimate commerce by re-selling legacy versions and transferring the legally acquired licence in its entirety is a bit underhanded, in my opinion.

Like most businesses today: grab the
... See more

I was certain SDL/Trados would have some hitch to their customers' freedom to do what they wish with the product they purchase. I can understand not copying it or distributing it on a network but preventing free and legitimate commerce by re-selling legacy versions and transferring the legally acquired licence in its entirety is a bit underhanded, in my opinion.

Like most businesses today: grab the money and think of the consumer later, if at all, but do have the fine print ready.

Thanks again. You were very helpful.

Harold
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:41
English to Polish
+ ...
This is why I recommended Heartsome ;) Jun 15, 2006

Harold Vadney wrote:

Like most businesses today: grab the money and think of the consumer later, if at all, but do have the fine print ready.

Thanks again. You were very helpful.

Harold

Although I enjoy working with SDLX part of the SDL Trados suite, their support leaves much to be desired now. Usually they "can't reproduce" a problem. I solved one problem myself after a few weeks.

On the other hand the guy that does the development of Heartsome software is very helpful. He is able to make a patch even within a few hours of reporting a bug.

Another thing is whether you like the interface, but I learned not to be fussy about GUIs.

Regards,

Piotr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for Pre-owned Trados 6 to 7.1

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »