T6.5 Dongle : using a USB/Parallel adapter?
Thread poster: Mathilde DOMENGET
Mathilde DOMENGET
Mathilde DOMENGET  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:39
English to French
Aug 23, 2006

Hi
I'm using Trados 6.5 with a Parallel dongle. I will now switch to a brand new laptop, with no parallel port and wonder if using a USB/Parallel adapter would be feasible.
SDL say some customers tried it but it didn't work properly - only option being updating to SDL/Trados 2006.
Has anyone had the problem?
Many thanks

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:39
German to English
USB dongle works on my laptop Aug 23, 2006

I have Trados 6.5.x.441 on a 4-year old Dell laptop and it works fine. It even works on an external USB hub plugged into the laptop.

Mathilde DOMENGET
Mathilde DOMENGET  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:39
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Workaround Sep 12, 2006

I found a workaround (thanks to Skatrine, which had a similar issue with SDLX).
A Parallel/USB printer adapter won't work but using a PCMCIA or CardBus card will do the trick.
Such a card will create a SPP/ECP/EPP parallel port on the laptop.
The dongle was not recognised right away though, I had to update the dongle driver from S
... See more
I found a workaround (thanks to Skatrine, which had a similar issue with SDLX).
A Parallel/USB printer adapter won't work but using a PCMCIA or CardBus card will do the trick.
Such a card will create a SPP/ECP/EPP parallel port on the laptop.
The dongle was not recognised right away though, I had to update the dongle driver from SafeNet (http://www.safenet-inc.com/support/tech/sentinel.asp). The dongle type is Sentinel Superpro.
Before installing this download, make sure to uninstall the existing driver. To do so, browse to C:\Program Files\Rainbow Technologies\Sentinel System Driver and double-click on SetupSysDriver.exe. Then select Add/Repair/Remove Installation and remove the driver.
Once the latest driver is installed, the dongle should be recognised.

[Edited at 2006-09-12 10:46]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

T6.5 Dongle : using a USB/Parallel adapter?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »