TagEditor crashes when opening xml file
Thread poster: Kenneth Beattie
Kenneth Beattie
Kenneth Beattie  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:11
German to English
Jul 18, 2006

I use Trados Freelance version 6.5 and have received an xml file from my client for analysis and (hopefully) translation. My initial problem was how to create an *.ini file so that the file can be opened in TagEditor. I downloaded a "DTD Settings creator" "ingen2.exe" from a Trados website and ran the program to create the *.ini file (got this information from another forum topic). I now can open the xml file without being asked by TAgEditor to specify the DTD settings so this part has possibly ... See more
I use Trados Freelance version 6.5 and have received an xml file from my client for analysis and (hopefully) translation. My initial problem was how to create an *.ini file so that the file can be opened in TagEditor. I downloaded a "DTD Settings creator" "ingen2.exe" from a Trados website and ran the program to create the *.ini file (got this information from another forum topic). I now can open the xml file without being asked by TAgEditor to specify the DTD settings so this part has possibly worked.

The problem is now that TagEditor crashes when opening the xml file.

This is the first time I have done this so I am definitely stumbling around in the dark: Could it be that the xml file is too big for TagEditor to handle (2 MB)?? Or perhaps I need to go back a step and check the *.ini file I created to see whether it actually is OK? Is my version of Trados (see above) possibly not compatible with the xml file?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated
Thanks.

[Edited at 2006-07-18 22:23]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:11
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Did you registrate your version (6.5) with Windows Jul 19, 2006

When you switch between versions of Trados you have to registrate each time with Windows. (Start-Programs-Trados-Registrate)
Just guessing, I had this problem last year.
The ini-file is only for Workbench, as far as I know. You can use TagEditor without Workbench or ini, shouldn't crash.
Regards
Heinrich

Kenneth Beattie
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
no success when registering my version of Trados in Windows Jul 19, 2006

Thanks Heinrich for your suggestions.
I registered Trados 6.5 with Windows and unfortunately TagEditor is still crashing. I also opened the file in TagEditor without the Workbench running but the same thing happened. Surely Workbench has tzo be running to make use of the TM during translation?

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 07:11
English to Russian
Try "Translate" from the the WB Menu/Tools Jul 19, 2006

I had the same problem in Trados 7.1 several times even with the .ini file sent to me by the client. The solution is to open the WB without opening the TagEditor and to first translate the xml file using the Menu/Tools/Translate function. It will create a TTX file which you should be able to open in the TagEditor. If that does not work, check for the error message number and see the SDL Trados s... See more
I had the same problem in Trados 7.1 several times even with the .ini file sent to me by the client. The solution is to open the WB without opening the TagEditor and to first translate the xml file using the Menu/Tools/Translate function. It will create a TTX file which you should be able to open in the TagEditor. If that does not work, check for the error message number and see the SDL Trados support question and answer page at http://sdl.custhelp.com/

As to ability of Trados 6.5 to handle XML files check the application's help for file formats supported. I am not sure it does, but can't check for you as I have switched to Trados 7. (part of SDL Trados 2006) and deinstalled the previous version.
Oh, and check the DTD settings in both (the WB and the TagEdiitor) they should be identical (XML).

[Edited at 2006-07-19 17:28]
Collapse

Kenneth Beattie
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks - your suggestion worked :) Aug 14, 2006

Thank you very much for your suggestion. The file opened eventually (took a while to process).

Although the file opened, some of the translation units were huge and unwieldy. Also, it seems that the tagging in the xml file needs to be carefully defined as otherwise you get reams of code clogging up the translation file. I'll need to find out a bit more about preparing xml files for translation as I don't think the conversion program I used to create an ini file successfully produce
... See more
Thank you very much for your suggestion. The file opened eventually (took a while to process).

Although the file opened, some of the translation units were huge and unwieldy. Also, it seems that the tagging in the xml file needs to be carefully defined as otherwise you get reams of code clogging up the translation file. I'll need to find out a bit more about preparing xml files for translation as I don't think the conversion program I used to create an ini file successfully produced a workable solution here...

In the end I asked the customer for an rtf file instead because it would have been extremely awkward to work with the xml file.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor crashes when opening xml file

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »